Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 05:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,673 times

Advertisements

I am From SC.

I have a thread that was originally titled.

America's First "Greatest" Generation"?

Later I retitled and reposted the thread to be less confusing.

Is the pre World War 2 Generation underappreciated?

I may be biased lol but I think someone from the South would get the point of the thread and I could use some assistance with some posts on either thread explaining what I was try into get across.

Also if you were born in the South you might think this post needs an answer. Its post number 11 from the first thread. An honest opinion but very harsh if you ask me . Here it is but you need to read some of the thread to get the full context.

(OP, The generation you are talking about is quite small when you subtract the immigrants. They did not really do much in the way of changing our lives. They took care of themselves but that was about it. They did not start the major industries, that was the generation before them. They did not save the world, that was the generation after them. I really don't see where they did much of anything outside of their small circle of family.

I will always give credit to The Greatest Generation. When you compare the world they were born in to the world that they died in there is no comparison to any other generation.)

I find what I have in bold in that post laughable but read the thread (its not too long ) to understand the context.

Thank you

senecaman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:09 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I am From SC.

I have a thread that was originally titled.

Later I retitled and reposted the thread to be less confusing.

I may be biased lol but I think someone from the South would get the point of the thread and I could use some assistance with some posts on either thread explaining what I was try into get across.

Also if you were born in the South you might think this post needs an answer. Its post number 11 from the first thread. An honest opinion but very harsh if you ask me . Here it is but you need to read some of the thread to get the full context.

(OP, The generation you are talking about is quite small when you subtract the immigrants. They did not really do much in the way of changing our lives. They took care of themselves but that was about it. They did not start the major industries, that was the generation before them. They did not save the world, that was the generation after them. I really don't see where they did much of anything outside of their small circle of family.

I will always give credit to The Greatest Generation. When you compare the world they were born in to the world that they died in there is no comparison to any other generation.)

I find what I have in bold in that post laughable but read the thread (its not too long ) to understand the context.

Thank you

senecaman
My grandparents and great grandparents are from that time period. All were southerners. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You do realize that generations are general term for a 20 year span.

I know enough about our family history to know that while every branch of our family was hit hard, all of them persevered and continued. No one in any of any of my family branches started an industry, though plenty worked in them. Several missed out on opportunities due to that 10 shadow, but they didn't stick their heads in the sand.

During the Great Depression, one grandmother left the farm in TN and came to the city and found work in a textile mill. She and her husband followed the slow and steady pace of moving up in that industry and retired comfortably in Florida. They were not isolated. They traveled and did well. That grandfather served in the First World War. He was the only 20th century immigrant (1906) out of all of our relations and also a Veteran.

Everyone comes from immigrants, unless they're 100% Native American.

Two other grandparent/great grandparent sets were living semi-rural/semi-urban lives during the Depression. Really, their primary changes during the 1930's were also to move away from farming and more into urban occupations. Family ties were still strong, but they were not limited to just family. They were definitely begining to be more integrated into the larger world. Another returned from serving in the First World War, went to work in the ports and started a family. Another became a police officer and a trolley conductor. Another operated a boarding house in the city. All came from farms.

Maybe that's the change? Urbanization. At least in my family tree.

And now that I check their records, it looks like all of the men in my family who were adults during the Depression served in WWI. Those who were children during the Depression, served in WWII.

Last edited by ellie; 02-07-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,673 times
I keep on messing up and not explaining myself well but here is the point of the threads I listed above those being

The threads are not about the WW2 Generation. They are about their parents and their largely forgotten efforts to keep the country going through hard times and how they passed the best of their qualities onto their children who fought WW2.

If you read those 2 threads please by all means post on them. They would be greatly appreciated.

Also it might be confusing but this post in bold was not written by me and is post number 11 in response to my thread America's First "Greatest" and my response to it was post number 15 in that thread. This is post number 11

Last edited by senecaman; 02-07-2015 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia