Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:07 AM

78 posts, read 368,024 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the spell check.
I feel much better knowing that I spelled clique incorrectly.
Spelling has never been my strong suit.
Sorry if my post about Dublin offended you. I lived in Dublin over half of my life so I feel I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to your opinion.
Like I stated in a previous post...
A lot of people love living in Dublin, I was just not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Dublin is home of the annual "Redneck Games." Do a YouTube search and see what you are in for, namely culture shock!!
It is a community event poking self-fun begun by a local radio station in 1996 in response to the Olympic Summer Games in Atlanta. It has become a force of its own, with television highlights featured from Germany to Australia and Japan each year. MTV in the U.S. has been especially fond.

Check out pages 20-21 of National Geographic this month (April 2008) for a freeze-frame of the Mud Pit Belly Flop event (a crowd favorite) staged in the red Georgia clay with about a thousand gallons of water added.

OhioNative, you apparently don't live in Ohio any longer, but as a native you should consider some self-deprecating humor yourself. It is a humbling exercise, and a welcome departure from arrogance and self-aggrandizement.

Some suggestions for an Ohio humor festival: the Rust Belt Extravanganza!
It should start with a Queen of the Rust Belt Contest to preside over the festivities of the day. Contestants should be octogenarian Rosie the Riveter look-alikes, with a minimum entry age of 80 and an emphasis on wrinkled, exposed bicep size. The next event could be Daring Dive into the Burning River Contest, featuring the world-famous flaming river that Ohio is known for and one that you may have swam in. The next contest could be the Toxic Heavy Metal Toss, where mutant Ohio natives attempt to toss their toxic leftovers into the next state, preferably.

The final event of the day, as the sun sets and just before the Burning River is extinguished, should be the Cuyahoga County Crazy Calling Contest, where Ohioans attempt to scream loudest for computers to be crashed and for paper
ballots to be re-instituted.

Now, before you get angry with me, realize that I love Ohio just as I love every state of my beloved country. And I especially love the people therein and the natives thereof. My point is that you can scream "culture shock" and make fun of anyone, anywhere. BUT it is far more productive and healthy to make fun of primarily yourself.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 11,812 times
Default Dublin, Laurens County, Georgia

If you are looking to relocate to Georgia, speciffically the Dublin area, you won't be disappointed. Dublin is growing leaps and bounds with a small-town atomosphere.

If you are in need of housing, we have a beautifully renovated brick home for sale. If this interests you, please email [EMAIL="dolynana@gmail.com"]dolynana@gmail.com[/EMAIL]. Thanks!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM

129 posts, read 324,757 times
For those people who drove through Dublin and did not see much , well of course you didn't. Dublin is all spread out. Those just passing through will never see the greater portion of Dublin because all they saw was the downtown section. And there is so much more to see of this city.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,976 times
Thumbs down Dublin

I think if you're professional people with any social/cultural interests, you won't like Dublin much. There's not much to do here. Macon is an hour away, Atlanta is 2.5 hours, Savannah is almost 2 hours, but those are the only places where you'll find decent thaters, music, museums, good restaurants, things to do. The people seem friendly enough but don't make friends...thinks are clickish for sure, and the Good Ole Boy Network rules. You might also want to be wary of certain realtors. We were recently sued by the biggest of them when the sale of our house felt through by mutual agreement of buyer and seller. The realtor sued for his commission anyway, and GOT it! So be careful!!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
Correction - City of EAST Dublin is home of the Redneck Games not City of Dublin.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,225 times
My family and I are considering a relocation to Dublin. We currently reside in Roseville, CA (outside of Sacramento.) We are concerned about the schools as well as the opportunity for our two young daughters(5 and 8.) We love the fact that there are so many affordable houses for sale and that our housing dollar would go a whole lot farther. We are just hoping Dublin is a town we could see living in for a long time. We belong to a really fun, progressive and contemporary church and hope to find a similiar one for our family in Dublin. Any suggestions or recommendations. We are looking to move end of March or mid April.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,032 times
I lived in South Georgia most of my life. Now in Charlotte. Ya'll come on. Tell the people the truth. Dublin is 52% black. 'nuff said.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2kids View Post
I grew up in Dublin (my husband grew up near Dublin) and some of my family still lives in Dublin and the surrounding areas. We now live @ 15 miles north of Atlanta.
You either love or hate Dublin. It is extremely "clickish."
My husband and I are "professionals" but I don't think either of us would ever want to move back.
I think it was a good place to grow up, but as an adult it does not have a lot to offer. The school situation in Dublin is also a lot worse than when I was in school.
I think the county schools are much better than the city schools, at this point in time.
Most of the people that we grew up with (that have stayed in Georgia) that are considered "professionals" have moved to other cities in Georgia. (Atlanta, Savannah, even Macon)
Good luck!
I think the same can be said about most small South Georgia towns. This same description pretty much also describes my old hometown of Fitzgerald.

Not only do these towns tend to be cliquish, there's usually an element of the population who aren't particularly fond of Northerners and people who aren't from the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia