U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 PM
lb1 lb1 started this thread

19 posts, read 248,930 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving out of San Diego because the cost of housing is so high. My company has a division in Alpharetta and her's does as well. I am just debating whether it would be worth it to move there. I enjoy San Diego, the weather, entertainment, beach, etc, and have family out here. I would basically be giving all the up to be able to move from a 2 bedroom condo into a house and I am trying to figure out if it's worth it. Has anyone here made the move from California? What is it like in Alpharetta area? Are there places we could live around there that are still fun and have a lot of action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 PM

86 posts, read 399,953 times
Yes Alpharetta is a great place to live in or by! We live in Canton which is about 20 mins from Alpharetta out in the horse country, but yet we are still close enough to all the action that is in both Alpharetta and downtown Atlanta. We are about about 35 mins to Buckhead and about 45 mins to downtown Atlanta. Takes us on a bad day of traffic about 35 mins to get to work and most days it's about 25 mins. What kind of home are you looking at living in? I mean as far as price wise and I can try to give you some insight on where to look for housing. Moderator cut: Removed

Last edited by xxman777; 12-03-2006 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Advertising not allowed outside of Classifieds

Old 12-03-2006, 04:45 PM

We bought a condo in San Diego 2 years ago for $350,000. We bought after prices had already gone up so high, so if we sold today, we may even lose a little money since the market has gone really soft in San Diego. I would be looking for something in roughly that price range. I would also consider renting my condo in San Diego until prices go back up. I really don't know what to do. My wife and I are comfortable in our condo now, but we are looking to have kids in the near future. It would be hard in this place, so I am trying to figure out what to do. In order to afford a house in San Diego I would have to get one far away and commute pretty far to work (even then the house would be expensive) so I wouldn't even be enjoying San Diego anymore, I would still have the weather though.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Well in that price range you can pretty much get a HUGE home!!! I am talking 5-6 bedrooms and 3-4 baths. Pretty much with all the bells and whistles you want as well. Let me know if you have any other questions as I am very familiar with this whole area and been here for over 15yrs now.

Jeff

Old 12-03-2006, 05:05 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,818,788 times
I have friends in San Diego and they love it -- and they both have kids (one has 2 children and the other has 5 children). They both live in houses but they bought several years ago. And both said if they had to try and buy at the current prices it would be very very difficult.

I would caution though on "only" moving just to get a bigger house or land, especially if you like lots of amenities and culture that California cities like San Deigo offer.

You just have to weigh everything. I moved away from DC because housing was so high -- paid $300,000 for a large 3-story townhouse 20 miles out of the city. I have a quarter acre now in Albuquerque and a 2200 square foot house with a fantastic view and it was $240,00K and I really enjoy it but boy do I miss the culture and amenities and the excitement of DC and being able to hop a plane to Europe and be there in 5 hours or hop the train to NYC.

The ironic thing for me is I'm trying to straddle things by thinking of Atlanta -- getting back towards the East Coast, in a bigger city with more amenities, but still some affordable housing.

I can live intown in Atlanta in a house and have access to everything the city offers for a price that would be unheard of in close in areas around DC or San Diego for that matter. I considered San Diego a while back too.

The other thing is if you are used to city life or close to city life, suburban life will be a real shocker. It doesn't have the same feel at all. So it just depends what you are willing to sacrifice for more house.

Kids that grow up in cities or closer in neighborhoods or condos or townhouses do just fine. There isn't any research showing that the suburbs are the only and best place to raise children. It comes down to your own personal preferences. Many people love suburban living and rural living. Others don't.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 PM

Yeah I have this feeling that I would move and have this big house and things would be great for awhile, but then I would start to miss California and think that the house is not worth leaving everything behind. However, if I really love Atlanta/Alpharetta, then I would probably wish I would have moved sooner. Are there places that I could live that would make my commute to Alpharetta not too bad and still be close to the action?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:51 PM

Oh yeah!! You can live right in the heart of Alpharetta in a $350K home that is a very very nice home and you would be about 20 mins to Buckhead, which is a very trendy area of Atlanta.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,818,788 times
Some of the Alpharetta and Atlanta people will have to answer you on that lb1. I'm just responding with some general advice since I have moved several times cross country and to different places and each time I've learned more and more what is important to me. I can't live too far away from people and places -- I like to do things and I'm very social. And I know if you live far away, you will do less things because you get home and plop down and don't want to go back out again. LOL I also know that a house is just a house and that I don't have to have some big house and a huge piece of land. I can be gone 4 or more nights a week gonig to the gym or belly dancing or out to eat or a play or visiting friends or to a dance or on a date etc. And if I lived too far away from various things I enjoyed, I know I would lessen how often I do those things simply as a matter of time and getting home too late in the evening.

But you know what, if you move and hate it, you can always move again too.

What I've heard about Alpharetta is that is is more or less self-contained, so you don't have to go into the city etc. Others have commented on a few communities in Gwinnett county that they seem to very much recommend with a certain diversity and shopping and restaurants close etc. I don't know what the drive from say a place like Duluth to Alpharetta would be or from Marietta to Alpharetta. It seems what I've read and heard both here and in other places is that Alpharetta is billing itself as a place to live, work, and play. My only other comment is that I've heard it's pretty conservative politically which may or may not be any kind of factor.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 PM

85 posts, read 466,787 times
I am from San Diego and just returned (job transfer) after two years living in Alpharetta. Windward area more specifically.

My wife and I really liked it and honestly if housing does not go down (we are renting now, sold our old SD house in 2004) we will be looking to move again possibly back to Alpharetta! You really can't beat the prices compared to SD. I like SD but I don't love it, it is simply too expensive for a family I have 3 kids and my wife does not work. I make pretty good money but we live poor in SD compared to Alpharetta.

Obviously, your own preferences will dictate weather you like it or not. If weather and beaches are important to you then you might have a hard time. I have not been to the beach in the 6 months we have been back, it just isn't very attractive to me (I feel the water is too cold, personally). I work 60 hours a week and travel about 50% of the time so the advantages of SD are less for me as I am simply not able to be outside all the time like some are.

The lifestyle in Atlanta is more indoors-oriented and family oriented especially in Alpharetta. My wife fit right in staying at home with the kids, it's normal there while here it is very rare.

Basically if your own family/kids are going to be important to you I would look at Alpharetta very hard and recommend it. If you are more the beach type and want to sit outside sipping Starbucks, think twice as you will probably miss the "so cal" lifestyle.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:36 PM

667 posts, read 2,458,311 times
Default Another CA native thinking of moving

I'm glad to have found this posting. My husband and I are originally from Orange County CA. We have lived in the Boston area for almost 7 years. And although we like where we live, we are seriously considering a move to Alpharetta to escape the high cost and cold of living in New England. Going back to CA is just not possible right now for reasons such as my husband's job and the insane cost of housing. All of our family is in CA, so we figure if we are going to be away from them, the least we could do is go someplace where we might be able to save a little money. My husband travels to Alpharetta often, and has been impressed by the natural beauty, nice homes, and ammenities in town. I've done some research on the schools as well, and they seem fine. If anyone has any other thoughts or opinions I'd love to hear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or