Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 10,980 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I'm a 30 year old single guy who will be relocating to the Southeast for my job (I already have the job so job market etc is not important to me). What is Athens like for a professional in his thirties? What is the dating scene scene like for someone that age (I'm worried it will mainly be college students who wouldbe too young)?

Any advice about how athens would compare to columbia, sc or greenville, sc?

Thanks
Bannoona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM

13 posts, read 43,907 times
DON'T DO IT! I'm 34 and have been living in Athens for the last five years. I feel OLD here -- everyone is so much younger. I've had guys in bars here buy me drinks who are ten years younger than me and I am too young to feel like a cougar. Overall, I've been really unhappy in Athens while living here, although there IS a lot to do for a city of its size, and the proximity to Atlanta is nice. I've just accepted a job in Greenville, SC, where I believe I will be much happier.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 43,907 times
Greenville is much larger (my current boyfriend lives there) and much less of a young/hippie/college town. ALSO, what people don't tell you about Athens is that there is a LOT of poverty here. Gas here is about .30/gal more expensive than it is in Greenville, and housing prices are absurd considering that most jobs in Athens don't pay anything. You work for UGA for the privilege of working for UGA, not for the money. (I don't and never have worked for UGA, but they are, by far, the largest employer here).

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 17,041 times
Default Greenville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissarose78 View Post
I've just accepted a job in Greenville, SC, where I believe I will be much happier.
You will be much happier. I'm 25 and have done practically everything that Athens has to offer. I moved to Greenville over the summer, and have absolutely love it here. The downtown has a similar feel to Athens, but much nicer and without the drunk college students spilling into the street. Greenville still has a college crowd (Clemson, Furman nearby), but they don't overtake the area. If you are an outdoorsy type, and enjoy some good dining, you'll love it here. Great festivals and live music too!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,041 times
Whoops, didn't see your second post. Look like you already know you're making a good decision.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
I would choose Greenville over Athens myself. I live in Athens now. Still consider relocating. Poverty remains a huge issue and a growing one. For the record, I do not blame those who are in poverty, live in public housing or don't have a reasonable start in life. It is just a fact though that too many are in that group. I do not know what the age spread here is but of course the 18 to 24 year olds dominate I would think. Plenty of people enjoy downtown and many fight to stay here even after graduating. The music scene, the club/bar life and the laid back atmosphere attracts many. Just depends on your lifestyle.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM

255 posts, read 463,947 times
Interesting.

I've got the other perspective...wonder what it's like to retire to Athens. Obviously the jobs market isn't a big consideration, although I might take some of those "low-paying jobs" for some extra pocket money. Wouldn't be renting but rather, buying home/land.

It strikes me that all the facilities offered for college students, malls, theatres, restaurants, etc. would equally benefit old codgers like me. Plus there are all those college coeds for eye-candy.

Worried about the cost of living though. Those comments on gas prices really bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: