U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2006, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 15,374 times
Default KB Homes

Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 5 year old home in the Marietta Area. It's a KB home, and I have heard some bad things about the quality of their work. Most of the problems I've read about were in Texas, Florida, Colorado and California.

I was wondering if anyone here has had bad experiences(quality of structure) with a KB Home, Particularly in the Marietta/Woodstock area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 AM

86 posts, read 311,350 times
I would highly advise you to stay away from a KB home! They are very poor quality, especially from 2004 and before. I work for a top home inspection company and I can tell you that we have seen our share of bad craftsmanship, framing and qaulity of work.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 15,374 times
hmm, I was afraid of hearing that. Which homebuilder would you recommend?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 AM

878 posts, read 2,876,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta View Post
hmm, I was afraid of hearing that. Which homebuilder would you recommend?

When I was there in November, I looked at several John Weiland homes. New construction and old, and it was a well built product.

Last edited by ready2move; 12-04-2006 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-04-2006, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 25,790 times
Any thoughts on DR Horton or David Weekly new builts (>2005)?

Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM

86 posts, read 311,350 times
Well we currently live in a DR Horton home in Canton and trying to sell it ourselves right now. Has been a great home for us!! We have built a new home about 5 mins from here, built larger as my parents are getting older and could be living with us in the next couple of years and with interest rates still so low we figure now is the time to make a move to bigger.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,122,800 times
KB Homes is one of the top 5 biggest home builders according to an article in CNN Money -- but have to say that they don't have a very good reputation in Texas, nor here in New Mexico either and it would seem not such a great one in Georgia either. They seem to build less expensive homes with the quality being less as other more expensive builders so you get what you pay for I guess. If you go up one notch in builder prices (e.g. D.R. Horton) I think you get a bit more quality for your money. My advice when buying a home is always to get a good inspector.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:05 PM

148 posts, read 617,395 times
Default I agree

I agree with Brewboy and LLD. I have heard some bad things about KB, too.

KB is now building some homes in Atlanta designed by Martha Stewart. She's been in Atlanta several times promoting her homes. A second subdivision is now in the works. I don't know how her homes differ from standard KB homes?

John Wieland is a major builder not only in Atlanta but in the Southeast. I think he is the largest builder in Atlanta. His homes have a very distinctive look.

John Wieland Homes' major sales pitch is a 5-20 year warranty--supposedly the longest warranty in the business. I really don't know how good the warranty is. Some of the warranty specifics apply to appliances--that's the five year warranty.

The sticking point for most home buyers is the document home buyers must sign, signing away your rights to sue the builder for construction flaws and defects, after a certain time frame. I think most Georgia builders require you to waive your rights to sue. I guess this is pretty much standard operating procedure now.

Z

Old Today, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 46,091 times
Default KB Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta View Post
Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 5 year old home in the Marietta Area. It's a KB home, and I have heard some bad things about the quality of their work. Most of the problems I've read about were in Texas, Florida, Colorado and California.

I was wondering if anyone here has had bad experiences(quality of structure) with a KB Home, Particularly in the Marietta/Woodstock area. Thanks.
Which community is in? Yes KB is a sorry excuse for a builder. I wouldn't discount the home though. If it was a homeowner like myself, I have spent the extra money to fix KB's short comings. I found all of my problems within the first couple of years and have fixed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia