Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 09:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,883 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to either Peachtree City or Fayetteville from Rochester NY. After several days of visiting the many communities and schools south of Atlanta, we feel that these two areas would be a good fit for us. My main concern is schools. I have two children. One will go into 9th. The other into 6th. I received a tour of Stars Mill and Whitewater but ran out of time and only stopped into the office at McIntosh. I was a little shocked at the lack of security Stars Mill and Whitewater had, but I thought the curriculum was good and overall they seemed like decent schools. I didn't like that they have a few trailers and after walking around it seems like there may not be much money in their budget for improvements or just simple things like a fresh coat of paint. There was even mention of a stadium at Stars Mill that was purchased by the parents! When I stopped into McIntosh I was relieved to find they had better security. The entrance led me right to the office. When I walked into the other schools, I walked through the hall to get to the office and sign in while kids were changing classes. I never had time for a tour of McIntosh but I am wondering if I could get some feedback about the differences between the three school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,885,301 times
You can't go wrong with any high school in Fayette County. The differences between those three are splitting hairs. The reason security may seem to be lacking is that it isn't needed. I'm not sure what "secure" may mean to you. Around here in Gwinnett a lot of schools have an officer and just a lot of teachers on hall duty or bus duty and that's all that is needed.

You need to look over the Atlanta subforum for answers to your questions. It's much more active and relevant to anything for Fayette County.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:11 PM

I was just surprised that it was so easy for anyone to enter the building. I currently live in a safe area but it is impossible to get into any of our schools without getting buzzed in. I'll check out the Atlanta forum. Thank you.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,885,301 times
I'm a substitute teacher in Gwinnett. I never have to get buzzed in. At least one door at the front office is unlocked. Elem, middle, high, doesn't matter. A lot of other exterior doors are unlocked, mainly at high schools for class changes. That's just how it is here, very safe environments. I did see a parent get scolded once by a school officer for trying to enter the building somewhere other than the front office. There are signs on all the doors saying that visitors must check in with the front office first but that's it. Still, nothing ever happens

Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,368 times
As mentioned, all of these schools are excellent and it will be a matter of where you choose to live. I live in the SM district and I do have to 'buzz' in at my kids elementary school, but no, not at the high school (kids there too). BTW, the SM stadium is a really nice stadium so I do not believe parents paid for it. I've been here 10 years. They DID, however, pay for the really, really nice jumbotron in the stadium.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 AM

72 posts, read 88,955 times
None of the above. Fayette County HS. Go Tigers!!! Why isn't this in the Atlanta area sub?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am not that experienced with this site, so I posted in the wrong area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia