U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:33 PM

16 posts, read 88,059 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your reply. I am paranoid as well. I don't like bugs of any sort, especially in my home. In case I do see one I will get the powder acid stuff as well as exterminate. Thanks again for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,990 times
I've found that the closer you live to water, the more likely you are to have Palmetto bugs. We live right beside a creek & we get those huge flying roaches. My family calls them water bugs, but they're also called Palmetto bugs. It doesn't matter how much we clean or spray for bugs, we still get these little boogers. I live about an hour north of Atlanta.

Last year when I was unpacking Xmas decorations I had one of them fly out from a box. It got tangled in my hair and I couldn't get it out. Needless to say I was running around the house screaming & hollering for my boyfriend to come help me.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 PM

233 posts, read 628,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkdimonds View Post
I've found that the closer you live to water, the more likely you are to have Palmetto bugs. We live right beside a creek & we get those huge flying roaches. My family calls them water bugs, but they're also called Palmetto bugs. It doesn't matter how much we clean or spray for bugs, we still get these little boogers. I live about an hour north of Atlanta.

Last year when I was unpacking Xmas decorations I had one of them fly out from a box. It got tangled in my hair and I couldn't get it out. Needless to say I was running around the house screaming & hollering for my boyfriend to come help me.
That is a funny story!

I had one fly on to my neck in NY, so I can easily visualize you running around sreaming.

While living in GA, I managed to have water bugs in every apartment. I did not have regular roaches, just water bugs.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM

1,089 posts, read 4,511,932 times
Ha ha, I used to date this girl who was a waitress. One time she was taking somebody's order on the patio when one flew down her shirt. I guess it took a couple of minutes for her to get it out. I can't even imagine what thats like, I would probably have a heart attack.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,536 times
The large Palmetto Bugs (wood Roaches, Flying Menaces, etc) only come in once in a while. I have an exterminator and I find a dead one every now and then. I made the mistake of putting Cypress Mulch in the yard around the house and I have seen them more than usual.

As for small German Cochroaches, as long as you exterminate and maintain a clean home, you should have no problems. MAKE SURE you demand that there be no infestation when you move in. If you move into a place with them, they get in your stuff and will be very difficult to get rid of. If you see any at all, Boric Acid powder gets rid of them ALL. It kills the big ones. too. Just be careful around pets.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM

I am wondering about the powder and how or if it wil affect my cat?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
598 posts, read 1,507,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI/MN View Post
I am wondering about the powder and how or if it wil affect my cat?
Any kind of powders,diluted chemicals or whatever your method of use is,you always have to take into account of the family pet.Go to your local Homedepot or Lowes and and look at the different products there is available and don't be afraid to ask an employee for his opinion.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the advice I'll do just that.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:56 AM

10 posts, read 30,670 times
Not if you spray and kill them and do it annually.
I never see one.
Some people are nasty and they have roaches.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 PM

17 posts, read 104,500 times
Default Keep your house clean

Seriously, born and raised here in GA and in the last twenty years I have never seen a roach in my house. If you don't make a habit of leaving uncovered food or crumbs around you will not be bothered with the pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia