Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved to Brunswick from Atlanta and what is your opinion of the housing in the historical district ? We are thinking of moving there but have a lot of mixed feelings from various web sites.... We were going to go to a city in South Carolina but so many subdivisions and finished with that feel and want to make something our own.. opinions and information on crime as well !!! any opinions or are very welcomed here ! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I used to live on St. Simons and have family in the Brunswick area. The South End is the area that you describe and it is an amazing neighborhood. It harkens back to a time when Brunswick was making a lot of money off the lumber industry.
Truthfully, it is a block-by-block proposition at this point. The areas near Union Street and Hanover Square have largely been reclaimed. It does get sketchy once you move over to Albany Street, where you have a lot of unloved rental property and a housing project near the high school. Moving eastward, you're going into Windsor Park, a charming 20's era neighborhood that is also popular with with renovators. Forget the area north of the old courthouse; it will be a long time before it sees the light of day.
There are some exciting things happening in the South End, and there are still plenty of homes with a low price tag that haven't realize their potential. I would definitely consider it.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:37 PM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I used to live on St. Simons and have family in the Brunswick area.
Sorry to mini-hijack thread, but curious your experience on St. Simons. We've been taking a hard look at it for a potential relocation.

As to Brunswick, only knowledge was cruising around while visiting St. Simons. My impression generally follows yours: historic area is interesting, but has a ways to go and did appear to be somewhat block to block sensitive. Still, Brunswick, with its architecture and the river frontage, appears to have tremendous potential.

Our realtor who lives on St. Simons, and is a foodie, did say that there were a number of very good restaurants that he frequents in Brunswick.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Sorry to mini-hijack thread, but curious your experience on St. Simons. We've been taking a hard look at it for a potential relocation.

As to Brunswick, only knowledge was cruising around while visiting St. Simons. My impression generally follows yours: historic area is interesting, but has a ways to go and did appear to be somewhat block to block sensitive. Still, Brunswick, with its architecture and the river frontage, appears to have tremendous potential.

Our realtor who lives on St. Simons, and is a foodie, did say that there were a number of very good restaurants that he frequents in Brunswick.
Yes to your realtor friend; St. Simons' food scene is a delight. I still weep bitter tears over the closing of Cargo, a two-time James Beard Award winner.
If you want to live on SSI, move quick...prices are rising quickly. I sold my house to my daughter and son-in law three years ago and Zillow claims that it's gained $300K since then.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Yes to your realtor friend; St. Simons' food scene is a delight. I still weep bitter tears over the closing of Cargo, a two-time James Beard Award winner.
If you want to live on SSI, move quick...prices are rising quickly. I sold my house to my daughter and son-in law three years ago and Zillow claims that it's gained $300K since then.
All relative on the value issue. Looked at lots in Frederica that are asking 35% to 45% of what owners paid. And if you know Frederica, you know that is some serious loss.

Still getting our hands around market. There appears to be quite a bit of noise in ask prices: people trying to recoup having bought at peak. We've seen properties that are for all intents the same and the ask prices have varied by as much as 35%.

Why did you leave St Simons?

Last edited by larsm; 07-31-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
All relative on the value issue. Looked at lots in Frederica that are asking 35% to 45% of what owners paid. And if you know Frederica, you know that is some serious loss.

Still getting our hands around market. There appears to be quite a bit of noise in ask prices: people trying to recoup having bought at peak. We've seen properties that are for all intents the same and the ask prices have varied by as much as 35%.

Why did you leave St Simons?
To be close to my elderly in-laws on the West Coast. They have since passed away and we moved back to Georgia.
I haven't toured Frederica yet, but the photos are gorgeous. It does seem like it's a bit slow getting out of the ground.
Would love to hear your impressions of it. And you're correct in that prices have not reached their 2006 peak, but they are rebounding.
A friend of mine just retired to SSI (West Point area). She and her husband bought their house in the middle of the recession. New construction, deepwater access, foreclosure. Original price was $2.6M; they got it for $699K

Last edited by Iconographer; 08-01-2016 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
To be close to my elderly in-laws on the West Coast. They have since passed away and we moved back to Georgia.
I haven't toured Frederica yet, but the photos are gorgeous. It does seem like it's a bit slow getting out of the ground.
Would love to hear your impressions of it. And you're correct in that prices have not reached their 2006 peak, but they are rebounding.
A friend of mine just retired to SSI (West Point area). She and her husband bought their house in the middle of the recession. New construction, deepwater access, foreclosure. Original price was $2.6M; they got it for $699K
Frederica is very lovely. The facilities are at the same level as Sea Island. Only drawback is no beach club so might feel compelled to still join Sea Island (which means two clubs/two expenses). When you are on the grounds it feels like you're a million miles away from all the hustle and bustle.

The other issue/concern besides two clubs is the observation you made. It is still trying to get off the ground. I suspect that the club facilities will feel like your own personal club most of the time. That is good on the one hand, but bad if you want to meet people. (And, again, why Sea Island club is important for someone like us that hasn't been visiting SSI for decades.)

Old 08-01-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Frederica is very lovely. The facilities are at the same level as Sea Island. Only drawback is no beach club so might feel compelled to still join Sea Island (which means two clubs/two expenses). When you are on the grounds it feels like you're a million miles away from all the hustle and bustle.

The other issue/concern besides two clubs is the observation you made. It is still trying to get off the ground. I suspect that the club facilities will feel like your own personal club most of the time. That is good on the one hand, but bad if you want to meet people. (And, again, why Sea Island club is important for someone like us that hasn't been visiting SSI for decades.)
I do like that the developers of Frederica committed to something low density. Apparently there are some heavy hitters on board with it ( It's been out of Sea Island's hands for some years now ), so maybe it's best to let it develop organically.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I do like that the developers of Frederica committed to something low density. Apparently there are some heavy hitters on board with it ( It's been out of Sea Island's hands for some years now ), so maybe it's best to let it develop organically.
Wayne Huizenga is behind the property. I assume he kept Frederica after divesting Sea Island Properties, which he'd bought during the crash (if my memory serves).

Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Wayne Huizenga is behind the property. I assume he kept Frederica after divesting Sea Island Properties, which he'd bought during the crash (if my memory serves).
That is my understanding as well. I believe he has a residence there, which I see as a vote of confidence in Frederica's future. To me it has the potential to be a world-class development along the lines of Carmel or LaJolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia