U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

I live in Springfield GA....moved here from New England about 2 years ago..... Have an apt. and things were ok for a while, then new neighbors came in next door and upstairs............ then we started to see what the computer calls southern roaches...I have been soooo freaked out, we are clean.....we complained and now they have a "bug guy" come once a month, but whatever he is using doesn't work....we complain, and nothing more is done....we are looking for another apt.,, and found one, but will not be ready for a couple of months.......................... God help me! (the neighbors that brought them have moved, and anyone else renting here never lasts long....wish we could find another apt that fast!! but we want to be sure we are moving to a "better" place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 AM

83 posts, read 110,774 times
I saw roaches sometimes while living in the Atlanta area, but ants in the house is a more common problem than roaches. And the roaches were not that big, about half the size of your thumb. Now living in New Orleans...the roaches are everywhere and they are huge--sometimes as long as your middle finger, big enough that you can hear them scuffle through your house. Maybe in southern Georgia/near the coast their roaches are larger, too, not sure.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM

68 posts, read 109,374 times
I believe you are mistaking GA for NYC....that is the place roaches are known to be a problem.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM

1,247 posts, read 2,808,767 times
dirty house or dirty neighbors will bring on the roaches. Ive never seen a flying one though.

My first house here was a foreclosure and had a little roach problem. We exterminated, cleaned, sealed holes and problem was solved. We eliminated it. We also treated the perimeter of the house as well, as the will seek the warmth during the winter.

Over all though, I would not call it a problem out here.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,265,952 times
OMG this is the funniest thread I've seen in weeks.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,326 times
Look Im from the South and nasty roaches are in the homes of nasty people. If you are clean and have roaches then probably a nasty home is near your home or nasty people lived in your home before. There are too many dumb hillbilly nasty people in the South, they throw rotten food out in the yard to feed the dog. OMG and a lot of hillbilly's dont even take the trash to the street for the garbage man to pick up...I have seen them save the garbage then burn it and this year 2013, like the garbage man was never invented...Because its humid in the South roaches prefer a humid environment. I hate the South, even if it had no roaches the humidity is unbearable as well as the Southern mentality. Not to mention the nasty diet of a lot of Southern hillbilly's eating pork, hotdogs, spam, bologna, and white bread Everyday!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 AM

10,004 posts, read 9,285,783 times
Oh, for God's sake. Roaches don't bite. Yes, it's unpleasant to see them around. Just call Orkin...

Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,615,205 times
Wow. Looks like somebody's pissed at her cousins.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,594,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by female33 View Post
Look Im from the South I hate the South,!
You know the answer, don't you?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
Unhappy Freaking Out Too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacksone View Post
CHI/MN,
the roach situation: I too, was scared by the stories told to me. I visited with my husband years before we moved here and only saw a really large one once, and I swear it hopped off the wall onto the floor (my husband thinks I'm paranoid - he grew up in Alabama so no bugs bother him). We moved here in June and bought a house in Sept. Our house was vacant before we moved in a the realtor that owned the house did exterminate because we saw dead ones here and there, but that was good because they were dead. About 3 or 4 days after moving in, I saw one. Then the next couple of days I saw another. I started freaking out. I told some people at my job and they said the same thing that Ericmrtt said - you can be the cleanest person on earth and occasionally you'll see them. One person at work said that they are in the trees and they come in thru open windows and doors. We're on half on acre, so we have lots of trees. After I started freaking out to my husband about calling an exterminator, I haven't seen one since. It was strange. You just have to be careful and arm your house. We had boric acid (the white powdery stuff) going around the perimeter of the house and the last time I saw one - he was dead because he had come under the front door but he walked thru the acid. It's really not as bad as you think. I'm terrified of roaches (big or small) and I feel comfortable in my home.
I just had two in my house this morning, and one yesterday. I am seriously freaking out! I am calling an exterminator today. We just bought our house in Stockbridge, and I have never seen bugs this big, even when I lived in Las Vegas. I am afraid that it is really going to scrare the kids. Even when you squash them, they still move. I hope this exterminator thing really works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or