U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite 3rd Tier city
Warner Robins 4 13.79%
Valdosta 3 10.34%
Rome 6 20.69%
Dalton 1 3.45%
Gainesville 3 10.34%
Albany 7 24.14%
La Grange 1 3.45%
Other 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,517,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I have to disagree. Gainesville in my opinion is nothing but Atlanta suburban sprawl.
Nope, not at all. Gainesville is very much its own city / region away from Atlanta. The NE Georgia mountain culture is NOT "metro Atlanta." It's totally unique and, while only a few miles separating it from the sprawl of Gwinnett County, it is still separate. This is very similar to the break that separates Columbus from LaGrange -- two cities close enough to influence and overlap a bit, but still very much separate.

Now, the fact that Macon and Warner Robins literally touch each other and are considered 2 different metros -- we can argue the absurdity of that untll the cows come home. It's just ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 07:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,066,207 times
Where's Brunswick? It probably would have gotten my vote if it were included. My vote went to Rome. I really like the architecture and city layout on 7 hills. Plus Berry College has a beautiful campus.. Second would probably be Gainesville..bordering Lake Lanier.. close to the mountains and Atlanta. Warner Robins has never felt like a city to me. It does not really have any identifiable downtown area or town center. It just feels like a suburb to me.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 AM

712 posts, read 1,133,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well for one thing, Albany is its own TV Market (unlike all the other 3rd-tier cities) and is the media, retail and medical center of the entire SW Georgia region. In many ways, Albany acts as a 2nd-tier city and except for population it would otherwise be considered as such. In fact, historically I think Albany was thought to be on the level of the 2nd-tier cities. It's only been in recent decades as growth has gone to other parts of the state that Albany's status has lagged.
Yes, I agree Albany has in the past been considered a 2nd tier city (Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah Macon and Albany). But as you mentioned I think since the population has gone to other parts of the state Albany has kind of gotten lost in the mix.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,728,186 times
Its own media market is what puts Albany squarely in "second tier" even above some other "larger in city limits" metros, such as Warner Robins (Macon media area) and Athens (Atlanta media zone). It is what, in my opinion, that will keep it ahead of the fast growing, interstate accessible Valdosta area in the "race for Southwest Georgia:.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:30 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,400,409 times
Thomasville. It's just so darn pretty and has terrific boutiques and eateries.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:25 PM

2,339 posts, read 3,631,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I doubt Thomasville is third tier. Maybe 4th tier or so.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,728,186 times
Thomasville IS nice, but is it large enough to be considered? If so, I would like to throw in my father's charming home town of Moultrie, "a city of southern living" just a few miles north up 319 from Thomasville:

1. Moultrie s actually slightly larger that Thomasville.
2. Moultrie has has a beautiful courthouse square with a small hometown department store (Lazarus), great antique shops, restaurants, and numerous specialty stores and boutiques.
3. One of the most gorgeous residential areas I have seen in any small town in Georgia is Moultrie's South Main Street historic district.
4. Moultrie's Colquitt County High School is a perennial state football power.
5. Surrounding Colquitt County is one of Georgia's most productive agricultural areas.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:06 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,517,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I doubt Thomasville is third tier. Maybe 4th tier or so.
Thomasville is considered part of Greater Tallahassee. In fact, Tallahassee-Thomasville is the official designation of the nation's 107th-largest TV Market. The biggest (and first) TV station in Tallahassee -- CBS affiliate WCTV -- is actually licensed to the city of Thomasville, and most of the TV stations in Tallahassee have their transmitter towers in Thomas County.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-13-2017 at 03:19 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 AM

7,216 posts, read 6,633,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well for one thing, Albany is its own TV Market (unlike all the other 3rd-tier cities) and is the media, retail and medical center of the entire SW Georgia region. In many ways, Albany acts as a 2nd-tier city and except for population it would otherwise be considered as such. In fact, historically I think Albany was thought to be on the level of the 2nd-tier cities. It's only been in recent decades as growth has gone to other parts of the state that Albany's status has lagged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Yes, I agree Albany has in the past been considered a 2nd tier city (Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah Macon and Albany). But as you mentioned I think since the population has gone to other parts of the state Albany has kind of gotten lost in the mix.
Those are excellent points by Newsboy about Albany's importance to the Southwest Georgia region.

And those are excellent points by Newsboy and NewtownMacon about Albany's status lagging and about Albany getting lost in the mix as growth has gone to other parts of Georgia.

One important factor in Albany's apparent loss of status of a Georgia city/metro (in the form of an apparent drop from 2nd-tier status to 3rd-tier status) seems to have been the shift in the balance of power in the state from the dominance of a largely rural and agrarian culture in South Georgia to the increasing dominance of a largely urban and suburban culture in North Georgia as American society in general has shifted from rural/agrarian cultural dominance to urban/suburban cultural dominance.

Here in Georgia, an important Southwest Georgia city/metro like Albany has lost status as pieces of transportation infrastructure like the Atlanta Airport, the international seaport at the Port of Savannah and the Interstate system have grown (and exploded) in importance to the state's economy.

Albany being almost virtually completely shut-out from direct access to the Interstate system (Albany is almost 40 miles off of I-75, accessible to I-75 only by way of a 4-5 lane at-grade/surface highway in Georgia 300) has played a major role may have fallen from 2nd-tier status to 3rd-tier status over the decades.

Though even with the apparent decline in city/metro status from 2nd-tier to 3rd-tier, Albany still has done very well to retain as much of its industrial base as it can in an era when Albany and Southwest Georgia appear to be at an escalating disadvantage to seemingly almost every other region of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Its own media market is what puts Albany squarely in "second tier" even above some other "larger in city limits" metros, such as Warner Robins (Macon media area) and Athens (Atlanta media zone). It is what, in my opinion, that will keep it ahead of the fast growing, interstate accessible Valdosta area in the "race for Southwest Georgia:.
While I can agree that having its own media market makes an otherwise relatively somewhat geographically isolated metro like Albany particularly important to a geographical region like Southwest Georgia, I don't know if I could agree if Albany is ahead of a 2nd-tier metro like Athens just for the simple fact that Athens is the site of the flagship campus of the state's university system.

Even with Athens being part of the Atlanta media market and part of the Atlanta CSA, Athens is still a massively important city/metro just simply because of the fact that it is home to the main/flagship campus of the University of Georgia system.

It is extremely difficult to discount the importance of Athens as a 2nd-tier Georgia metro because Athens is the home of the state's most high-profile public university.

I agree that having its own media market gives a non-Interstate accessible 3rd-tier metro like Albany a leg up on an Interstate-accessible 3rd-tier metro like Valdosta.

But I think that what gives Albany the biggest head-up over Valdosta is that Albany appears to have a noticeably larger base of industry than Valdosta as indicated by the list of third-tier metro GDP that Mutiny77 posted earlier and by the list of major employers in Albany that NewtownMacon posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here are the metropolitan GDPs for each as of 2015 (latest year available):

Gainesville: $8.569B
Athens: $8.142B
Warner Robins: $6.865B
Dalton: $5.983B
Albany: $5.142B
Valdosta: $4.850B
Rome: $3.645B
Brunswick: $3.616B

Source: https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg..._metro0916.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Listed below are companies with operations or some presents in Albany.

Top eight non-governmental employers in Dougherty County[edit]
(excludes the City of Albany, Dougherty County, and the Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany)

Albany State University
AT&T
Coats and Clark, Inc.
Miller Brewing Company
Pfizer Inc.
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
Procter & Gamble
Teleperformance USA
United Parcel Service
Companies[edit]
Georgia Pacific Corp.
Mars, Incorporated
Mediacom
Pfizer Inc.
Procter & Gamble
Sherwood Pictures
Thrush Aircraft
It is that relatively large industrial/employment base that likely has kept Albany from falling even further behind many of the other 2nd and 3rd-tier city/metros in Georgia than it otherwise might have fallen given Albany's relatively disadvantageous location about 40 miles off of the Interstate in a relatively somewhat isolated part of the state.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,400,409 times
When I was growing up, if we wanted to go "to town" we went to Americus. If we wanted to go "to the city" we went to Albany. I thought Albany must have been the largest city in the world!

Oh, to be a kid again! Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia