U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,474 times

Advertisements

I see that other people have posed this question but I wanted to give other detail and see if anyone could help me out. My family and I will be relocating to the Canton area by the summer. I have two children who will be coming with who are 9 years and 17 years old. The 17 year old has a traumatic brain injury and had a stroke due to an automobile accident four years ago. He will be going into 11th grade next school year. Has anyone dealt with the high schools in the area for a special needs child? He does very well but still deals with some learning disabilities and is also blind in his left peripheal vision in both eyes. We are moving from a very small town in Georgia (3500 people) and as you can imagine we are very nervous about our son going to a bigger school but this relocation cannot be avoided and is for the better of our family. Our 9 year old is also quite gifted academically and I would like some advice on elementary schools in the area. We have family whose children go to Sixes but we wanted to find out other opinions as well.
Also, what areas of Canton would you suggest? We have looked at different neighborhoods within Canton but are also looking at Woodstock, Holly Springs, and Kennesaw. As you can see we are all over the map but we are trying to make an informed decision. All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,547,446 times
I can't comment directly on how good the programs are, but I know there are programs available in Cherokee County. I've seen several kids in my daughter's elementary school who are wheelchair bound due to various disorders, as well as a girl with Downs syndrome. They seem to get great treatment from their instructors, and I've seen the parents on several occasions interacting with the instructors and they seem grateful for what the instructors are doing for their kids. I'd recommend reaching out to the school district to find out what services they offer that would specifically suit your son.

As for where to look in Canton and the surrounding area, alot depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend. There's a wide variety of housing available to suit just about any requirements.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,474 times
Thanks for the advice. Actually we are looking for a home in the $200,000 - $250,000 range and have looked at Bridgemill. We are concerned about the commute because I work in Sandy Springs so to be honest we are not sure which exit would be best.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:17 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,547,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreynolds71 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Actually we are looking for a home in the $200,000 - $250,000 range and have looked at Bridgemill. We are concerned about the commute because I work in Sandy Springs so to be honest we are not sure which exit would be best.
You should look at being further east rather than further south. The easist commute to Sandy Springs in to take 140 or back roads down, rather than trying to take 575 to 75 to 285- you'll go crazy doing that. There are a number of subdivisions off of 140 or E. Cherokee that will fit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia