Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,362 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are considering a move to Athens GA because it is closer to family and the coast.

Is it bike friendly?

Quickest route to beach?

What's winter like?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowcountryMountaineer View Post
Hi, my wife and I are considering a move to Athens GA because it is closer to family and the coast.

Is it bike friendly?

Quickest route to beach?

What's winter like?

Well for starters you might try posting this in the Georgia forum. http://www.city-data.com/forum/georgia/

FWIW though I like Athens. Great music town.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:22 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:

Is it bike friendly?

Quickest route to beach?

What's winter like?

Yes, it's somewhat bike friendly depending on where you decide to live and where you want to go. There are quite a few cycling groups who go out on long rides into the countryside. It's a little hilly in places and the traffic can be tricky, like most cities.

It will take you at least 4 - 5 hrs to get to a beach. I don't consider that very close. I'd head east to southeast. There are many to choose from.

Winters are pleasantly cold with lows in the 20's many nights and often warming into the 50's. That can vary by as much as ten degrees. It's sort of rainy and it doesn't snow every year.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:

Is it bike friendly?

Quickest route to beach?

What's winter like?

Athens has a lot of of "sharrows," and most of the dedicated bicycle lanes are on wide arterial roads, but there are plenty of bicyclists around town, and drivers tolerate them for the most part. About the only time I've seen a driver get mean with a bicyclist is when the bicyclist has done something stupid. I should also note that I'm speaking primarily of Athens-Clarke County here, and I really don't know how well drivers and bicyclists would coexist in adjacent counties.

The quickest route to the beach depends on where you want to go. Generally, you're about a four- to six-hour drive from the beach, depending on your rate of speed and which beach you choose. You can take U.S. 78 east, I-20 east and U.S. 501 east to Myrtle Beach; U.S. 441 south, I-16 east, I-95 north and U.S. 278 east to Hilton Head Island; U.S. 441 south, I-16 east and U.S. 80 east to Tybee Island, U.S. 441 south and U.S. 341 south to St. Simon's Island; or U.S. 129 south, I-75 south, I-10 east and I-95 south to get to any of the Atlantic coast beaches in Florida.

Winter is sort of a half-winter in Athens. Most of the time the temperature will be too warm for snow, but still pretty chilly. The average high temperature during winter is in the 50s, and the average low temperature is in the 30s. Cold rain is the norm when there's precipitation, but there's typically one snow/ice event per winter on average, though some winters can have more than one, and some winters can have none at all. Most winter weather events are snow, but occasionally they can be ice. Most snowstorms drop 1" to 3", though 6"+ isn't unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia