U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM

13,422 posts, read 16,981,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I think this map is one of the better ones in showing the Central / South GA divide. I would say that the counties dividing the Macon and Albany DMA's is probably the best overall dividing line between the two. I would consider Sumter, Webster, Stewart, Quitman, Randolph, and Clay Counties to be South GA, even though they tend to identify more with Columbus than with Albany from a media POV. I would also include Jeff Davis, Appling, Bacon, and Wayne Counties out of the Savannah DMA. The rest of the Savannah DMA is either more East Central GA, or Coastal in culture, which has a different vibe than interior South, GA. Crisp and Ben Hill Counties are the counties out of the group that would be transitional in nature.
I agree with this. It's what I was trying to describe in my earlier post but it never dawned on me that the TV DMA map would illustrate it so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:42 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,037,842 times
Looks like the maps (Area Code and DMA) along with the personal opinion of a few show Dooly County as a true divider between South and Middle GA. Very Interesting.

It may could be argued that Northern Dooly County (Unadilla) is the last city of Middle GA and Southern Dooly County (Vienna) is the first city in South GA, traveling on I-75

Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

449 posts, read 820,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Looks like the maps (Area Code and DMA) along with the personal opinion of a few show Dooly County as a true divider between South and Middle GA. Very Interesting.

It may could be argued that Northern Dooly County (Unadilla) is the last city of Middle GA and Southern Dooly County (Vienna) is the first city in South GA, traveling on I-75
I would agree that Unadilla is the end of Middle GA, but would say that Vienna is transitional, and Cordele is the gateway to South GA, geographically. However, there is still a very solid connection to Middle GA in Cordele (Crisp County), and Fitzgerald (Ben Hill County) due to the fact that the Macon Telegraph is the most widely read newspaper in the area, and Macon TV stations are available, and are significantly viewed in those counties. Plus, there are quite a few people who commute daily to jobs at RAFB from those areas!!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:13 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,348,956 times
South of Macon.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:06 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,037,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I would agree that Unadilla is the end of Middle GA, but would say that Vienna is transitional, and Cordele is the gateway to South GA, geographically. However, there is still a very solid connection to Middle GA in Cordele (Crisp County), and Fitzgerald (Ben Hill County) due to the fact that the Macon Telegraph is the most widely read newspaper in the area, and Macon TV stations are available, and are significantly viewed in those counties. Plus, there are quite a few people who commute daily to jobs at RAFB from those areas!!
Very fair assessment. The end, transition, etc. is definitely around those areas.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 AM

1,449 posts, read 866,838 times
I would say wonce you get south of Macon .. and more specifically south of Warner Robbins

Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,435,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I would say wonce you get south of Macon .. and more specifically south of Warner Robbins

Totally Agree!!! South of Macon for me,,, Somewhere past Houston County/ Perry Area..

Old 04-18-2017, 04:46 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
If they ever set up a DMZ in Georgia, it would run along the Fall Line.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:16 PM

46 posts, read 26,884 times
Anything south of Zebulon Rd off I-475.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 PM

13,600 posts, read 22,053,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Having travelled this state exhaustively, the "south Georgia" mentality kicks in as far North as I-16 and slightly beyond as you travel east. Savannah has its own unique flavor and is typically anything but south Georgia. It's a enclave unto itself and yet, one can experience that flavor in Wadley, Etc.....

After that, the entire rest of the land below I-16 gets very south Georgia in a hurry....hazelhurst, Georgetown, Bainbridge, Camden, Blakely, Alma, Doerun, ludiwici, soperton, doesn't matter. It's entirely different. Not worse mind you, just different.

If you go by economics, it gets steadily poorer the further south you go outside of a few exceptions. A look through Wikipedia and any county you wish will show you the percentage of those living below the poverty line. There are counties where that number hits 34-37%. Take a peek. It's telling. Beautiful countryside abounds throughout the state but, the feeling is different.
^^^
Interesting.

Savannah vs. Charleston, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia