Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 48,946 times

Advertisements

There is an often overlooked accent in the south that is found in the coastal states of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and some other states. My family and I have this accent, yet it is quickly being replaced by a General American or "Appalachian-like" accent in the states where it previously dominated. Through the generations the accent is becoming less distinguished, for example: my grandparents and I speak with non-rhoticity (leaving the letter r out of words), yet my mother and sister who have spent more time in cities have rhoticity in their speech. A good example of the classic coastal Southern accent can be found in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJspmTfqks

In case you're wondering, my family and I are from central Georgia: that's why I'm posting this here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
My mother's family is from coastal Georgia. I know exactly what you mean, particularly regarding non-rhoticity...my aunt pronounces the word 'tournament' as 'tunamint', for example. It's a lovely accent, although for members of my family that moved north it's by and large faded away. I remember when my aunt would visit her daughter in Connecticut neighbors would drop in just to hear her talk.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 48,946 times
My grandmother gets the same fascination by others as your aunt did. She works in freight shipping and speaks to Puerto Ricans on a daily basis, they love the way she talks. Many of my family members moved out of Georgia, including myself, yet I seem to be the only one that has retained the non-rhoticity of the accent: it's a strange phenomenon.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
I loved to hear Lewis talk. Its better than music, but then I love any Southern talk.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM

137 posts, read 242,365 times
I absolutely love to listen to those who speak a Georgian accent. I just cant believe that I live abot as far south in GA as you can get, yet, most seem to talk like they are from up North. Ohhhhh, and when a true southern woman talks that true southern GA way, is it ever sexy!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,970,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarysRichard View Post
I absolutely love to listen to those who speak a Georgian accent. I just cant believe that I live abot as far south in GA as you can get, yet, most seem to talk like they are from up North. Ohhhhh, and when a true southern woman talks that true southern GA way, is it ever sexy!
Travel but a few miles west of you to Folkston and you'll hear many more southern accents.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 AM

137 posts, read 242,365 times
Default swamp things

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Travel but a few miles west of you to Folkston and you'll hear many more southern accents.
Oh yes, I have been there quite a bit. They speak in 'Swampese' over 'dere don't they? I know one thing, Folkston's restaurants suck though. Otherwise I like it. Now further down, in the 'toe' of GA around Saint George, is an entirely different unique accent also. They must have some kind of Indian population down in the 'Toe', because I seen a complex for PowWows. Do you know anything about it? I think it is in Moniac.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:49 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
doesn't folkston have a solid bbq buffet place? Can't remember the name. Was near Okeefenokee one of its entrances when we went to visit. Had a gator statue in the doorway. It hit the spot.

Love the accents. Love em so much. In GA they even seem ever so slightly different I do declare than Chahleston. I like old timers accents from all over the country, but the southeast coast is my favorite yet. A close second would be Boston Irish. Or Minnesohta. Many of my acquaintances here in Savaaanah have it still. Again, baby boomer generation or older, and from old families here. Well I do certainly enjoy listening to them.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:52 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,113 times
The old Savannah accent is nice -- I agree, SavLife. But I don't think it includes many baby boomers. I'm a boomer myself, and it was very rare to hear it at school among my classmates. But their parents (all now past age 75, and most in their 80s), yes. My old Savannah teachers had the accent, so it wasn't a "fine families" accent per se. A lady down the street from my parents, who passed away several years ago just shy of her 100th birthday, was from a regular working-class Irish family and grew up downtown across from a square. She began as a nurse at the old Candler Hospital downtown in the mid-1930s and retired around 1961, I believe. But she had that very smooth, courtly Savannah accent, one of the nicest any native English-speaker could have. But it is fading fast.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Like all accents, it's very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia