U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2006, 09:31 AM

129 posts, read 591,064 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled upon this site, what a GREAT scorce of info! We are currently living in Mcdonough/henry county, and want to move up north cobb county thinking of kennasaw.
I have looked at test scores and all that stuff already, but want to know from the "locals" in that area, what is the reputation for the best public elemantary, midddle and high school in that area.. ANY and ALL info would be great.
One reason we want to move is b/c the school system here or at least OUR particular zoning for our school is not good, Yes they have passed all there "testing" etc, but still not a school I want to keep sending my kids too. I think every town has certain schools that are just better than others in that same area, so I really want to know from people who already live there etc what the "word" is! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 11:09 AM

426 posts, read 2,139,307 times
I would suggest that you move into the Harrison High School District. The Kennesaw Mountain district has great schools as well but the growth occuring in those areas are sporadic and you will no doubt have to deal with the insane traffic along Stilesboro Road, the main road connecting you back to Barrett Pkwy. and I-75 to carry you down into the city. Kennsaw Mountain High School has an amazing orchestra program and Harrison has a fine Marching Band. I woud say that Vaugn and Due West Elementary in the Harrison District is the best elementary schools in the area. Either way though you will be moving into suburban paridise! Kennesaw and West Cobb are very beautiful, clean family-oriented communities. I noticed you said you wanted to move to Northern Cobb. West Cobb is nicer and offers better schools. North Cobb High School which services parts of Kennesaw and all of Acworth is not on par academically with Harrison and Kennesaw Mountain. Also, school violence is more common at North Cobb High.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM

51 posts, read 262,424 times
I've heard something about almost every High School in Cobb County. No High School is completely free of problems...they all have some degree of drugs, violence, gangs, teenage problems, etc, etc.

In the 12 years that I have lived in Kennesaw, I have heard the following:

1. Harrison has a big drug problem.

2. North Cobb, used to be a school of excellence, but, started having a lot of fights over the past few years.

3. Make sure you buy in the Kennesaw Mountain School District, so, your children don't have to go to Harrison (with the drug problem) or North Cobb (with the fighting)...what makes people think that they don't have any problems at KMHS?

The reality is all High Schools have some problems. It's all about the choices your student makes, the friends they choose to hang around with, and how much you communicate with your student. I have children that have attended both North Cobb and Kennesaw Mountain and they had great experiences! BUT, they stayed active in sports, clubs, volunteering, community and school spirit/involvement, focused on their grades, etc.

I have had friends that have had children attend Harrison and they have wonderful things to say about the school, teachers, and principal.

Kennesaw Mountain has a great ROTC program and band that have won many awards. The principal really cares about her students and they have a teacher that runs one of the best spirit programs that I have ever seen. They have one of the top Magnet programs.

North Cobb has a new Magnet program of International Studies. The principal has put a very strict conduct policy in place. Any student involved in fighting will be given 10 days out of school suspension for fighting, another 10 days out of school suspension for disrupting the education process, and then the police will be called and they will be arrested....needless to say, fighting has come to a stand still at the school. They only had one fight all year and that was some girls fighting over something stupid.

I've lived in Kennesaw for 12 years and it is a great place to raise a family and live. I would not hesitate to buy a home any of the school zones. However, North Cobb is an older High School that has gotten a lot of updates. Harrison is newer...and Kennesaw Mountain just opened up in 2002. There is also another High School that just opened up this year...I think it is called Hillgrove. Another High School will be opening up in the near future as well.

What I suggest is that you go on the Cobb County School district website and read about the different schools and compare their records etc. You can also request a new comers package...and maybe visit some of the schools before purchasing.

Kennesaw is about to break ground on a 42 acre park (Swift Cantrell) and it is going to be wonderful. Visit the City of Kennesaw website for more information about the park and other community information.

Good luck!

Last edited by irish2; 11-10-2006 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 44,191 times
Default Top Elementary Schools

I would say that if you go by test scores, Ford Elementary is the tops in West Cobb. Vaughn and Due West are good, definitely, but Ford has better scores. Of course, that is not the only criterion on what makes a good school. We are currently in the Ford district, having been redistricted several years ago from Frey. Both are good, but Ford seems to have a significant amount of parental involvement that went above and beyond the typical. They also have an Odyssey of the Mind team that has gone to Worlds several times. Lots of extra-curriculars. As for high school, in Cobb County, Harrison is not a bad school. It is an Advanced Placement model school, or something like that. And, no matter where you live, your kids have the option of applying to one of the several magnet programs in Cobb county and the county then has to bus them to the school. So, I'd pick schools based on elementary and middle, figuring that the high school then can't be so bad, and if my kid gets into a magnet program, that's just icing on the cake.

Jennifer

Old 11-11-2006, 01:13 AM

Jennifer....that was a great reply.

As far as Magnet schools. We live in the North Cobb High School district, but, my son was accepted to the Kennesaw Mountain Magnet program the first year the school opened...and he was in the first graduating class. It was a great 4 years...however the school is not required to bus the students to and from school like they would if your child went to the local high school. They designate pick up and drop off stops that are central to where most of the students live. It is the parents responsibility to drive their student to the pick up and drop off spot...or make arrangements.

Kennesaw Mountain offers many AP classes. My son actually entered college with 13 credits based on the AP's he took in High school and how well he did on the tests. It all depends on what the college will accept and some want only scores of 4-5. We went to a meeting at North Cobb about the AP courses and they have quite a few being offered to students. They've also changed the GP configuration this year in the schools. AP courses weight out at 5.0 for an A...they are no longer giving the extra .5 for the honors classes. BUT, they still recommend the honors classes, as they challenge the students and most colleges will look to see if a student took the harder classes being offered at their High School in the selection process. Also, if your student is taking a language, you may want to check out how many years are being taught in your High School. Both my children took Japanese. One High School only taught I and II....the other offered several levels higher. KMHS offered Math up to Equivalent of Calc III (only a few schools offered it) and that was because it was a Math, Science, and Technology Magnet School. When a student goes to a Magnet school and they are not in the magnet program, they sometimes have the opportunity to still take some of the classes that are part of the Magnet program if there is room in the class. Kennesaw Mountain and North Cobb both have Magnet programs.

Not only do you want to check out the scores of the school...you want to look at the classes that they offer and the programs within the school. There are some great business and technology programs being offered as well.

I've talked a lot about the High Schools, because my children are now in that age group, or off to college. We had great years at Kennesaw Elementary School and Awtrey Middle School...My children were active in the clubs and student activities and sports.

Each school has their claims to fame and have won their share of awards and competitions.

You can look at scores all day....but, it's all about parental involvement, student involvement, and what you and your child make of the years they are in school to prepare them for the future. The teachers can only do so much.

Bottom line is, check the scores, visit the schools, check out the area where you may want to live, and make the best decision. Keep in mind, if your children are young, you may start out in one school zone, and then they may build a new school, etc and rezone you. This has happened to many people, especially with the new schools being built and the growth of the area.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 PM

129 posts, read 591,064 times
Thanks for the quick replys, .. I know every school especially high schools have there problems, That is why I sortof wanted to know what the "word" is around town on the schools, but my oldest is only in 2nd grade so yes elementary(obviously ) and middle school are of much greater concern for us.

Does anyone have any info on Lewis elem or Durham Ms? Or Frey or Bullard ES? Or Lost Mt ms?? Thanks again for any info..

Old 11-11-2006, 08:15 PM

Those are all great schools.

If you want to look at test scores or find out more information....check out the cobb county school district website...also each school has a link to their website from cobb district main site.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,451 times
Can anyone tell me if there is any elementry school in cobb that has magnet program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or