Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,669,320 times

Advertisements

Long as the enforcement is not as bad as Maryland and New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 PM

82 posts, read 90,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You really shouldn't inconvenience others because you don't know where you're going. Pull somewhere that enables them to easily get around you and get your bearings while they get on their way. It's not everybody else's problem that you are lost and they shouldn't be delayed because of it.
I so agree with this! I hate when drivers are in a right turn only lane and they realize late that they need to go straight. Then they sit in the right lane waiting to get into the correct lane, preventing all the people who are actually turning right to proceed. Now I have to wait through another cycle of the late because you made a bad decision. It probably shouldn't bother me so much, but you shouldn't inconvenience everyone else because you didn't know where you were going.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,116,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have seen studies that claim going hands free doesn't add to driver safety but my personal experience is that it does.

What do you think?
Of course they should. Even a slight improvement in driver safety is worth the while.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,536,175 times
I just Bluetooth my phone to my car...its the best thing they ever created!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 AM

82 posts, read 90,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Of course they should. Even a slight improvement in driver safety is worth the while.
The problem is that while it is marginally safer to drive with a hands free kit, any slight benefit is offset by the fact that drivers increase their phone usage because they think it's safer.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:11 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,371,466 times
Default GA new hands free law

There's a lot of confusion regarding the law that will take effect 01 July 2018.
This is the long version https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/high...ands-free-law/
and the short version Pandora, Spotify, internet radio legal in Georgia July 1 | The Telegraph
Out of state drivers (mainly Fla) should pay particular attention as they make up about 50% of interstate traffic here.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:36 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,344,851 times
Just back from a short road trip this weekend (100% within GA, about 600 miles driven). Wife watched other traffic and EASILY 9 of 10 vehicles had drivers with phones in hand. 6 of 10 were not even Trying to watch the road (the other 3 were talking with phone to ear).

But, this law will do nothing new. LEOs could have already leveraged existing laws. The fines are easily a factor of ten lower than what's needed to get peoples attention (yes, it Should be $500 first fine). And the absolute killer? I can't remember the last time I've seen a LEO driving who didn't have a phone in hand...

I'm sure there will be a couple people popped for it early on, but it'll fall by the wayside and be 100% unenforced within a couple years.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:49 PM

Currently click it or ticket is in play this month. And going 20 over the limit puts drivers in the grey bar motel as super speeders. As long as this state is in need of $$$ for pensions, they'll continue the program and eventually raise the fines. It's not going away. Fla drivers will have to learn to drive without their precious smart phones in hand or face the consequences. Georgia prosecutes, period.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 866,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

But, this law will do nothing new. LEOs could have already leveraged existing laws. The fines are easily a factor of ten lower than what's needed to get peoples attention (yes, it Should be $500 first fine).
I'm sure there will be a couple people popped for it early on, but it'll fall by the wayside and be 100% unenforced within a couple years.
Police are absolutely going to enforce this law. A $500 fine for a first time offender is freaking insane though, I think the current fine system is right where it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
And going 20 over the limit puts drivers in the grey bar motel as super speeders.

Super Speeder is like a $200 ticket, not arrestable or involves any jail time.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Super Speeder is like a $200 ticket, not arrestable or involves any jail time.
NO - That's in addition to the speeding fine. https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/camp...r-speeder-law/
O.C.G.A. § 40-6-189, adds another $200 onto a speeding ticket for anyone caught speeding and driving at 75 MPH or above on a 2 lane highway or 85 MPH or above on a 4 lane highway.. The $200 will be added on(at the state level) to the fines a Georgia city or GA county imposes upon an offender that are already in place for speeding violations in GA. Once a traffic or speeding ticket fine has been paid, the violation is reported by the court to the Georgia DDS. A driver will then receive a letter from the GA DDS advising that they now owe $200, payable within 120 days. If you do not pay the super speeder fine in that period of time, you could potentially have your driver’s license suspended.

In other states where I've lived = 20 mph over any speedlimit = grey bar motel + $500 ticket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia