Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,178,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
A former GA resident, I would consider Augusta and Savannah on a higher level, not because of their population, but they are more famous.

Augusta- Is known for the PGA tour, the country-club lifestyle.
Savannah- Is known as a southern belle city with southern charm, scenery, history, etc.,

Macon-nothin'
Columbus--nothin'
Jesse James is famous. What's your point? You might consider Augusta on a higher level, but when businesses expand and relocate they are looking for more than golf courses and country club life styles, which by the way the Columbus area have plenty of. In the case of Augusta history has not been used to their advantage and they have squandering opportunities after opportunities to help themselves. Columbus has even used the Civil War to its advantage. During Masters the media has used that time to convince the US and the world that Augusta is a back wards town, which considers women second class citizens. Like I have said before, I am hoping that Augusta will move forward, this will be good for the whole state of Georgia. Savannah and Columbus has done it and Augusta can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM

383 posts, read 716,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Jesse James is famous. What's your point? You might consider Augusta on a higher level, but when businesses expand and relocate they are looking for more than golf courses and country club life styles, which by the way the Columbus area have plenty of. In the case of Augusta history has not been used to their advantage and they have squandering opportunities after opportunities to help themselves. Columbus has even used the Civil War to its advantage. During Masters the media has used that time to convince the US and the world that Augusta is a back wards town, which considers women second class citizens. Like I have said before, I am hoping that Augusta will move forward, this will be good for the whole state of Georgia. Savannah and Columbus has done it and Augusta can too.
The poster is correct augusta and savannah are more famous than macon and columbus. Augusta is the home of the masters, and james brown. Savannah has its own identity compared to columbus and macon.
Im still trying to figure out how columbus and savannah have move so forward but not augusta. Why would augusta metro population be much larger than both. Augusta downtown is getting most of the project i named earlier in the thread. Only atlanta and savannah downtown in georgia were better than augusta. And now augusta is going to pass savannah downtown. You would think residents from all around the country would flock to columbus if it has moved so much forward. But obviously alot more people have thought they should move in or around augusta compared to savannah, macon, athens, and columbus.
How can you judge a metro of 530,000 with 1 person views on life. It don't matter though you said you will vist augusta this year. When you ride down I-20 you tell me what you see. I already know over 15 cranes from columbia county to aiken county. Check how many cranes there are when you enter augusta compared to some of the suburbian counties. Columbia and Aiken

Last edited by johndoeboy; 02-02-2008 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,178,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
The poster is correct augusta and savannah are more famous than macon and columbus. Augusta is the home of the masters, and james brown. Savannah has its own identity compared to columbus and macon.
Im still trying to figure out how columbus and savannah have move so forward but not augusta. Why would augusta metro population be much larger than both. Augusta downtown is getting most of the project i named earlier in the thread. Only atlanta and savannah downtown in georgia were better than augusta. And now augusta is going to pass savannah downtown. You would think residents from all around the country would flock to columbus if it has moved so much forward. But obviously alot more people have thought they should move in or around augusta compared to savannah, macon, athens, and columbus.
How can you judge a metro of 530,000 with 1 person views on life. It don't matter though you said you will vist augusta this year. When you ride down I-20 you tell me what you see. I already know over 15 cranes from columbia county to aiken county. Check how many cranes there are when you enter augusta compared to some of the suburbian counties. Columbia and Aiken
I will see soon, I hope; what great things Augusta has done since my last visit (almost a year ago).

Old 02-02-2008, 05:43 PM

55 posts, read 75,639 times
Alll four cities are pretty much the same. Savannah is the most popular though.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
I will see soon, I hope; what great things Augusta has done since my last visit (almost a year ago).
You will be shock at how much construction is going on since you visited a year ago.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM

913 posts, read 2,971,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
Only atlanta and savannah downtown in georgia were better than augusta. And now augusta is going to pass savannah downtown.
You have got to be kidding right? Augusta along with every other city in the South (except Charleston) will never have a downtown as nice and historic as downtown Savannah.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 PM

96 posts, read 423,162 times
This is a forum. It is not only for the 'niceties' found in certain towns, but also the grievances. I have lived in Georgia almost 40 years now and am still learning about some of these areas. I weigh the good and bad about these towns and can easliy decifer which opinions are worthy of my attention. You can see right through some of these poster's remarks. Comparing Newark or Camden or Brooklyn, N.Y. has nothing to do with Georgan's or their interest in various towns here. There was a time when ALL of the smaller towns here were 'Leave it to Beaver' neighborhoods and maybe wer'e just trying to figure out where some of the cancers are coming from.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
You have got to be kidding right? Augusta along with every other city in the South (except Charleston) will never have a downtown as nice and historic as downtown Savannah.
Im not kidding augusta downtown has the savannah river also. With the projects like the watermark condos, tee center, baseball stadium, stores, parks, are planned along the water front. Augusta will start to use the savannah river to its full potential. Read the projects below and you can see what im talking about. When it comes to downtown augusta.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterRattler View Post
Alll four cities are pretty much the same. Savannah is the most popular though.
I have to disagree all the four second tier cities are not pretty much the same. Savannah is a little more popular yeah but it only gets close to a million more tourist than augusta. Now don't get wrong it crushes macon, and columbus in tourist but not augusta. Masters, tour de georgia, bass master championship, augusta futurity, and boat races help augusta tourism industry..

In 2008 through 2010 Augusta will leave columbus, savannah, and macon behind. Not exaggerations but facts.

The Watermark downtown. 200 condos 2 10 story buildings. 3 Hilton Hotels, and three floor office building. And the train depot will be turned into stores and resturants. Starting this year

Trade Exhibit Centerd downtown Starting this year

Judicial Center downtown. Starting this year
Construction Project Report - Augusta Judicial Center

Whites building downtown. 80 condos. Stores and resturants. Private parking and elevator access. Started already
80 condos to fill old J.B. White 062707 - The Augusta Chronicle

MLK memorial downtown. Either by the judicial center or on mlk boulevard. Starting this year.
MLK Memorial Location Is Still Up In The Air - News - Augusta, GA

Sibley Mill downtown. Mix-used Housing
Landmark project a vision for Sibley Mill 080507 - The Augusta ...
http://www.metrospirit.com/Image/18.46/thumb_feature_sibley.jpg (broken link)

Kroc center downtown Starting this year
Augusta's Salvation Army to Build Kroc Center | Breaking News, Weather, Sports and Entertainment for Georgia and South Carolina | Local News

Forum- Augusta 280,000 sq. ft lifestyle center. Specialty stores, resturants and 118 room hotel. Starting this year
Forum Development Group - The Forum - Augusta

Village At Riverwatch 1 million sq. ft lifestyle center. Costco, Belk, Movie Tavern, Pizza Extreme, Starplex Cinema, specialty stores, large format retail, restaurants and two hotels, the center will fulfill the demand for unique shopping, dining and entertainment. Started already
The Village at Riverwatch | The MGHerring Group

Augusta Mall Buckle, Hollister, Chop house, pf changs, williams-sonoma, white house/black market, coldwater creek, j.jill, jared gallery of jewlery, coach and other stores. Was finish Nov 2007. Only two cranes left at Augusta Mall.

Library downtown
New Augusta Headquarters Library (http://www.ecgrl.public.lib.ga.us/hq_building.htm - broken link)

Sutherland Mill downtown starting this year. medical office condominiums. It's located across the Augusta Canal from the Medical district, right beside the new St. Sebastian Way Connector.
http://www.metrospirit.com/Image/18.46/thumb_feature_mill1958.jpg (broken link)

I-20 I-520 widening lanes and adding a spaghetti interchange. Started already

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/augustainterchange/images/i-20-520/flyoverramp.jpg (broken link)

10TH street project downtown started already. New sidewalk with brick borders, street furniture, landscaping, new street lights and banners.

Ellis street project downtown started already. The project will include a new sidewalk with brick pavers, landscaping, street furniture, lampposts and banners.
Downtown Development Authority of Augusta, Georgia

I could add st. sebastian way, savannah river pkwy, james brown exhibit, baseball stadium mix-use facillity and several other project happening in augusta.

JLA that's what i was saying earlier in the thread. When you said most of the growth in augusta is happening in the suburbs. The projects i listed above are all in the city of augusta. I think if augusta suburbs had that many huge projects going on. Gwinnett county residents and state officials would be in shock that a county in georgia not in atlanta. Could grow faster than them or even faster.

Im telling you augusta is going to be on another level in the future. No other city in georgia has this much construction going on or planned for this year other than atlanta.

When you come to downtown augusta in 2008. You will see safety patrols, sidewalk cleaners, and hospitality ambassadors

Last edited by johndoeboy; 02-02-2008 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM

726 posts, read 2,808,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
A former GA resident, I would consider Augusta and Savannah on a higher level, not because of their population, but they are more famous.

Augusta- Is known for the PGA tour, the country-club lifestyle.
Savannah- Is known as a southern belle city with southern charm, scenery, history, etc.,

Macon-nothin'
Columbus--nothin'
Obliviously you don't know your history, Macon is none for strong Music background and the cherry trees/Cherry blossom festival just two name a couple and host others. So before you post make sure you know what you talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia