U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,470 times

Advertisements

Winder is a great place to live with many people from all areas of the country.
I am in real estate and live in Winder. If I can help you with finding a new home in the Winder area please feel free to call me. Also go to my website
[URL="http://www.georgiarealestatefinders.com"]www.georgiarealestatefinders.com[/URL] and you will be able to see all the homes listed in the Metro Atlanta area.
I can be reached at 678-549-0051.
Sincerely,
Gwen Foernsler
Solid Source Realty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 14,190 times
It would be nice if people used the forum www.widerbarrow.com (broken link)

Then their chatter would tell you.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 31,569 times
I live in Winder and most are right in order to be a part of this community you MUST be involved with the church or homegrown. I moved here from Cumming but was raised in Roswell/Dunwoody, even being born and raised in Ga. did not prepare me for the culture shock I experienced in Winder.
Barrow County Government is close to incestuous, everybody is related and they are all padding their pockets. The schools are HORRIBLE, we are moving for that reason alone. Infrastructure is indeed lacking, houses are sitting on the market that were built 2 years ago, the market is flooded with first time homes and the problem is getting worse as the forclosures kick in.
There is no sense of community in Winder/Barrow, not like the neighborhood I grew up in. You never see kids outside playing, there are no activities for the kids to do, the parks are laughable.
I would recommend you look at Hoschton, Braselton or Jefferson before Winder plus Jefferson has some of the best schools in the state.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 14,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbecca View Post
I live in Winder and most are right in order to be a part of this community you MUST be involved with the church or homegrown. I moved here from Cumming but was raised in Roswell/Dunwoody, even being born and raised in Ga. did not prepare me for the culture shock I experienced in Winder.
Barrow County Government is close to incestuous, everybody is related and they are all padding their pockets. The schools are HORRIBLE, we are moving for that reason alone. Infrastructure is indeed lacking, houses are sitting on the market that were built 2 years ago, the market is flooded with first time homes and the problem is getting worse as the forclosures kick in.
There is no sense of community in Winder/Barrow, not like the neighborhood I grew up in. You never see kids outside playing, there are no activities for the kids to do, the parks are laughable.
I would recommend you look at Hoschton, Braselton or Jefferson before Winder plus Jefferson has some of the best schools in the state.
On the outside looking in...a lot of places look better. Athens has entertainment but has a bunch of restrictions. Winder is definately setup up with the good old boy network and if you are in the circle all is well. It sounds like you want more rural. Just remember the ER room time etc. before you jump. I've lived in towns much much smaller than Winder.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 PM

96 posts, read 380,424 times
Default Winder..

Sandra, the above post is correct. I am Italian and live in Jasper, a mountain community with a thriving group of dentists. I am from Long Island and have never had any problems..Fogetaboutit and go for it, you'll be fine. There are Mexican people there as well. Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 12,723 times
Default Do Not Move To Winder

I have lived in Winder for 28 years. As a child Winder had nothing to offer children. There are no parks, museums or anything for kids to do. It is still that way today. The city's money is not spent on improving the community for the residents. It is spent to pay the too high salaries of the city and county government employees. The roads here are the same as they were 10 years ago. The railroad tracks and the flooded underpass when it rains has been a pain to deal with for 28 years. The money spent on Winder High School was not enough to make it large enough to hold all the kids there, after the renovation there are still trailers in the parking lots used as classrooms. The people here are nice to your face but as soon as you turn your back they tell your business to everyone in town. It is constant competition here as far as what you drive, where you live, what you have and so on, People here have nothing better to do so they concentrate on miniscule things such as the "keeping up with the Jones's". The median income here is $40,000 give or take, it is mostly blue collar work. Nothing has much changed here in 28 years except we have every fast food eatery you can think of. We also have plenty of banks for all the low income people to deposit their checks into from Akins or Walmart. People here are big fish in a small pond. If you put them in the city of Atlanta they would be lost. Most do not take the time to leave Winder. I find there is too much ignorance here in regards to culture, diversity and exceptance of anthing new or different. Most of the people I graduated high school with have been to jail, are in jail, have been arrested for drugs, are still on drugs, or the ones that have done ok still live in Winder, raising their kids, who are bored out of their minds. Please do your family a favor and move somewhere else. We are moving up north to get away from racist and judgmental people that fill this boring, forgotten fast food town.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,993 times
Default Moving to Winder

I just returned from a trip to Winder where I was house hunting (as my family and I are moving to the area from Ohio). I'll be working in Athens and my wife (potentially) in the ATL area. I found a great old house near downtown- much nicer and much cheaper than I would've found in Athens. My new landlord (who knew me all of 30 min.) had me over to their home for dinner and sweet tea. She's a lifelong Winder resident and her husband is from the NE. So, I got the skinny from a lifer and a transplant. Winder seems like any other rural town in the South or the Midwest, but with worse traffic due to proximity to Atlanta and Athens. My wife and I are fairly liberal individuals but have lived in so called "conservative" places our entire lives (we're originally from Kansas). Winder seems fine to me, familiar. Racism exists everywhere in my experience, it's just more obvious in some places. I'm looking forward to living in the South, particularly in Winder. It felt like a community, unlike so many of the sub-divisions I visited in the area (no offense).

Last edited by printswindler; 06-13-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
Hi, I work in Winder and live in Flowery Branch. Both places are quant locations but if you are looking for a place this is a country setting with lots of open land with pastures and cows, then Winder is the place. It is approximately 55 to 60 miles north of Atlanta and is very accessable to major interstates for convience. Winder is still a small southern town with a lot of southern charm. The residence of Winder are kind and accepting and are just as curious about outsiders as outsiders are of them. Like all places, there is going to be good and bad. If you look for the bad, then you will find the bad. But if you look for the good in people, then good people is what you will find. Winder is a nice little town that is, for the most part, easy going and quiet. Don't let anyone discourage you from making a decision based on their perceptions, come and make up your own mind. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
lol I love the south! It has traditions and social manners the north has long tossed out the door. I lived in Elberton, in Elbert Co. Population of approx 10,000. My hubby was quite "northern" yet small town. He didnt fit in well. If you like slowin down, enjoying family and life move to rural Ga. EVERYWHERE has issues with racism dont fool yourselves! Just some ppl dont talk about it. I was drug, by hubby, back up north and hate HATE it here. Michigan to be exact. The blacks hate the whites and racial slurs do fly from their mouths. Im looking to come back to the sleepy southern, we have manners and social etiquette south! I now have a small child and I want the best social graces and manners God, I and a community can give her. Regardless my hubby was a 'yankee' lol.. ppl did accept him, he had manners and was very polite. Its not just the southern culture thats not for everyone..its anywhere they arent comfortable with the social ways of an area. God...please get me back home!!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,904,256 times
Aside from traffic in the central business district being a total ****ing nightmare as long as the sun is up, it's a nice area, not far from Athens, Gainesville, Lake Lanier or Gwinnett County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia