Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 18,126 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking to move to Forsyth County and was looking at the city Cumming.
I have read a lot of bad things but you can find bad in everything. My questions is I have a 11 year old and 8 year old. How are the public schools? Crime? Gangs? Drugs? etc..and of course I heard the KKK are very known down there.. Also how would they treat my family and I being from Wisconsin..

I guess I am asking is this a great town for familes or would you suggest another area for familes in Forsyth County?
We are a young professional family and are looking for a safe family oriented town..

Thank you so much everyone, I hope I make the right choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:06 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
You'll be fine in Cumming, provided that you leave your "Cheesehead" hats in Wisconsin.....lol.

Seriously, the whole KKK thing is still being blown way out of proportion- it was an issue 10+ years ago, but Cumming has grown in that time from a podunk farmland rural area to a very developed suburb. You've got nothing to worry about IMO, except for the cheesehead-hat-haters......

Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Cheesehead forever!!

Thx for the info and the laugh.. would you recommend any other area?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The biggest thing is to figure out where you're going to be working- the last thing y ou want to do is work on the opposite side of the metro area from where you live, unless you enjoy 2+ hour commutes. Many people will tell you that the "only" place to live is "inside the perimeter", since you'll avoid some of the traffic pain if you work in Atlanta proper. If you're set on the outer burbs (like I am), you just want to be as near as you can to where you're working. We're in Holly Springs in Cherokee County, which is just a little west of Cumming, and we love it- we did the "older, in-town living" thing in NJ and didn't want another old house that you had to deal with every weekend, so the outer burbs worked out great for us.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Thx

Actually I will be transferring to the area and working with the majority of the public... My wife and I will be flying down there sometome soon to look at the area.. We also would be looking for homes in the 250-300 or so range

Old 03-06-2008, 03:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Basically, all of Forsyth County is considered "Cumming," although most of it is not actually in the city, but rather unincorporated county. You can't completely escape crime anywhere, but I think that you will find Forsyth a family friendly area, as there is very little crime there. Also, the KKK thing was a long time ago when it was all natives. Now it is mostly transplants, mostly form the north.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Thx Ohio

Good info.. I look forward to visiting soon to find the place I want to raise my family

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayden1304 View Post
and of course I heard the KKK are very known down there..
Where in the world did you hear that? Take my advice and ignore whatever source you got that from.

And, try 30 years ago, not 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Also, the KKK thing was a long time ago when it was all natives. Now it is mostly transplants, mostly form the north.
The KKK was mostly dead long before the invasion of the transplants (circa 2000).

Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Where in the world did you hear that? Take my advice and ignore whatever source you got that from.

And, try 30 years ago, not 10.

The KKK was mostly dead long before the invasion of the transplants (circa 2000).
The last KKK incident that I am aware of was in 1987, when Oprah come down here and covered the Hosea Williams march.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
The last KKK incident that I am aware of was in 1987, when Oprah come down here and covered the Hosea Williams march.
While I see your point, that was a little over 20 years ago. The KKK no longer has strong community support like it once did, and they are rarely heard from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia