Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:21 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If anybody thinks that taking down a flag, removing a symbol that's been around as long as it's been around - a symbol that was NOT ever intended to become the radical racial, hurtful symbol that it has become - will stop violence and hatred? Then may I sell you a bridge in New York?
1. Which flag? The VA Battle flag (the popular CSA flag)? Or the Stars and Bars?
2. Intent means nothing. Nothing. Effect is everything. If something or someone incites hate or violence, then he, she, or it is hateful, pure and simple, end of discussion.
3. I do agree, however, that simply taking down the Confederate flag is one of many steps that are long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:54 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If anybody thinks that taking down a flag, removing a symbol that's been around as long as it's been around - a symbol that was NOT ever intended to become the radical racial, hurtful symbol that it has become - will stop violence and hatred? Then may I sell you a bridge in New York?
Nothing will stop violence and hatred. There is a benefit to the end of state veneration of the flag that has come to serve as a symbol (to society and also to the haters themselves) of hate directed at specific individuals. Doing so will serve to reduce the harm inflicted by state veneration of symbols of hate directed at specific individuals. It won't heal the damage that causes someone to practice bigotry, but it will help start to heal the damage implicit state endorsement of hatred has on those subjected to such hatred.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:46 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I agree with this. I bet a majority of Georgians, black and white, have no clue the current GA flag is basically the first flag of the confederacy.
Obviously none of you know that Georgia never had an official state flag until 1879. And this one is pretty similar to the flags that existed prior to 1956. The first flag of the Confederacy had stars, not the Georgia seal.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Not even looking at violence or racist intent--the flag is modeled after the "national" flag of the Confederacy--all of the citizens of a state should be able to be proud of its flag--this flag is so tied to a past that is so hurtful to so many--it belongs in the past.
Well the Confederate flag was modeled after USA flags.

Do we eliminate red, white and blue flags?

The Texas flag looks a lot like the Confederate flag, although it predates it. Should it be changed?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:58 PM
bu2

I wonder how long it will take people to start complaining about 6 Flags. You all do know what one of those 6 flags is?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

The Texas flag looks a lot like the Confederate flag, although it predates it. Should it be changed?
That's a digression. The Texas state flag was not used as an anti-Civil-Rights emblem in the 20th century.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:34 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times
I find it curious the direction some are coming at this. The question is, why not change it? State flags change often.

Plus, it is cost benefit. The cost is angering deeply a large percentage of the population. The benefit is. ???? A warm and fuzzy feeling for a particular sentiment two centuries ago!? Seems like a no brainer. Change the flag. Way bigger fish to fry. Economic opportunity, public safety, health, environment, etc.

And by the way, I think if people want to buy it on Amazon and put it on their lawn, good for them. Of course, I can't imagine that will make many friends or work out well for them. But hey, that's your right in America. But public institutions like the state flag should not have a Confederate symbol.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Are all red, white and blue flags adopted with the purpose of remembering/honoring the Confederacy? Was the Texas state flag?

At a minimum, the offending flags were modeled after Confederate flags with the purpose of remembering/honoring the Confederacy (and one could easily argue even more nefarious symbolism). Such a flag has no business being a public symbol of modern Georgia.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:48 PM

130 posts, read 243,387 times
Maybe one of y'all can enlighten me if I'm wrong but I fail to see how our current flag is in any way, shape or form tied to racism or the confederacy. Now if we still had the one prior to the current flag I'd probably be for changing it too. Have people really forgot why we changed the flag in 2001 to begin with? It was changed because of the flack people gave understandably in alot of ways. I really fail to see how the hell our current flag is tied to the confederacy. And I'm really dumbfounded as to why after all these damn years people wait until some evil weirdo walks into a church and robs 9 people of their lives to suddenly be outraged, why do it now why do we always wait until a tragedy happens to suddenly address issues we normally wouldn't and when we do the outrage isn't the same until this kind of thing happens. The confederate flag currently flaunted is the battle flag known fact. Growing up in Columbus contrary to popular belief I very seldom seen one until I went to a rural area. I know it sounds crazy bit alot of people that have one or display aren't necessarily racist in their mind its a display of southern pride even though I doubt some of their families were even in that damn war if not most. It's the fact it was used in the civil rights era as something for hatred and ignorance that lead most to believe its a symbol of racism. I'm no fan of the confederate flag by amy means has anyone really stopped and thought why the media is going so hard body on this? Instead of addressing the overall issue we minimize and focus on a damn flag he had on his jacket. Simple divide and conquer tactics they merely want to distract us from the bigger picture and we fall for it everytime without fail like some dumb asses but what do I know?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross706 View Post
Maybe one of y'all can enlighten me if I'm wrong but I fail to see how our current flag is in any way, shape or form tied to ... the confederacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_...tes_of_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_o...ia_(U.S._state)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia