Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:13 AM

70 posts, read 72,332 times

Advertisements

I agree Newsboy. Also I think Greenville has a lil more crime than Savannah. Savannah may have some crime but most cities do these days. Savannah is a beautiful and great city tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 11:07 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What's implied? YOU are the one who named those other cities, not me!

And Columbus doesn't hold a candle to Savannah so ... what's your point exactly?
Hey, I'll say it Newsboy: In my opinion Savannah does hold a candle to those other cities. It is far more beautiful with the exception of Charleston which is also beautiful. However, I'd pick Savannah.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe kenn View Post
I agree Newsboy. Also I think Greenville has a lil more crime than Savannah. Savannah may have some crime but most cities do these days. Savannah is a beautiful and great city tho.
In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, Savannah has more than "some crime." Unfortunately it has a lot of crime, especially gun violence. But 95 percent of it is black-on-black, drug and gang related, and concentrated in two or three areas of the city where most people, especially tourists, never go. But any crime is too much crime, and Savannah has a great sense of community that's rising up to address the issue. It's the number one thing on everybody's minds, no matter what part of the city you live in nor what demographic defines you. People realize Savannah is a great city and they want the violence to end. Community-led action will have an impact eventually. We're already starting to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hey, I'll say it Newsboy: In my opinion Savannah does hold a candle to those other cities. It is far more beautiful with the exception of Charleston which is also beautiful. However, I'd pick Savannah.
Savannah most definitely punches WAY WAY above its weight for a city this size. People who just look it up on Wikipedia or do Google Street View have no idea whatsoever how busy and vibrant Savannah is, and not just downtown in the Historic District but throughout Chatham County. Having 200,000 weekly visitors on top of your permanent year-around population does that. The days of Savannah being a "sleepy southern town" are long over. It's a bustling, fast-growing, emerging city and you feel it as you move around day to day. Several of the huge projects under way downtown (Plant Riverside, The Broughton Collection, the new arena and canal district) are only going to push it closer to "big city" status.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:33 PM

70 posts, read 72,332 times
Quote:
In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, Savannah has more than "some crime." Unfortunately it has a lot of crime, especially gun violence. But 95 percent of it is black-on-black, drug and gang related, and concentrated in two or three areas of the city where most people, especially tourists, never go. But any crime is too much crime, and Savannah has a great sense of community that's rising up to address the issue. It's the number one thing on everybody's minds, no matter what part of the city you live in nor what demographic defines you. People realize Savannah is a great city and they want the violence to end. Community-led action will have an impact eventually. We're already starting to see that.

Savannah most definitely punches WAY WAY above its weight for a city this size. People who just look it up on Wikipedia or do Google Street View have no idea whatsoever how busy and vibrant Savannah is, and not just downtown in the Historic District but throughout Chatham County. Having 200,000 weekly visitors on top of your permanent year-around population does that. The days of Savannah being a "sleepy southern town" are long over. It's a bustling, fast-growing, emerging city and you feel it as you move around day to day. Several of the huge projects under way downtown (Plant Riverside, The Broughton Collection, the new arena and canal district) are only going to push it closer to "big city" status.
Thanks for the info newsboy. I'm thinking about moving to Georgia within a year. Savannah is one of the cities I'm giving consideration. Good to know the community is trying to slow the crime down.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:10 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,164,870 times
Columbus > Montgomery > Fayetteville > Roanoke > Killeen

Old 05-24-2016, 11:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Sorry but Savannah is nowhere near the likes of Raleigh or the Triad or Charleston or Greenville....should I keep going?
Actually I disagree (Greenville).Savannah is gonna hit boom stage soon after this port expansion is completed just like when Boeing moved into Charleston

Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:

I completely agree.I just went o Savannah for St.Patricks and plan to visit again with friends within a couple of months.It feels much like Atlanta just before it goit the Olympics.There was a feeling of optimism in the city that led to the effort to even vie for the games to be held in Atlanta

Old 05-25-2016, 01:00 AM

One thing I also think is that Georgia has many more cities with populations over 25 and 50,,000 than NC,SC,AL,or TN.Although only NC has more cities over 100,000 but only 2 more than GA.

So lets be clear that we are not taliking about ATLANTA proper but ATLANTA metro and that in itsel is massive as these are individual cities with there share of prosperity.These cities grew due to proximity of Atlanta.
Alpharetta is not sufferring because its smaller.
Nor is Marietta,Sandy Springs,Roswell,Smyrna,Lawrenceville,Fayetteville, Peachtree City,Conyers,Newnan etc...
Put these cities up against cities in any of these states with similar sized populations and they will loose.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:36 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I completely agree.I just went o Savannah for St.Patricks and plan to visit again with friends within a couple of months.It feels much like Atlanta just before it goit the Olympics.There was a feeling of optimism in the city that led to the effort to even vie for the games to be held in Atlanta
I can really see this and agree 100%. I don't know why but I can completely see Savannah going to a level all its own outside the box of the other 2nd Tiers, it kinda already is. I really see it more 2nd Tier and all others as 3rd. Its population just remain lower than the others due to all other 2nd Tiers in Georgia have Consolidated governments. Athens is more 4th Tier if it were such a term.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I can really see this and agree 100%. I don't know why but I can completely see Savannah going to a level all its own outside the box of the other 2nd Tiers, it kinda already is. I really see it more 2nd Tier and all others as 3rd. Its population just remain lower than the others due to all other 2nd Tiers in Georgia have Consolidated governments. Athens is more 4th Tier if it were such a term.
The Savannah-Hilton Head area is home to 750,000 people per the 2015 Census estimates, as reflected in the size of Savannah's TV market and airport. Add to this the millions of people who visit the region annually (several hundred thousand a week during the busiest parts of the tourist season) and it's easy to see why the Savannah area looks and feels much bigger and busier than Georgia's other 2nd-tier cities.

By the time Savannah and Hilton Head are designated one CSA, a million people could be living in the area. Savannah is already the fastest growing metro in all of Georgia, and Beaufort County, SC is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia