Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM

67 posts, read 237,052 times

Advertisements

Ya the high salary thing might be a limiting factor. I am from NE TN. We are trying to move back there, but the IT jobs do not pay as well> We have decided we want to move anyway so we are going to just try to sell our house & even if we have to start over essentially being happy & broke in the mountains is better than being not as happy in the city. Plus everything is more expensive in the cities. Anyway...I am from the Tri-Cities area they have some gorgeous mountains. Chattanooga might be a nice alternative for you. They have some nice mountains & you are close enough to go down to North GA for a day trip or shoot over on 40 to Gatlinburg & the Smokey's easily. :-) My brother lives there & loves it. Best of luck in your decision. I miss my mountains too. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
GA -- Walker, Dade and Catoosa Counties. TN -- Hamilton and Bradley. The beauty of these area is you are not far from a good sized city, which is Chattanooga.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
luvsthe beach and antiquesmountainapache are 100% correct in my opinion! We are moving to Rock Spring GA (about 15 miles from Chattanooga)in about a month and simply cannot wait!!! The people on this forum are amazing when it comes to information, ideas and simple honest helpfulness and they really will tell you the unvarnished truth!

Honestly, this area is truly beautiful and the people are friendly and welcoming!

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Should have added that one of my major prerequisites was that I wanted to relocate somewhere that was beautiful (mountains, etc...) and live in the country, but also wanted to be somewhere that was close enough to enjoy all the perks of a big city! I feel so fortunate to have found THE place! Country living, with the city to "play" in!

I joined this forum a year ago in February, and have done my share of research (aka asking lots and LOTS of ques - just ask these guys LOL) and I know you will find your "perfect" place also!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
So many of the towns mentioned are great places to live... but if you want to live in a real "city" smack dab in the middle of the mountains.. then there just isn't a better choice then Asheville, NC

Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Here are some of my recommendation options: Dahlonega, Helen, or Blairsville, GA; Ashville, NC; or Gatlinburg, Knoxville, or Chattanooga, TN.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 AM

56 posts, read 145,784 times
Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

We checked out Asheville...there is just no commerce there!! I don't know what people do for a living...
It is also very expensive to live there...the housing prices amazed me...and I come from FL....where everything is inflated!!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
Gatlinburg is nothing more than a tourist trap.. same for Helen.
Dahlonega and Blairsville are lovely small towns.. but they are not cities.. so don't expect the amenities and culture of a metropolitan area.
Chattanooga and Asheville are both very nice.. but Asheville is more mountainous..
Chattanooga is in more of what you would call a "ridge and valley" landscape. I am actually quite fond of the Chattanooga area, but people wanting a more traditional mountain landscape may prefer Asheville. Asheville is also a very artsy city.. and it's also a bit more expensive.
Knoxville is another consideration.. it's a pretty sizable metro area.. over 500,000 ppl and home to a major university and only about 30 miles from The Smoky MOuntains National Park..
The Bristol/Johnson City area is also a good choice.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:39 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaFL View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

We checked out Asheville...there is just no commerce there!! I don't know what people do for a living...
It is also very expensive to live there...the housing prices amazed me...and I come from FL....where everything is inflated!!
Yes, Asheville has become pricey; however, the prices drop once you get out of the city...I have friends that live about 20 minutes away and built pretty cheap.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
I still suggest Bristol/Johnson City/ Kingsport area - the Tri-Cities of TN and VA. Between the three, there are plenty of jobs, shopping, great hospitals, entertainment, beautful mountains and LOTS of outdoor activities....also the housing there is very reasonable - about 1/3 of the cost of homes here in Charleston (SC). I recently bought some land up there and look forward to building on it in the next few years. It is definitely worth checking out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia