Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times

Advertisements

you're worried south Georgia is too liberal!?! btw if you want to visit mountains you realize you if you live in South Ga you aren't going to be visiting them every weekend unless you plan on spending half the weekend in the car. Sounds like you want to move to north Georgia. Then again, you said that is too "cold"? err. Sounds like your parameters for a region are rather difficult to find. Tropical weather. Mountains. More conservative than South GA. Maybe.. Kentucky, in the summer? I concur with you makle, though. Florida is an ugly wasteland. Mostly because conservatives let tourism driven businesses ruin all the beaches by packing stripmalls and tacky crap all along the beaches. That is also why you don't have parking. I usually point people of Walmart to either Mytrle Beach or to Florida for precisely that reason. (Exception: the Gulf Shores. The Gulf area is really nice. Feels like a different state.) Oh, and low morals? You probably want to stay away from Savannah. Lots of gays here. Especially lesbians. Good luck in your search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 18,851 times
SavannahLife,
I didn't say South Georgia was too liberal, I have never been there or spoke to the people from there. I just can't align myself with certain logic. That's all. I don't dislike liberalism at all, just don't want people forcing "their" views on me and I'll do the same. That applies to all aspects of my wife and my life. Yes, I can't have my cake and eat it too...Mountains/Warm Weather. I got it. I am just looking for "Mayberry" if you get my drift. Nice place, nice people, easy lifestyle and all around southern hospitality. Maybe that's too much to ask for, but like I said, I haven't traveled this country as much as many of you guys out there, so I figured, ask someone that knows. As far as conservatives ruining the beaches, I don't who ruined them and I won't pass the blame. As they say, "it is what it is". I've learned that politically, everybody is dishonest. If not, this great country of ours would be THRIVING by now.
And although I am not gay, I am not anti gay or a homophobe. Live and let live, please don't force your lifestyle on me and my family. I don't have to agree with you to get along with you and be a great neighbor. I am not a bigot or a racist.
With that in mind, thanks for the advice, I will take it.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:50 AM

your first question asked if there were non liberal areas of south Ga. hence the surprise, as it is a fairly conservative area. Not familiar with Mayberry. I have your same personal opinion about planned neighborhoods though, it is why we do not live in one. I want to get chickens sometime this year actually. I don't intend to dump tons of turf products on my lawn to keep it blazing green either. Now for people who want to be in those communities, nothing against them. It has pros and cons. It's just not for me. So I understand. I also have the live and let live philosophy, provided for a few overarching public policy arena type type things, like low crime, preserve environment, good education etc. But in rural southern states I find many folks push their conservative politics quite hard. Which is kind of ironic I suppose. Anyway, I still think in terms of weather, mountains and so forth, you might enjoy North Georgia or somewhere in the south appalachian area. It is not that cold, well... except this year! I WILL say this. Perhaps it is something about mountains. But people in the mountains, and I mean all the way from North GA to western NC and perhaps farther even, seem to have a distinct relaxed, and live/let live philosophy.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makle View Post
Thanks again.
Are there any "non liberal" areas in Southern Ga.?
Ha!! That's pretty much all of South Georgia.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:31 PM

SavannahLife,
I should have been clear, Mayberry is the fictional town from the Andy Griffith show. You know, after all the replies, I should have said, I want to live in a "live and let live" small town close to beautiful scenery and mild winters. Apparently, you can't have it all. I am willing to compromise. I really didn't want make this a politically correct discussion because that's not me or my wife. We just want to live out the rest of our lives in peace. I think all of our questions have been answered and we REALLY APPRECIATE all of your input, you guys are great. Thank you once again.
Wyoming, huh?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 AM

That one went over my head! Well, I am a millenial. WY, hm perhaps. Oh like you I have no love for political correctness. I ain't got time for that! Yes that is a meme reference. I see P.C. from both sides often. At least as much from so called conservatives. They can be precious snowflakes. I enjoy that Savannah is a somewhat liberal oasis and so I am ready to settle down here. Best wishes in your journey. Home is where you make it.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM

130 posts, read 210,060 times
Keep in mind that "South Georgia" refers to well below Macon. Perry, Valdosta, Cordele, Leesburg, etc. is/are South Georgia. South Georgia does have a ton of gnats in a particular part of the year that are everywhere. Look at the top rated Alabama cities that are all in a line going south from Birmingham also. Tennessee has a under the surface crime problem and crooked cops that has been a problem for decades. FYI east TN is nicer to most* people than western TN. If You bought some acreage a little farther inland and didnt have HOAs, would that have fixed 90% of Your issues with Florida? Yes, I do know about the libs there. (New York South)

Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 PM

southman,
thanks for the insight. Never thought about Tennessee much. Funny though, just watched a video today about the 10 worst states to be in during an emergency. Tennessee was in the top 3. High crime and there was no mention of crooked cops.......great! We are wondering about Huntsville Alabama. Our son moved there about 4 months ago. If you can, please give me an area in Tennessee to look up and get some ideas. Like I said, we're open to where we go, just nice folks and "decent" weather. Already looking into wool layers. Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Another area of interest that you might want to look into would be upstate South Carolina, in the Spartanburg-Greenville-Anderson areas. Close to the mountains, but not so close that you freeze your tuchus off in the deep of winter. And conservative as the day is long; over 60% voted (R) in 2012.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:34 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
OP, when the question is Georgia the answer is always yes. Love Georgia. I'm originally from California and have lived in over 10 states (and travelled in over 40 of them) .. by far, my favorite is Georgia. I'm unfortunately not in Georgia now, but Georgia is always on my mind. I can't wait to get back there... oh, and this is coming from a liberal, but a liberal who has come to sincerely appreciate the honest, down home ways of people who live and let live and know what it means to be good a neighbor. You don't have to agree to get along .... very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia