Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But come on. When will GOP politicians in this state act and sound like regular people in regular lives in the 21st century?
Sooner than you think, PT. I truly believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
My child plays travel sports and we go to tournaments all around Georgia and beyond, and I can assure you guys with certainty that there is an eager audience for this out there. I see them nearly every weekend. The divide between Atlanta and the rest of the state is huge, and we may think the good ol' boy persona is a stereotype, but it's really not. I guarantee there are quite a few people out there in TV land who saw that commercial and think it's the cat's pajamas. And it will get Kemp lots of votes.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
My child plays travel sports and we go to tournaments all around Georgia and beyond, and I can assure you guys with certainty that there is an eager audience for this out there. I see them nearly every weekend. The divide between Atlanta and the rest of the state is huge, and we may think the good ol' boy persona is a stereotype, but it's really not. I guarantee there are quite a few people out there in TV land who saw that commercial and think it's the cat's pajamas. And it will get Kemp lots of votes.
It's a large, but ultimately shrinking demographic. Shrinking relative to the growth of every other type of people in Georgia. But yet it's the demographic that is constantly played to and played to. And seems like almost every single time some prominent leader in Georgia makes the national news and gets national attention, it's this type of stereotype and this type of demographic. It's always the super-conservative thing.

Hopefully Iconographer is right to be optimistic about the future of this state. Hopefully that particular element of Georgia is gradually shrinking in prominence and dominance.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I am totally on board with your POV, CMM. I have a half-sister in Macon and that is her in a nutshell.
We ceased our visits a few years ago.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
The only way that ad could have been worse would be if the boyfriend being threatened with death had been black. But who knows what's going on in the minds of the people who wrote that ad.

Anyone here old enough to have seen on TV those ads run by J. B. Stoner when he ran for governor? I did. It's not so much that J. B. Stoner existed in Georgia, but that he got tens of thousands of votes every time he ran. And yes it went into the courts and they said the same thing: you must run the ad untouched.

As close as elections have been lately, and considering the low turnout for primaries, the kind of people on the fringe have enough votes to tip a primary. It's why we must vote in every election and every primary, and more importantly, nag our friends into voting.

I personally have never done a crossover vote in a primary to prevent an appalling candidate of a different party from winning the primary, but lately I wonder if I'm wrong about that. "vote for the best of the worst".

Old 05-01-2018, 02:06 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
No doubt about it, and not just in rural and small town areas. I know a lot of folks who are intelligent and generally good-hearted, but they believe Trump (and those aligned with him) are 100% on target.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
There will always be people who believe in certain ideologies or certain cultures. but the quesiton here is: Are there enough people who agree with Kemp's ad that it will net him enough votes to get him the nomination? I doubt it.

To me, all of the Republicans on the field are nearly the same: They all agree with and support Trump. That's all I need to know when I vote in November.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:10 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'll say this much- as a native Georgian and southerner, who speaks totally normal and barely (if at all) accented, standard American English, I'm regularly offended (or put off I guess is the better term) by these southerner conservative politicians like Brian Kemp who, whether deliberately or not, in their ads and sound bites always sound like General Beauregard meets hillbilly meets rural Texas or something.

And just the words and things he uses, and playing directly into all the related redneck and southern stereotypes, in ads like that. It's really anti-intellectualism, like an appeal to anti-intellectualism.

Politicians who represent Georgia should speak and act like most Georgians speak and act every day. Like normal. We're not on the front porch holding shotguns saying "I reckon we gon' get along just fine!". We're sitting in traffic and working at offices and on our iPhones and laptops going out to eat. We are by and large sophisticated, regular modern Americans in this state. Even among the half of the population that's outside of the metro area.

It's crazy, that part of the big appeal of someone like Stacy Evans to me, is that she doesn't speak with some super thick ridiculous Georgia accent and talk about how "family values" she is, but just basically talks pretty dang normal, and sounds intelligent and aware and modern, and talks about relevant current-day issues and practical and reasonable concerns. Even though she's born and raised in Ringgold, GA up near the TN border.

And regardless of whatever a politician's views are on guns, real gun owners don't freaking point them at people.
Sounds like you never venture outside metro Atlanta.

Pretty much everybody who grew up outside metro Atlanta has a noticeable accent. And there is a distinct difference between the South Georgia and North Georgia accents. I love hearing that South Jawja accent.

There is a little bit of creepiness to the ad, but the message those offended are missing is that he is protecting family. And as an elected official he would do what it takes to take care of you.

What you don't seem to get is that your post is really condescending and bigoted. You seem to have a hostility towards normal people. Most people don't have a college degree. Most people aren't working in high paying white collar jobs. A lot of people can't afford to go out and eat at a nice restaurant and drink Starbuck's coffee. People, for obvious reasons, tend to be friends with people similar to themselves. But that doesn't make your bubble reality for everyone else.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
The only way that ad could have been worse would be if the boyfriend being threatened with death had been black. But who knows what's going on in the minds of the people who wrote that ad.

Anyone here old enough to have seen on TV those ads run by J. B. Stoner when he ran for governor? I did. It's not so much that J. B. Stoner existed in Georgia, but that he got tens of thousands of votes every time he ran. And yes it went into the courts and they said the same thing: you must run the ad untouched.

As close as elections have been lately, and considering the low turnout for primaries, the kind of people on the fringe have enough votes to tip a primary. It's why we must vote in every election and every primary, and more importantly, nag our friends into voting.

I personally have never done a crossover vote in a primary to prevent an appalling candidate of a different party from winning the primary, but lately I wonder if I'm wrong about that. "vote for the best of the worst".
Thulsa, I hear you and I remember the appalling days of JB Stoner. All I can say is to vote your conscience.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sounds like you never venture outside metro Atlanta.

Pretty much everybody who grew up outside metro Atlanta has a noticeable accent. And there is a distinct difference between the South Georgia and North Georgia accents. I love hearing that South Jawja accent.

There is a little bit of creepiness to the ad, but the message those offended are missing is that he is protecting family. And as an elected official he would do what it takes to take care of you.

What you don't seem to get is that your post is really condescending and bigoted. You seem to have a hostility towards normal people. Most people don't have a college degree. Most people aren't working in high paying white collar jobs. A lot of people can't afford to go out and eat at a nice restaurant and drink Starbuck's coffee. People, for obvious reasons, tend to be friends with people similar to themselves. But that doesn't make your bubble reality for everyone else.
I don't have a college degree! And I can't afford Starbucks! My job in tech pays decently. And I fully realize that I am very lucky to have it, especially without a degree. My 2 years younger brother is a cook at a tavern. He's as blue collar average joe as it gets.

I lived most of my life way OTP and still regularly go out there to visit my parents and brother. I also semi-regularly go up to the mountains and down to Savannah and such. My uncle and grandmother for a long time lived up in the Hiawassee/Blairsville area, so I know that area.

Also I spent some time in Milledgeville when my grandfather was at the VA home, and I've spent some time in Athens (enough to know that it's not a slow-talking small town, like Brian Kemp comes off.)

I mean, I'm not a super smart guy, but I least try to be and act like I'm a regular, modern guy. You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. I'm not attacking blue collar rural southern people. I'm attacking faker poser politicians who are focusing so much on those types of demographics all the time, championing them while completely ignoring the rest of us.

Yes we shouldn't be bigoted towards rural folks from small towns, but we also shouldn't be looking up to them or idolizing them for their values and opinions and beliefs. That's anti-intellectualism, and I think it's backwards. We should be more elitist. Why not cater to the more sophisticated among us, who have the most knowledge and facts and understanding of things. Rather than "build a wall and grab your shotguns 'cause them brown skins are rapin' our daughters!" Having ads appeal to utter ignorant garbage in the name of getting votes and getting elected to office. I'm just calling on the GOP to be better than that. But not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia