Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times

Advertisements

BRAC has been causing army base population decreases in our region for some time.

This is particularly true for Columbus in the last several years. I don't know if there are other factors, but I know this is one of them.

Macon has struggled for a little while. There is not much of a geographic bottleneck that drives growth there and the base in Warner Robins is close, but just far enough away it sort of grew separately. Warner Robins, technically a separate MSA, has taken most of that region's growth. To a degree that the decrease is only 249 is good, that's at least very low for a decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:21 AM

49 posts, read 82,437 times
Target and JC Penney left Macon. Harveys in East Macon and Best Buy (I think) are on their way out. Why are they still building lofts downtown Macon like the city is or expecting a boom or something?

The U.S. Census says Bibb is losing about 400 people a year, but according to Bibb County, the number of residential building permits have gone up. In 2016, the county issued 80 permits, and in 2017, that number went up to 95.

13wmaz.com | People say they are staying in Bibb County despite population decrease

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfanatiq View Post
Target and JC Penney left Macon. Harveys in East Macon and Best Buy (I think) are on their way out. Why are they still building lofts downtown Macon like the city is or expecting a boom or something?

The U.S. Census says Bibb is losing about 400 people a year, but according to Bibb County, the number of residential building permits have gone up. In 2016, the county issued 80 permits, and in 2017, that number went up to 95.

13wmaz.com | People say they are staying in Bibb County despite population decrease

Yeah, Macon / Warner Robins Population numbers are just kinda funny to me and is always debatable, I always add them together to get a true feel for the actual truth for that area. For one, honestly Macon and Warner Robins should Technically be one Metro being right next to each other but they are just one CSA. A lot of population loss Bibb County may have just goes to the growing Suburban County to the south "Houston County. As far as Macon's retail is concerned the old areas that used to work for certain types of store's and retail like the Southwest side of town near the Macon Mall just isn't made for that type of retail anymore. The North side of Bibb, South Bibb, and Downtown Macon are the growing area's now and where the population Growth is taking place. South Macon in general (old city limits) needs major gentrification and retails like Target, Best Buy etc. cant survive in those areas but can in the growing areas. Macon layout is changing, like most cities and the way the demographic is lined up in the city is as well. The Macon mall needs to shut door's or become some type of indoor flea market.. It's all about reinventing the Southside of the city at this point... Another thing 2020 population numbers are going to be screwed for most of these cities and this isn't just isolated to GA cities especially with the way the climate is with the immigrant population, most are scared to show they exist across the US. Not to mention most minorities don't seem to be good with filling out the census and with most of these 2nd Tier cities being majority poor and minority, I'm sure they get way undercounted anyway.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfanatiq View Post

That isn't abnormal.

People's consumer tastes in households shift.

it happened in Atlanta too in the past. When we were going through the initial building-boom along the Beltline and Midtown, the city was actually still losing population in other areas.

We has increasing abandoned houses on the Westide in the fallout from the recession, yet we still had apartments going up in Midtown.

Cities have different demographics and different tastes within them.

Another confusing item... a dwelling does equal the same population everywhere. Some areas have an average of 3.8 people/dwelling, whereas other areas can be 1.2 people/dwelling.

So in the case of Atlanta, we lost families of 3 people and gained apartments of 1-2 people.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:40 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
BRAC has been causing army base population decreases in our region for some time.

This is particularly true for Columbus in the last several years. I don't know if there are other factors, but I know this is one of them.

Macon has struggled for a little while. There is not much of a geographic bottleneck that drives growth there and the base in Warner Robins is close, but just far enough away it sort of grew separately. Warner Robins, technically a separate MSA, has taken most of that region's growth. To a degree that the decrease is only 249 is good, that's at least very low for a decline.
Columbus basically lost all the population growth that came with BRAC. Next cenus should show a slight increase.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Athens: 209,271(+3,850 since 2016)

Atlanta: 5,884,736 ( +89,013 since 2016)

Augusta:600,151 (+5,262 since 2016)

Columbus: 303,811 (-2,901 since 2016)

Gainesville: 199,335 (+3,098 since 2016)

Macon: 229,914 (-249 since 2016)

Savannah: 387,543(+3,758 since 2016)
Percentage wise, Athens and Gainesville are going great. Augusta, Savannah, and Atlanta are solid for their perspective sizes. My biggest concern is Columbus. I also would make the argument that Macon is somewhat stagnant.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:07 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Percentage wise, Athens and Gainesville are going great. Augusta, Savannah, and Atlanta are solid for their perspective sizes. My biggest concern is Columbus. I also would make the argument that Macon is somewhat stagnant.
I think Columbus will be fine after this round of estimates. The city and metro area still slightly grew outside of BRAC and I were starting to see that .

Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
For Savannah/Statesboro/Hinesville

Bulloch: +1428
Effingham: +1429
Chatham: +1111
Bryan: +1218
Liberty: -4

Interesting. The one with the large military base remained stagnant while the others grew.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:52 AM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I think Columbus will be fine after this round of estimates. The city and metro area still slightly grew outside of BRAC and I were starting to see that .
The only county in your area that saw true growth IMO was Lee County, Alabama with +2621, which isn't surprising since that's where Auburn is. College towns seem to be the only smaller areas that are currently seeing big growth.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:09 PM

527 posts, read 319,610 times
Columbus numbers likely fluctuate due to its disproportionate dependence on military presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia