Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:04 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMON&SPORT View Post
Also if your child or you would like to go to college Georgia is the place to be. They will pay for most single parnets and child to go to school.
If you are talking about HOPE scholarships, then be aware that potential HOPE scholars must work a bit harder to earn their scholarships now. Starting with the class of 2007, HOPE Scholars on the college prep track must graduate with a minimum 3.0 grade point average. That's a "B". Those in the career/technology track must graduate high school with a 3.2 GPA -- and the high schools they attend must also be eligible for HOPE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times
I am thinking about moving to Ga also. Like you I'm a single parent,and it seems to me that were you work counts most! A friend of mines moved to Ga she said the same thing the commute can be bad if you work far from were you live. What I wante to know is ehat if you don't have at lot of work history or no degree what then?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Lashon,

Atlanta is a service based economy and the kinds of jobs you can get with no degree or little experience pay very poorly. Please consider this as you make the decision to move. Lots of jobs that pay minimum wage or just above. Lots of affordable housing that is in less than desireable areas.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 AM

12 posts, read 82,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
Good Morning All

I am a single mother that is relocating to GA in the summer of 2007. Being a single mother is hard enough, but being a relocating one is even harder. I have a few questions for the single parent here and especially the one that relocated.

1. How much money did you have when you relocated/

2. What kind of afterschool programs do they have where you live?

3. Did you decided to rent or buy your home?

4. Do yu find it easier to live in GA than where you relocated from?

5. Was it hard for you to obtain employment.

6. How is the school system where you live

7. What county do you live in and how do you like it? Would you reccomend it to someone else?

8. Do you regret your decision?

If you can answer these questions and tell me anything else that you think that I missed, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tammara
Hi, I am a single Mom of 2. I move to ATL from DC..I live in Alpharretta area, great school, good high paying jobs. My gran Mother babysits in my home. If you move to Alpharretta area I can help you out with baby sitting at a reasonable fee. You will need about $3000 at least so that you can take you time getting a job or maybe $2000, I had saved quiet a bit before moving.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times
I am a single mother moving to ga. I need to know the best place to live in or by marietta I would like to live in a middle class neighborhood with low crime rate.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,564 times
Default Single mother considering relocating from CA to GA, need advice!

Hey All!

I too am a single parent and considering relocating to GA from CA. I have a 4year old son and looking for an upscale diverse, safe, family oriented community to raise him in. i will be renting for starters. In addition, I work in the legal industry as a legal secretary so I would like to know how the job market is in GA for this field. I have over 10 years experience in the field. Also, I would need advice on a good preschool for my son. Somewhere that is affordable, diverse, safe with excellent teachers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for a better quality of life for my son. Although California is a beautiful place to live, it's very expensive!!! I would like for my son to have a backyard to play, and a front yard for that matter, and some room to run. I would like to be able to work a flexible schedule so that I am able to pick him up for school as well as drop him off.

This move is going to be real hard for me as California (SF Bay Area) has been my home for most of my life. I love CALI, but is it's about giving my son a better quality of life as a single parent.

Pls advice.

Thank you in advance.

Lilqte

Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,656 times
Default Relocation!!!

Hello I am in the same boat. A singlemom trying and going to relocate from NY to either Ga, or NC by March 08. So I have the same question and in need of the same help.
Thanks,
Worried --from ROC

Old 08-04-2007, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 17,827 times
Default South Ga

Have You Ever Thought About South Ga. Housing Is Not Expensive. I Live In Irwin Co. Ga. About 2 Hours From The Fl Line. The Schools Are Good It Is A Small Town So More Attention To The Students Class Room Sizes Are Small. We Have A Lot Of Industry. In Tifton Ga About 20 Minutes We Have Alot Of Distrubution Centers And They Pay About 15-20 Dollars An Hour. You Could Get Government Help With Daycare And Health It Is Easier Down Here To Qualify For Those Things Take It From Someone Who Has Lived In The Atlanta Area And Tried To Get Government Help. Also My House Is For Sale If You Are Interested.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 AM

52 posts, read 204,611 times
I was going ot ask the same question, why not find a different area than ATL? I'm moving there shortly, only because military says I have to, but we are going to be living in Mableton area, because its only about 1/2 hour from where we work in Atlanta. But why not look around at other places? Atlanta is a big city and there are alot of people looking for jobs, and alot of people just looking period. I've been to some of the smaller cities (augusta and others on the eastern side) and had lots of fun. I know you ar eall single for one reason or another, but you want ot find a man, move near a military post...kidding kidding, i know not funny. But in reality, if your close to a military post, daycare isn't bad priced (usually a military wife who is bored) and there is plenty of housing that isn't too expensive. We paid 500 a month in augusta for 3 bedrooms, and 75 a week for our baby (less than a year old) to be babysat 5 days a week, plus they open early (because we're always up and at work before 5 am). If you guys have questions on that side of the state, pm me I'll try to help...

Otis

Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,182 times
Unhappy ATTENTION SINGLE PARENTS...Relocating

I am a single mother of twins.After care is not that hard to find. I moved here from So. Florida last year June and I regret it completely!!!! Employment is hard to get & the pay is not that great. I'm in the Hiram (Dallas) area and it is hard to find a job that will pay you over $9.00 an hour. I do have years of work experience in the health field and I also have my Bachelor's degree. I have signed up with every staffing agency in the area & in Atlanta. I have also applied at Wellstar hospitals. I had to work as a substitute teacher, which pays $7.50 an hour and pays once a month to get some money in. I would not jump & buy a house here like I did. Rent first if you want to test the waters here. The traffic is terrible!!!! I miss Florida terribly & I am planning on moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia