Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia's most progressive city
Atlanta 29 60.42%
Savannah 4 8.33%
Augusta 3 6.25%
Columbus 4 8.33%
Athens 5 10.42%
Other, please specify in comments 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:32 PM

837 posts, read 1,385,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
For the same reason Albany wasn't, I suspect...
I'm not sure about Albany, But Macon has a lot more going on, Probably just about as much as Augusta or any of the other 2nd tier cities. You guys may want to checkout the Macon Forum Especially Downtown Macon.

Also just for starters Macon just gave developers Approval on The $50 million plan that will bring a new hotel, apartments, retail stores, a restaurant and parking structure in downtown Macon. That just (1) development of the from the millions being invested into Macon.

http://wgxa.tv/news/local/new-downto...moving-forward

http://www.41nbc.com/2016/08/23/new-...owntown-macon/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
I'm not sure about Albany, But Macon has a lot more going on, Probably just about as much as Augusta or any of the other 2nd tier cities. You guys may want to checkout the Macon Forum Especially Downtown Macon.

Also just for starters Macon just gave developers Approval on The $50 million plan that will bring a new hotel, apartments, retail stores, a restaurant and parking structure in downtown Macon. That just (1) development of the from the millions being invested into Macon.

New downtown commercial development project moving forward. | WGXA

New $50 million development coming to downtown Macon
"Progressive" is being spoken of here in terms of ideology (environmentally conscious, diverse, LGBT-friendly, etc.), not in terms of new development.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:04 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,445,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Progressive" is being spoken of here in terms of ideology (environmentally conscious, diverse, LGBT-friendly, etc.), not in terms of new development.

Still confused,,, doesn't really matter who the clear winner would or should be here, Macon should have been included in the Polls just as much as any other 2nd Tier right, sense we just have to Compare Georgia Cities, its all just really a matter of opinion anyway whether it be (environmentally conscious, diverse, LGBT-friendly, etc. or even in terms of new development, Correct? Hey, throw Albany in the Poll as a stand alone City since as stated in an earlier post 100,000 population is not the Factor....

Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM

242 posts, read 338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Still confused,,, doesn't really matter who the clear winner would or should be here, Macon should have been included in the Polls just as much as any other 2nd Tier right, sense we just have to Compare Georgia Cities, its all just really a matter of opinion anyway whether it be (environmentally conscious, diverse, LGBT-friendly, etc. or even in terms of new development, Correct? Hey, throw Albany in the Poll as a stand alone City since as stated in an earlier post 100,000 population is not the Factor....
I agree great point

Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 PM

110 posts, read 176,753 times
Default Sorry about not including macon

Sorry y'all. It just slipped my mind, and I suppose it's just as far from Atlanta (one hour, right?) as Athens is. So, my bad. When I started this poll, I expected Athens to rank as number one progressive city, and Atlanta and Savannah coming in second and third. That was the result of my other poll: What is Georgia's most progressive city? - Poll , which was linked to Reddit with 190 votes so far. I can add Macon to that one.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 4,408 times
Surprised Macon was on that pool. If there were ever to be a good ol' boy legal system...that's it.

Decatur is a great, open-minded area. If only there were somewhere in North Georgia that were similar.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:03 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,920,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuippyQuipster View Post
Surprised Macon was on that pool. If there were ever to be a good ol' boy legal system...that's it.

Decatur is a great, open-minded area. If only there were somewhere in North Georgia that were similar.
Good point. Decatur probably would've been added to this list had it not been within the confines of Atlanta.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,082,033 times
Athens is more progressive than Savannah -- and much more so than Augusta or Columbus. Athens is second only to Atlanta in the state -- no question. And no, Decatur shouldn't be included in the survey (or any other Atlanta suburb for that matter).

Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,920,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Athens is more progressive than Savannah -- and much more so than Augusta or Columbus. Athens is second only to Atlanta in the state -- no question. And no, Decatur shouldn't be included in the survey (or any other Atlanta suburb for that matter).
I never said Decatur should due to its location within the confines of Atlanta. Decatur is part of what makes Atlanta more progressive than places like Athens and Savannah.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:19 AM

1,980 posts, read 2,082,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I never said Decatur should due to its location within the confines of Atlanta. Decatur is part of what makes Atlanta more progressive than places like Athens and Savannah.
Apologies, WI -- I wasn't referring to your post but to others (and other GA threads) that want to make Atlanta suburbs into "Georgia cities". They're no more full-fledged cities than Martinez in metro Augusta, or Pooler in metro Savannah. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia