Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 AM

177 posts, read 221,456 times

Advertisements

Yerocal, Macon cant hold a candle to the popularity of Augusta and Savannah. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:43 AM

726 posts, read 2,818,071 times
The what really gets to me you guys love to list a host of developments in your cities and end it by saying a Macon or Columbus and savannah are behind but you need to research what these other cites are doing as well because right now Macon has sooo much development going right will make all you augustians put your foot in your mouth', Right now macon has over 3 million sq of Retail development in North Macon which includes a 2nd mall over 750,00sq. and 2 million sq of retail in south Macon... now this does not include inner city development or several highrise developoments prosed for DT and the 475/75 perimeter effect unconstruction and the 16/75 12-14 lanes widen and split reworked project making it the largest interstate project outside of atlanta..... so when you guys from augusta say Macon is behind, "i think you are the ones behind" because you had search Macon development before running off about augusta development you would see that make has just as much development as augusta or more.....

Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM

726 posts, read 2,818,071 times
According to the us census Macon may have a smaller metro pop because they are considering Warner Robins seperate which is soo stupid but with Macon and Warner Robins Combine Macon Metro would be at 450-500,000 people, Macon Serves as a economic hub for 22 counties in the Mid-Ga with a combine pop of over 600,000 people which logically says even though Macon's reported metro pop is less than augusta it's still supports and serves about the same number of people or even more and by it being so close to atlanta and 2nd after atlanta with the most interstate access the Macon area is going to contiue to soar in development. Now the new Mayor wants to expand Macon city limits 360 degree to acompany all of the new development outside the city.... So to say that augusta is so far ahead of macon is a understatement....

Old 02-03-2008, 01:29 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
A former GA resident, I would consider Augusta and Savannah on a higher level, not because of their population, but they are more famous.

Augusta- Is known for the PGA tour, the country-club lifestyle.
Savannah- Is known as a southern belle city with southern charm, scenery, history, etc.,

Macon-nothin'
Columbus--nothin'
I put Augusta and Savannah ahead of Macon because they truly are and feel a little more urban and are a little more famous, but still in Macon we have a strong history especially with our musical background, past and present. All 3 of the cities have identities.
I put Columbus last because to me its feels less like a real city than the others, what exactly is Columbus known for (outside of having a base, which all the other metros have too), poor access, less to do (in my opinion).
Columbus may have more developments going on than the other cities(even though all of the cities have developments going on),but that doesn't dispute what I mentioned previously in this comment.

I have been to all of the cities several times. I'm from Macon and have lived in Columbus RECENTLY. Columbus just comes off as less of a true city environment than the others, maybe Columbus is ready to charge in front with all the developments mentioned by the COL folks on here, but as for right now get serious. Just ride around all 4 cities.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 02-03-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 PM

383 posts, read 722,584 times
Population does matter alot of times.

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA 5,138,223

2. Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC MSA 523,249

3. Savannah, GA MSA 320,013

4. Columbus, GA-AL MSA 288,847

5. Macon, GA MSA 229,326

Does macon, columbus, or savannah have over 400 condos going up in their downtown this year like augusta.

A metropolitan area is a large population nucleus, together with adjacent communities having a high degree of social and economic integration with that core. Not some outer flung suburbs like every georgia city has. So to suggest macon has 22 counties and population of 600,000 is very misleading. How could macon support the same amount of people but macon metro is nowhere near augusta. That's like saying augusta supporsts the same amount of people as atlanta.

But ok i'll let you boast about your population with macon so called 22 counties. 600,000

Now i'll used the CSRA which is 41 cities for augusta. Burke, columbia, glascock, hancock, jefferson, jenkins, lincoln, mcduffie, mccormick, richmond, taliaferro, warren, washington, wilkes, barnwell, screven and ill stop there. I could add more.
The CSRA is over 1.5 million people.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:42 PM

So you honestly think that the LITTLE bit of development in Macon compares to that of Savannah or Augusta? You are nuts!!
Even with the PROPOSED development, Macon cant hold a candle to either town.
Also, Warner Robins is a city unto itself.....it doesnt need Macon to survive. It would be utterly crazy to include WR as a metro of Macon. You are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel to validate a rediculous arguement.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
Just a few of the condo/loft developments in downtown Columbus

1) Eagle & Phenix Mills Eagle & Phenix Mills,*riverfront loft condominiums*located in Uptown Columbus, Georgia.

11th Street Lofts 11th Street Lofts

We also have Johnston Mill Lofts which is bigger than the Eagle & Phenix. There are numerous other downtown lofts like Columbus State's new 5-story buildings (2 of them) as well as several lofts above the downtown bar district. Also, Phenix City across the river has an 11-story condo building and a 10-story condo building planned for their downtown. So, Columbus has A LOT of downtown living.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,751 times
Warner Robins is definately a metro of Macon, just as McDonugh is that of Atlanta, the same way Auburn is that of Columbus, Hilton Head is to Savannah, Aiken is to Augusta, and so on. Warner Robins is in no way shape or form its own Metro, the city is growing but t will be another 10 years before that happen, that's if there is a catastrophic breakdown in Macon. But that's a great looking development you posted ATLCOL1.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Nah....its NOT a metro of Macon and it hasnt been for a couple of years and you know it...LOL...But its nice to be missed...LOL.....with Macon`s population dwindling, I guess you Maconites need all the help you can get. I suppose you will try to say Dublin and Forsyth are Macon Metro areas next...ROTFLMBO

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,893 times
I don't see much difference between Augusta and Macon..both are bleh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia