U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,696 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are thinking of moving down to Dallas, GA from Pennsylvania. I've read enough factoids about the area, but would really like some genuine in-put from people that have LIVED/LIVING in the town or surrounding area. Does it have anything to offer two 25-year-olds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 52,475 times
BLeininger, one of the best things about Dallas is the growth it's going through these days. It is still not as busy or developed as areas closer to town. Plus anything Dallas doesn't offer yet can be found a short drive away in Atl.
I am actually in Acworth though anymore Aworth and Dallas almost next door to one another. I am originally from NE Ohio and never have looked back.

Start packing!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,690 times
Dallas is not a great area, Lived there almost 6 yrs.

Live up in the Buford area now. This area is way better and easier to access.

Originally from Northeast

Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeininger View Post
My gf and I are thinking of moving down to Dallas, GA from Pennsylvania. I've read enough factoids about the area, but would really like some genuine in-put from people that have LIVED/LIVING in the town or surrounding area. Does it have anything to offer two 25-year-olds?
You may also want to check out Paulding.com FASTREAD as it's devoted entirely to Paulding residents (of which Dallas is a town in Paulding).

Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,545 times
hello, we are moving to dallas, from ft. lauderdale, florida.
we are looking to rent a home & look for jobs. we have 2 small kids is this a safe city to move to???? by the way what city is better dallas or hiram???
thanks.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 19,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knallday View Post
hello, we are moving to dallas, from ft. lauderdale, florida.
we are looking to rent a home & look for jobs. we have 2 small kids is this a safe city to move to???? by the way what city is better dallas or hiram???
thanks.

Either city is fine. They are part of Paulding county and literally next to each other. This county is growing really fast and there are alot of children. I lived in Hiram for 7 yrs and worked in Dallas for 4. I also have family in Dallas with young children. Plenty of homes to choose from but the job market in this county isn't great.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 19,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeininger View Post

I think Dallas is a good place for raising children. But for 25 yr olds I would move closer to Atlanta. Unless you are homebodies. This city has grown alot and is still growing. However, if you decide to move to Dallas, Atlanta is only 30-45min away without traffic. But that depends on how far you are from the interstate.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM

5,441 posts, read 4,865,975 times
There are many new homes in Dallas Georgia. You might want to consider Hiram, GA new homes as well. There are good deals to be negotiated too.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,888 times
I was just scanning the above posts. How things have changed here in Dallas in the last year..they have all over the country but especially here due, I think, to a hideous lack of planning. There's a jumble of stores on 278 and untimed lights that make 10 mile trips last half an hour at times and the whole county is dotted with ghost town developments. Instead of taking a measured approach to issuing building permits, the county approved virtually evry one that came with the application fee. So instead of a modest number of subdivisions with maybe 20 or 30 unfinished or unbuilt homes, there are dozens with 100 or 200 empty lots that our grandkids will be asking about 20 years from now. I do love the terrain here, the hills are pretty and you can't beat the spring and autumn anywhere. There's not much of anything to do or places to eat in Dallas, proper, but in Hiram there are the usual chain eateries. What few businesses there are in Dallas close at 5pm and many are closed on Sundays (even Saturdays). It's a whole different world from the miidwest or north.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJman View Post
I was just scanning the above posts. How things have changed here in Dallas in the last year.. Instead of taking a measured approach to issuing building permits, the county approved virtually evry one that came with the application fee. So instead of a modest number of subdivisions with maybe 20 or 30 unfinished or unbuilt homes, there are dozens with 100 or 200 empty lots that our grandkids will be asking about 20 years from now.
Normally I'd point out that you're responding to a 1+ year old thread, but you are making a comparison of "then and now" using older posts, so it's fine. You're not describing just Paulding County however - there are many places throughout metro Atlanta that did the exact same thing, hence, metro Atlanta's nickname "sprawl".

For many years (no, DECADES, really), they (developers AND banks) had a "if you build it, they will come" mentality, and it worked. The sheer number of people moving into the metro area (up to 150,000 a year at one point) did indeed mean that no matter how many homes or strip malls you built, there would be enough people to buy and shop in them. Then... poof. The fire went out.

You're I'm sure familiar with this large and more elaborate than usual strip shopping center in-between Powder Springs and Hiram...

The developer was allowed to secure a large loan to build it - with NO tenants lined up ahead of time, during the end of the boom era. By the time it was complete, the bust had started. It's been sitting for what - close to 2 1/2 YEARS now, completely empty, never rented, with weeds in the front. Right on busy Hwy 278. No one to lease it, the developer long since gone. It represents only one of many such things in metro Atlanta just like it.

When things settle, I think you'll see a different climate. Banks will require builders to have a set percentage of their storefront pre-leased before they can get a loan. Condo developers will have to have a higher percentage of pre-sales as well. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia