Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:45 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

http://www.atlantanewhomesdirectory.com/images/mls/1998567.jpg (broken link)

http://www.atlantanewhomesdirectory.com/images/mls/2020338.jpg (broken link)

Those new development houses near or in Atlanta are just amazing! The top picture is 5/4/2 with basement and 4145 total square feet(estimate 3100 living) and they want $248k for it. This comes out to $80 per living square feet, $60 per total square feet! What was wrong with those houses that you saw in person? Were they smaller than they look in the pictures? Did they have flaws? Are they really real brick? How big was the basement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,999 times
Actually I saw some great houses in some of the new developements in and around Atlanta but what concerns me is the surrounding areas. Some of the new developements are in "revitalized" areas, some are a few blocks from what I would call " bad or ghetto" areas. I also noticed that in some of the newer developements, the lot sizes are ridiculously small! I mean you and your next door neighbor are nose to nose from the kitchen or bathroom windows
I really love Georgia but I realize that I need to do a lot of research before I decide on where I want to live. But I must say....most of the model houses I checked out were great

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,453 times
Default I live in Lawrenceville

Hello all y'all! I have lived in the Lawrenceville area for almost 14 years since relocating from the midwest. I find the area hospitable and charming. Most of my neighbors are relocated from other parts of the county with a few from other countries. I actually live halfway between L'ville and Suwanee but have a L'ville address. I recommend the area highly. Relatively good public schools (but big!) and good shopping but the traffic sucks (the traffic sucks all over Atlanta). I've never had a problem with crime.

When I first moved here, I worked in Midtown (by the Arts Center) and my commute was anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on the time of day and traffic conditions. I wish MARTA ran all the way up into Gwinnett but it doesn't.

Then I began working in Alpharetta. My commute was about 40 minutes but I used all backroads. I watched the transformation daily of the rural areas as they became upscale neighborhoods.

When I first moved here my subdivision was off of a 2 lane contry road. It is now a 4 lane road with a median strip. Almost every road around here has been upgraded and in some cases move to a completely different route. One thing I can say about Atlanta suburbs is they change fast. Friends that thought they were buying out in the country 8 years ago are now in the middle of a suburban metroplex. Areas that were seedy 5 years ago are now gated communities.

I definitely recommend that you visit before you purchase a home and perhaps rent. Things change fast in the part of the south!

Old 11-11-2006, 05:18 PM

62 posts, read 173,064 times
I'm not sure how much of a commute you are willing to make, but south suburbs such as Stockbridge and McDonough are nice. Traffic, OH MY GOD, get ready, no matter where you live in Atlanta. I lived in Atlanta for five years then moved to Minnesota.

I can really appreciate the distinctness of the areas of ATL. At least you know when you are driving into a not so good area. Here in Minnesota, you can be in a million dollar neighborhood, then cross the street and are in the hood. Remember Uptown that Prince sings about, it is a beautiful urban area. But, less than three minutes further up the road, BAD BAD BAD.

Back to ATL, Cobb County, more bad than good. Someone mentioned Alpharetta, fabulous, Roswell fabulous and pricy but worth it, I think. Avoid College Park and southwest ATL. And be careful with these newly constructed houses. ATL was good for throwing a brand new subdivision up in a month or so. Stone Mountain is nice also, but it is far out like Lawrenceville and Covington. But nice and quiet if that is what you are after.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2006, 05:28 PM

233 posts, read 906,518 times
Default Price Out....

Just a heads up about pricing out crime and unruly neighbors.

I have a friend in GA who paid in the $350's for his home, all to find the same negative behavior and attitude he was trying to escape. Such as, not cutting lawn, not putting trash out properly, and have non working cars on main street in front of house.

This bothers me because I am in no position to price out anyone; considering I can only afford up to $150K. I'm figuring if that same "slacker" neighbor exists at the $350K level, what should I expect at the $150K level?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:30 PM

51 posts, read 287,416 times
Cobb County has great schools. Acworth and Kennesaw are nice towns to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia