Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,291 times

Advertisements

All,

My family and I (4 small children) will be moving to the Atlanta area in the middle of May. After looking at housing prices and schools, Fayetteville is one of our best options (from an outsider's perspective). My question revolves around North of 54 v South of 54. I have heard that you want to be S of 54. For the locals, is this accurate and why? Is the concern for N of 54 overblown? It is telling that housing prices North of 54 are much cheaper than South but just want to confirm with someone that actually knows what they are talking about.....

Thanks,

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
This is a complicated issue. In the simplest way I know how to explain this ... Hwy 54 (which is known as Lanier Avenue in Fayetteville and bisects the city east-west) is seen as the dividing line between black and white, even though what's defined as "black and white" in Fayette County is NOT same as other places.

BASICALLY ... The two high school clusters in NORTH FAYETTE (Fayette County High and Sandy Creek High) are about 50 percent black and thus majority-minority, while the two high school clusters in SOUTH FAYETTE (Whitewater and Starr's Mill) are overwhelmingly white. This is NOT a reflection of the economics or academics of any of the schools -- it's just an unfortunate reality about the way the attendance lines are drawn.

There are no bad schools -- and thus no bad neighborhoods -- in Fayette County, IMO.

My family has been in Fayette County since the 1820s (8 generations) and it's a wonderful community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia