U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,278 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to Jonesboro, GA with school age children. I'd like any information regarding that area in Georgia. Especially the job market, home prices, crime, traffic and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,207,355 times
Clayton Co schools are terrible, crime is high, and gangs are a real problem. I grew up in Clayton Co, and have lived in the S metro Atlanta area for a long time. Trust me- you do not want to move to Clayton Co, especially if you have school age children.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
Thank you for your reply. Any suggestions on areas that are better for schools and crime in the S. metro Atlanta area?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 AM

13,093 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liddef View Post
Thank you for your reply. Any suggestions on areas that are better for schools and crime in the S. metro Atlanta area?
Fayette County

Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times
Can you post this in the Atlanta forum. You're not going to get much of a response here and there are people more knowledgeable about Clayton in the Atlanta forum.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,252,650 times
I live in the Jonesboro/ Lake Spivey area, and bryan85 is REALLY off base. I have lived in Clayton County for my entire life, and while it is not a problem free utopia, no where else is, either. Here is the REAL story from a REAL resident:

1. Clayton County Schools DID have accreditation problems several years ago, but it had NOTHING to do with teaching and learning (it was due to infighting on the school board)

2. There is not a single Clayton County School is currently on the state failing schools takeover list (a distinction Clayton County shares with Henry and Fayette County Schools)

3. There are some VERY nice parts of the Jonesboro area:

Downtown Jonesboro's historic district has some charming homes.

The Lake Spivey area is one of the most upscale residential communities on Atlanta's southside with some lake side mansions reaching past the million dollar mark.

I do feel that overall, the parts of the Jonesboro zip code east of 19/41 (Tara Boulevard) are nicer than those west of it, but there are some nicer parts in the Mundy's Mill area, even on the west side.

4. Having children in the local school system (Suder Elementary) a couple of years ago, I was beyond pleased with the high quality teaching they received there.

5. Don't believe the hype; you and your family could really LOVE it here!

Old 08-18-2017, 06:19 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,207,355 times
I stand corrected- the Lake Jodeco and Spivey area is very nice. Outside of that however, Clayton Co has little to offer. I've lived in Clayton and Henry Co for the most part since 1969. To say that Clayton Co has not gone way downhill overall would be choosing to be blind.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM

I lived in the City of Morrow before moving to Lake Spivey and REALLY enjoyed my time there as well:

1. Fantastic park and trail system.
2. VERY responsive city services.
3. Amazingly responsive public safety department (police and fire) Seriously, we are talking about less than three minutes to almost anywhere inside of Morrow's city limits!
4. Very convenient location to Atlanta, the airport, and other job centers.
5. Clayton State University
6. Reynold's Nature Preserve
7. Southlake Mall and Morrow shopping district (True, not all you want, but really all you probably need most of the time ;0) )
8. Lovely, tree shaded, well kept mid-century neighborhoods.

There are MANY wonderful places to call home within our little Clayton County community!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 272 times
I'm moving to Georgia at the end of this year (2018) and like the area that's around Morrow and Jonesboro, what's the feeling of local residents within a 10 mile radius as far as what the future holds for them?

Old 09-05-2018, 07:32 PM

I really think that after living in Clayton County for my entire life (and incidentally in BOTH Morrow AND in the Jonesboro/ Lake Spivey area) I KNOW that both communities are on an upward trend. There are so many great things about both communities.

Great Things about Clayton County:
1. Great historic/ charming areas (Downtown Jonesboro. Rex Mill Village, Mid-Century Morrow, etc.)
2. World's Largest Farmer's Market
3. Fantastic library system (from Headquarters to our wonderful branches)
4. Award winning water system
5. Enviable system of roads
6. Great Interstate access
7. Home of the World's Busiest Airport (well, two-thirds of it anyway)
8. Lowest crime rate among Atlanta's "core" counties (This includes Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb, and Clayton)
9. Close-in/ Atlanta accessibility
10. MARTA
11. Reynold's Nature Preserve
12. Southlake Mall and other shopping districts (perhaps not all you want, but mostly all you need)
13. Strong, established communities
14. Strong, established, and active churches.
15. Improving school system with TWO state ranked public magnet schools (Mary Stillwell School of the Arts and Elite Scholars Academy)
16. Nice people
17. Expanding systems of pedestrian/ bicycle paths (Morrow Path System, Jester's Creek Trail, Lake Spivey/ Clayton International Park Trail, etc.)

**This is by NO means an exhausted list, but I think y'all get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia