Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 38,638 times

Advertisements

May be relocating. Same old story right...moving down from New Jersey. My mother's in PTC and I need to be nearer to her, she's now well, but within 2 hours is fine.

My brother lived in Buckhead. I know Marietta, too.

But the job offer is coming from the Dublin area in Laurens County. we're both professionals with advanced degrees blah blah.

And truthfully--I've driven in Manhattan and have more 'issues' with driving in the metro Atlanta area...the guy who backed up right in front of me at 50-plus mph on a 3-lane off-ramp to return to I-85 stands out...so avoiding Atlanta is a plus.

Still I need to be accessible to the airport, can stay over in Peachtree City of course so the 2 hour commute isn't a problem. I don't travel that much, maybe 6 to 10 times a year I'll have to fly somewhere.

Anyway. What's the vibe like? The 'real deal' please as this is probably the last move we'll make for a while.

What towns toward Macon sort of half-way would you recommend? Areas to avoid? If you're not very religious how difficult will it be to live in a county with 100-plus churches? It's been fine in PTC

We're from Princeton NJ and I now work in NYC (writer so can go anyplace). Before we come down to check it out in a few weeks I'd love some feedback from you locals.

We have no kids, late 40s, used to diversity and prefer it actually. We want a small town, would rather not drive all over the place for life's basics so in-town or near-town would be best for us. Smallish house 1800 sq ft or less, small yard, doesn't have to be new, and we're happy.

OK, we could also be happy living on one of the 54 lakes I see Laurens County has, too...but close to town is probably best for us.

And we saw a great local farmer's market mentioned as we searched, or so it's claimed...true?

Thanks for ideas, and suggestions--

JoaniB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM

177 posts, read 221,497 times
Dublin is a small town...with a small town feel. There are many educated and very social people there, with many organizations to be a part of. I think you would absolutely love Dublin. I will say this though...Dublin is still somewhat segregated between the "have`s and have nots", meaning those with a more comfortable income will find Dublin alot more appealing that those with a more modest one. Its not that anyone there is rude ( I dont know of anyone reguardless of income who can say Dublin doesnt have some of the nicest citizens around), its pretty much like it is anywhere else....economics plays a part in who we socialize with.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Hello Peelo,

Thanks for your help and input...I understand about the income dividing lines all towns have but it seems that Dublin is friendly to outsiders which is good to know. We lived almost 10 years in one town and still were considered 'newbies'!

JoaniB

Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Dublin is home of the annual "Redneck Games." Do a YouTube search and see what you are in for, namely culture shock!!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM

78 posts, read 368,125 times
I grew up in Dublin (my husband grew up near Dublin) and some of my family still lives in Dublin and the surrounding areas. We now live @ 15 miles north of Atlanta.
You either love or hate Dublin. It is extremely "clickish."
My husband and I are "professionals" but I don't think either of us would ever want to move back.
I think it was a good place to grow up, but as an adult it does not have a lot to offer. The school situation in Dublin is also a lot worse than when I was in school.
I think the county schools are much better than the city schools, at this point in time.
Most of the people that we grew up with (that have stayed in Georgia) that are considered "professionals" have moved to other cities in Georgia. (Atlanta, Savannah, even Macon)
Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM

177 posts, read 221,497 times
I think Dublin offers more as an adult that it does as a teen or a child.
And...there is more to Dublin than the "Redneck Games".....

Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM

I saw the Redneck Games business and tried to presume that the locals have a sense of humor about the stereotypes of southerners. We're amused by the stereotypes of New Yorkers and Jersey folks...it's not like the Sopranos here.

And actually New Yorkers are generally very nice, as long as you don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk, 3 across, reading maps taking pictures and staring at the skyscrapers and blocking us as we are trying to get to the office. That will definitely make you unpopular. Nothing personal though. We don't even know you: just...give us some room to maneuver, that's all we want! ; - )

For adults who will have to travel to NYC/NJ and Atlanta area pretty regularly, every 4 to 6 weeks maybe for NYC and maybe 2 or 3 times a month for the weekend to Peachtree City, would this be workable?

Schools not a worry to us as we have no children, and we noted there's a new middle school going in? Maybe that's a county school, a bit west of town limits I think it is.

Also saw a new 'enterprise zone' was approved last summer but can't tell where it is and what that means to the town's future plans.

We are pretty low-key people, not partiers (more like book readers) both with masters-plus educations, a bit on the 'foodie' end of the scale, so the chain restaurants won't be seeing much of us...but that's everywhere these days, I think.

For example NYC has something like 200 Starbucks and there are areas in Manhattan with 3 shops within a few blocks of each other...no more local neighborhood places. Kind of sad. We won't miss the mall-i-zation that's going on that's for sure.

We'll just have to see Dublin for ourselves, probably rent in the area for a while and sort it all out if he does get this offer.

The biggest thing is, my mother is almost 80, an amputee after complications of surgery, and living alone. She doesn't even drive, except a golf cart (she had the hand controls removed though so she can't even tell when she's driving it...so she's had an accident recently...*sigh*). She was in assisted living last year in Marietta for 3 months but now has care coming in 4 half-days a week and that's not going too well. She will not move back north wants to be in her home--understandable--so we need to be closer. I can't keep coming down 8 to 10 times a year as I was.

I noticed over 100 homes for sale within the Dublin zip which seems rather high for a small town? Hard to say. But if a job in Dublin gets us to Georgia we can always decide if a larger city is a better fit once there.

Thanks again all,
JoaniB

Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 AM

16 posts, read 65,054 times
Talking moving to Dublin from Orlando!!!!!!!!1111

I am so glad to see the posts about Dublin. It sounds pretty ok to me. I am so over Florida.......I have loved it for over 30 yrs but I have run my course with it.
Please keep the info on Dublin comin in.
I need a hotel/motel in or near Dublin that will take me and my little taco bell dog.
I am not sure what is close and would prefer not a motel that opens to the road. Like Best westerns do. I also need at least a micro and a fridge/
thanks but hurry I am leaving here on sun............
Here we come Dublin,,,, are you ready for us???

Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 32,944 times
whoa im a teenager in dublin and theres some VERY rude people
the school system is horrible too
i mean there is some good teachers but alot of bad ones
and in the lower income areas the black population is alot of the times not very nice....

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 32,944 times
there is some hotels by the interstate and theres a taco bell
haha
i think theres a best western
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia