Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 AM

84 posts, read 379,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec31 View Post
Seriously, born and raised here in GA and in the last twenty years I have never seen a roach in my house. If you don't make a habit of leaving uncovered food or crumbs around you will not be bothered with the pests.

We have a 3 year old so crumbs are always around. I found out by accident that my husband has hired an exterminating service. He said that the price was good so he jumped on it. It's $60 a quarter and they come to the house and do every room and the perimeter of the house outside. If you see anything before 3 months, they come back for free. You can't beat that. This puts me at ease because I'm a major spaz when it comes to roaches, I just lose my mind. He hadn't seen anything, but said he wanted to be prepared when it does turn cold, because that's when they try to come in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 45,835 times
Default Roaches in GA

Roaches can be a nuisance here. A lot of times they can be large and almost 2 inches long. You don't see them as frequently in the late fall and winter months. Favorite places of theirs include bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. And if you live in an apartment complex that is more than ten years old, you will see them frequently. Despite their large size, the bugs are masters at squeezing through cracks--under doors, windows, drawers, and especially around sliding-glass doors.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie84 View Post
Roaches can be a nuisance here. A lot of times they can be large and almost 2 inches long. You don't see them as frequently in the late fall and winter months. Favorite places of theirs include bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. And if you live in an apartment complex that is more than ten years old, you will see them frequently. Despite their large size, the bugs are masters at squeezing through cracks--under doors, windows, drawers, and especially around sliding-glass doors.
I have heard about their agility. When I first moved here I lived in a LUXURY apt. complex so you can imagine how p'ed I was when I started seeing them. I'm looking like I'm paying way too much money for this. And the thing that got me was the apartment was empty before we moved in which meant the complex was supposed to be sanitizing and spraying the place down to get rid of the bugs. We noticed them before we moved in and told them then so they wouldn't think that we brought them with us. Then when we started complaining they said "they can get in through the outlets". So here we are running to Lowe's to buy outlet plugs. The exterminator ending up coming out about 4 times before the problem was rectified. I'm glad my husband signed us up for the quarterly treatments - they have a guarantee that if you see anything, they'll come back for free that brings me MAJOR comfort.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 PM

61 posts, read 260,245 times
Roaches and especially cockroaches and flying ones are one og the BIGGEST reason's I will NEVER move back to GA! They were awful in Savannah! Yuck! I was born and mostly raised there, my entire family still lives in the outskirts of Sav, but my behind will never ever live there again! I've been in East TN for 6 yrs and haven't once seen a roach.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaLicious View Post
Roaches and especially cockroaches and flying ones are one og the BIGGEST reason's I will NEVER move back to GA! They were awful in Savannah! Yuck! I was born and mostly raised there, my entire family still lives in the outskirts of Sav, but my behind will never ever live there again! I've been in East TN for 6 yrs and haven't once seen a roach.
Isn't Savannah near water? Aren't they supposed to be worse around bodies of water? What did you guys use to get rid of them while you lived here and how did you deal with the flying ones?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,530 times
Default Biting roaches

Years ago I rented a room in an old house in Savannah, and it was infested with german cockroaches, I didn't see any flyers, but whenever I would turn on the kitchen light, a sea of roaches scurried under the counters. One night I was awakened by a sharp sting on my chest, and as I sat up straight and looked down, there was a roach next to me, on his (or her) back. Was it a bite or a sting? I don't know, but it hurt!! Anybody else had similar exper.?

Old 12-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
Years ago I rented a room in an old house in Savannah, and it was infested with german cockroaches, I didn't see any flyers, but whenever I would turn on the kitchen light, a sea of roaches scurried under the counters. One night I was awakened by a sharp sting on my chest, and as I sat up straight and looked down, there was a roach next to me, on his (or her) back. Was it a bite or a sting? I don't know, but it hurt!! Anybody else had similar exper.?
OK, you guys are scaring the holy crap out of me. I'm so glad we've gotten extermination throughout the year. Yikes

Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
The roaches in Florida do bite, in fact they eat paper and wood to some extent, so they are used to biting to see if something is good to eat. In the old house I lived in they ate he ceiling tiles too! I was bit once by a roach and that's disgusting. They don't seem oo bite more than once though.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 PM

165 posts, read 653,026 times
Talking Giant Roaches

I was blessed from above.....I am not afraid in the least of bugs..... I have lived in New Jersey with small roaches, and Puerto Rico and Florida with small and big ones..... Puerto Rico was a trip....the ordinary home with 1 or 2 stories usually had at least a few sneak in now and then because it was summer weather all year round....no matter how clean you were. They were called roaches....though it sounds so sexy in Spanish if you say: las cucarachas... In Florida (and Georgia I guess) they call 'em Palmetto Bugs, a high class word....... I have four kids (adults) and they always yelled/yell for Mama to kill any bug any size..... Just get some info on how to kill them and control them outside and coming into your house taking into consideration your kids and pets.... Saying hello from Florida.....

Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 16,570 times
I moved here to georgia from the north the north has roaches. The roaches everyone calls roaches here we would call water bugs here. Now i have heard people say there tree roaches they are only looking for water. Another thing ga is beautiful nice people but dont live in warner robins no full time jobs you live off temp services. Which means no raises, no vacations im moving back to the north more jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia