U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 12,910 times

Advertisements

Hi I hope I dont offend any one but I am very angry with the police or at least one of them. I guess it is there policy to pull out of state vehicles over and falsely accuse them of traffic violations. This is what happened to my husband last night. We were pulled over and the cop said my husband ran a red light. He did not. I would have got all over him before that cop could have even thought twice about it. I was watching what was going on so no I didnt miss it. I guess he figures it will be to hard for us to dispute but I will do every thing within my power to see that ticket dropped because not only is it an expense for us one time our insurance premiums will go up quite a bit just so this cop could make quota. If we even thought he ran a red light I would let it go but he did not and I plan on raising a stink and everyones outside of Georgia aware of the trap they will be getting stuck in if they drive through there at the wrong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 11:08 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,886,749 times
So you're saying the light was green before, during, and after your husband went through it, but he was pulled over anyway with no reason? You're also saying that there is a conspiracy by the police to do that to completely innocent people, because they have out of state plates?

Excuse me for my skepticism, but I don't think a cop is going to risk his job to do that, but who knows, maybe I'm just naive? Go to court and confront the cop with the proof you have that there is this conspiracy, and bring the witnesses who saw him go through the green light and get pulled over. I don't know about Paulding, but in Cobb you can haggle with the Solicitor.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,240,266 times
Unless you were running a video camera at the time and it shows the light was green when you went under and through it, you'll likely not have it dropped. It's your word against a police officer's and most likely the officer has kids that go to school with the judge's kids, and they all have BBQ cookouts at each others homes on the weekends after church.

Of course, if you're like 95% of the other drivers here and were speeding even 1mph over the speed limit in that area, and the light was turning yellow, then that's grounds for a pullover, too.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 12,910 times
Neil I am the witness and my husband is the driver. I was watching it was green at all times. Why would he worry about his integrity he know that we would both have to take off not one time but at least twice ( who in manufacturing can really do that with our strict attendance policy. It is our word against his. He has a quota to fill and saw us as easy targets. If we go to court that in the end is more money because I have heard through the grapevine not to even bother as this town has a kangaroo court system in place. Its also about 2 hours over to the court system. I was watching he was easing thru there probably not even as fast as the speed limit. He did not even go thru a yellow light. I tend to be nervous out of town esp at night and was watching him like a hawk. At no time did he run a red or yellow light. I am sure of it. I would not even bother with saying anything if I even slightly felt like I was not right. We just got hoodooed by a traffic revenue town and mr cop can be happy cuz he took us for our money because we are not in a position to hire an attorney and or fight it otherwise.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,776 times
I am very familiar with those officers. Do you remember what the Officer's name was?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:08 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,022,181 times
Better choose Trial by Jury - Judge will toast you on this. And haggle with the solicitor/DA/Prosecutor, if he doesn't bend, go to court, trial by jury. If anything they'll probably try to avoid trial.

Also note insurance doesn't go by points, they go by MVR, so just b/c you're promised no points doesn't mean it doesn't go on your MVR, thus insurance rates go up.

I hope you've only been here for under 30 days, otherwise you should have registered your car by now and that excuse won't hold up in court.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 29,171 times
Cops pick on folks with out of state tags everywhere you go. They figure you won't be in town to show up at court. Its less work for them. Watch out for that, especially toward the end of the month. Thats when they like to catch up on the quota they never admit exists is either official or implied.

Good luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 AM

602 posts, read 1,770,042 times
It's been our experience (after tickets in Lumpkin and Parrott) that smaller towns don't report tickets to the state; our theory is that they just pocket the money and keep quiet. Georgia seems to generate most of its revenue from outrageous taxes and speed traps, and the problem only gets worse as you head south. I don't know what, if anything, you can really do about it. I understand your frustration, though.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 39,526 times
Default Don't pay it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
It's been our experience (after tickets in Lumpkin and Parrott) that smaller towns don't report tickets to the state; our theory is that they just pocket the money and keep quiet. Georgia seems to generate most of its revenue from outrageous taxes and speed traps, and the problem only gets worse as you head south. I don't know what, if anything, you can really do about it. I understand your frustration, though.
If you really don't believe that small towns report their tickets, then don't pay the ticket and see what happens. Also, what exactly is a "speed trap"? It's not that I don't know the official definition, but I want to hear what you consider a "speed trap".

Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,626 times
Default Hiram Traffic Ticket Cash Cow

I sat through 3 days of traffic court in Hiram for a -0- points ticket and saw many cases in which were not proven but still, the defendant got a guilty verdict. Hiram has a Professional Prosecuter standing there for all traffic infractions. I went on 21 July and fought my case. The Judge said he needed 7 days to decide my case and he would send the verdict to me in the mail. Now 9 days later. Still don't have a verdict. Don't count on the Officer to tell the truth. My Officer lied through his teeth. Even under oath. I had picture proof. I say fight the case, but prepare to know how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia