Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:31 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times

Advertisements

What about talking to your passengers? Singing along with your favorite tune? Slippery slope here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
Uber drivers who have their phone in their laps.....looking down whilst driving -
Uber drivers who pull over and block a lane of traffic to drop ofF a passenger...and then stay there while they are looking at their phones trying to find their next fare instead of pulling into a safe place like a parking lot. DRIVE. ME. CRAZY. I honk at them aggressively every time.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM

83 posts, read 91,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What about talking to your passengers? Singing along with your favorite tune? Slippery slope here.
Sure, it may be a slippery slope, but studies show that the activities you described are not nearly as distracting. Singing a song does not utilize much cognitive capacity, such it's not much of a distraction. Having a conversation with a passenger can certainly be distracting, but the research shows that there are two mitigating factors that make those conversations much safer. First, passengers typically halt conversation in dangerous circumstances (severe rain, icy, roads, etc.) or when the driver is performing a potentially dangerous maneuver (exiting a highway, taking a left turn, etc.). Second, passengers serve as another pair of eyes and will often verbally alert the driver to hazards. Pay attention next time you are in the car with a friend and see if the conversation slows when you are trying to get over a few lanes on the highway. It happens to me all the time. And just recently, my wife prevented an accident while riding as a passenger in my car. I was going to take a left turn on a left turn signal but subsequently decided I would keep straight. In my mind, I was still thinking I had a green light, but it was only the left turn signal. I was about to drive right through the red light until my wife screamed.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:58 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm Down ATL View Post
Sure, it may be a slippery slope, but studies show that the activities you described are not nearly as distracting. Singing a song does not utilize much cognitive capacity, such it's not much of a distraction. Having a conversation with a passenger can certainly be distracting, but the research shows that there are two mitigating factors that make those conversations much safer. First, passengers typically halt conversation in dangerous circumstances (severe rain, icy, roads, etc.) or when the driver is performing a potentially dangerous maneuver (exiting a highway, taking a left turn, etc.). Second, passengers serve as another pair of eyes and will often verbally alert the driver to hazards. Pay attention next time you are in the car with a friend and see if the conversation slows when you are trying to get over a few lanes on the highway. It happens to me all the time. And just recently, my wife prevented an accident while riding as a passenger in my car. I was going to take a left turn on a left turn signal but subsequently decided I would keep straight. In my mind, I was still thinking I had a green light, but it was only the left turn signal. I was about to drive right through the red light until my wife screamed.
Hmm. Interesting. I will look for this!

Old 11-01-2017, 01:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Uber drivers who pull over and block a lane of traffic to drop ofF a passenger...and then stay there while they are looking at their phones trying to find their next fare instead of pulling into a safe place like a parking lot. DRIVE. ME. CRAZY. I honk at them aggressively every time.
Ride Hailing drivers are the worst. They cause so much congestion now

Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm Down ATL View Post

What studies - I recall reading that eating while driving was equally as distracting. Let's also talk about loose animals in the car and specifically dogs on the drivers laps.

Definitely a slipper slope as to what is distracting and not.

As for reasons to make a call. I have gotten stuck in traffic on I-285 and just quickly call my destination to let them know when I am running late. But I use voice recognition to dial the number etc.

I have ATT Drive Mode set in my car that blocks text messages and responds that I am driving - tools like that I think are important although you can override it when you are the passenger.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:16 PM

83 posts, read 91,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
What studies - I recall reading that eating while driving was equally as distracting.
For example: https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/204502

Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 AM

459 posts, read 475,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Ride Hailing drivers are the worst. They cause so much congestion now
I was lost in Chicago last month because my gps was not working and the guy behind me laid on his horn because I wouldn't keep going and run into a guy who backed up in front of me. Then the same jerk laid on his horn again when I came to a gate and asked the guy there which way to turn. He actually caused more congestion and further delay, because I couldn't hear the guy over his horn and he had to repeat it a number of times and finally he just pointed, so by laying on his horn he caused himself further delay and more congestion, because I wasn't moving until I knew where I was going and I could care less if he was laying on his horn. It's his loss. Only time I touch my horn is if someone is changing lanes into me, or if someone is going to hit me to let them know to avoid an accident. The horn is not play toy. If someone is clogging up the emergency lane I suggest calling law enforcement of some kind.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:44 AM

459 posts, read 475,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I was lost in Chicago last month because my gps was not working and the guy behind me laid on his horn because I wouldn't keep going and run into a guy who backed up in front of me. Then the same jerk laid on his horn again when I came to a gate and asked the guy there which way to turn. He actually caused more congestion and further delay, because I couldn't hear the guy over his horn and he had to repeat it a number of times and finally he just pointed, so by laying on his horn he caused himself further delay and more congestion, because I wasn't moving until I knew where I was going and I could care less if he was laying on his horn. It's his loss. Only time I touch my horn is if someone is changing lanes into me, or if someone is going to hit me to let them know to avoid an accident. The horn is not play toy. If someone is clogging up a lane I suggest calling law enforcement of some kind. There's so many horns going off now days how do they even know it is for them? The only way I knew the horn was for me was because it was the only horn going off and it was right directly behind me.

Last edited by ipkl07; 11-05-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 10:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
You really shouldn't inconvenience others because you don't know where you're going. Pull somewhere that enables them to easily get around you and get your bearings while they get on their way. It's not everybody else's problem that you are lost and they shouldn't be delayed because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia