Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,805 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Grayson, GA with my husband and our two-year-old daughter. We…don’t love it. Both of us have lived here since we were young children and in a lot of way it’s not an awful place to live, but the part that gets us is how conservative and bigoted it is. We’re very uncomfortable with the attitudes people have around here about race, sexuality, religion (we aren’t religious), everything it seems and I can’t imagine raising my daughter and her future siblings here. We’re looking for a more liberal/accepting area where we can plant our roots and hopefully raise our family forever. Ideally we’d probably prefer to move out of state (up north or out west) but that would take us so far away from ALL of our friends and family, so we’re looking for closer options. We know Atlanta is pretty progressive but while we love to visit we are not really people who would like living in a big city full-time. Is there anywhere else in Georgia that would be more comfortable for us, and also be a good place to raise a family (good schools, safe, etc.)? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
I don't know much about anything other than this small portion North of Atlanta. I wouldn't call Roswell "big city". It's suburban, pretty much the entire thing.

You can check out the politics of Roswell here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Roswell-Georgia.html

Scroll down a bit more than half-way, to "Presidential Elections Results".

Old 07-07-2015, 01:04 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Come to Savannah! The Islands are safe.. visit and decide for yourself, or have you been here before? Then again if you are looking for really liberal but keeping the nice southern weather, Asheville NC may worth visiting and considering.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I have found that a metro area the size of Atlanta, even though full of conservatives, will have just as many on the left side of the spectrum whatever direction you go from the core city. Maybe you are too close to folks you grew up with and just a moderate change any direction will put you in touch with people who think and act like you. I don't see Grayson as anymore conservative or liberal or center than any other smaller area in the arc of Atlanta, I just think your childhood is dogging you.

Move anywhere else and you will probably see things completely different.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have found that a metro area the size of Atlanta, even though full of conservatives, will have just as many on the left side of the spectrum whatever direction you go from the core city. Maybe you are too close to folks you grew up with and just a moderate change any direction will put you in touch with people who think and act like you. I don't see Grayson as anymore conservative or liberal or center than any other smaller area in the arc of Atlanta, I just think your childhood is dogging you.

Move anywhere else and you will probably see things completely different.
I am guessing that SM may be right. That said, Athens, Ga is a University town, and is very liberal--but the schools are not highly rated--but I have friends who are happy with the schools (and some who are not). If you get a bit further out the schools get better, but the populace gets more conservative. Closer to Atlanta--I lived in the Parkview HS district before moving Intown--and while I would not consider it liberal--the schools were diverse and folks seemed pretty accepting of different viewpoints/cultures.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,805 times
I don’t know. That’s might be partly true but I mean, we’ve found KKK recruitment flyers in our yard before. I would still call the area pretty conservative. Though maybe we just live in a particularly backwoods part of town or something, I suppose.

My husband’s brother and sister-in-law lived in Athens for a couple of years and moved specifically because they hated the schools so much, so that reputation kind of precedes it. But I’d certainly be willing to look into it further before writing it off completely. Never been to Savannah, but it seems like I’ve mostly heard of it as a vacation spot…would be interesting to know more about what it’s like to live there full-time. Seems like it could be a different climate than we’re used to, though that’s not a deal breaker. Any input as to what the schools are like?

Roswell is an interesting suggestion; I’ve always heard of it as a pretty conservative town, though admittedly I’ve only ever known one person who actually lived there. She described it as “a sea of rich white Christian soccer moms” so I’m honestly kind of surprised to see that it leans democratic…though I should know better than to believe stereotypes I suppose. Definitely something to look into further. Thank you for the input everyone.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:47 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
You would probably enjoy visiting Savannah. It is quite unique. Most of the schools are not good from what I hear (no kids) but if you play it right I hear they are actually very good and art-focused: Montessori k-8 school: Ellis. Then Savannah Arts, one of the most prestigious high schools in the state. Best public schools in Savannah area? and Advice for a Family Moving to Savannah etc

You sound similar to me, perhaps, in that lived in Columbia SC and felt out of place. We moved here and it was a breath of fresh air, I love every day here. Progressive, nice people, and lovely beaches.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
This stretch of Gwinnett north of 78 is fairly fiscally conservative, not as much socially as compared to rural areas. There aren't even that many you could consider "southern" til you get to Loganville and eastward. Only a small portion of Gwinnett is still somewhat rural and even that's really just exurban.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM

236 posts, read 698,305 times
Chasing happiness by moving probably won't get you what you want. Been there done that. You make your own happiness by embracing the quirks, weirdness and knuckleheads (including family members) wherever you live. You won't find out until you actually make the move - at this point I would recommend a lease anywhere but where you're at - in a year you'll have a better idea about what you want and you won't be tied down with a mortgage. I think you'll end up back home because...well, it's home.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
Chasing happiness by moving probably won't get you what you want. Been there done that. You make your own happiness by embracing the quirks, weirdness and knuckleheads (including family members) wherever you live. You won't find out until you actually make the move - at this point I would recommend a lease anywhere but where you're at - in a year you'll have a better idea about what you want and you won't be tied down with a mortgage. I think you'll end up back home because...well, it's home.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
One of the best posts I've read on CD in quite some time. Excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia