Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:24 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
If you believe that they are both awful then you shouldn't have too much trouble seeing why somebody would choose Abrams over Kemp. I don't think Abrams is great, but I'll vote for her, just like you'll probably be voting for Kemp.

Some people say that choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. I say that refusing to choose either is like choosing the greater evil. I've never voted for a candidate that I thought was perfect, but I've always voted.

Only problem is I am not voting for Kemp. These are awful choices. There really isn't a lesser of two evils here. If anything Kemp might govern exactly like Perdue and Deal. Would you have a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 PM

815 posts, read 708,768 times
Should be a great year for the Libertarian party

Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM

221 posts, read 190,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
If you believe that they are both awful then you shouldn't have too much trouble seeing why somebody would choose Abrams over Kemp. I don't think Abrams is great, but I'll vote for her, just like you'll probably be voting for Kemp.

Some people say that choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. I say that refusing to choose either is like choosing the greater evil. I've never voted for a candidate that I thought was perfect, but I've always voted.
Yes, anyone abstaining for voting because "both candidates are bad" is just saying "I would prefer Kemp but don't want to have blood on my hands if he turns out to be an awful governor and bringing the state in a downward spiral."

Old 07-25-2018, 01:47 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Which brings me back to what I posted this morning of Deal and Kemp wanting to lower the state income tax rate to be more competitive with our surrounding states that have zero income tax and to also give people more money in their paycheck to save or put into the local economy.

What is Abrams plan as far as this goes?
To shift from income taxes onto sales taxes is to raise taxes on the lower and middle classes.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:16 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Only problem is I am not voting for Kemp. These are awful choices. There really isn't a lesser of two evils here. If anything Kemp might govern exactly like Perdue and Deal. Would you have a problem with that?
The legislature is almost certainly staying GOP controlled regardless. So it's not like Abrams will get to implement a super progressive agenda even if she were to win.

I'd rather have that then the more likely scenario that Kemp goes full right wing nutter WITH a GOP supermajority.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
The climate in which the majority is seething in fear, bigotry, racism and distorted religion, got us Trump. They can get us Kemp. I hope those of us against Kemp can put up the best fight we can and show up, because we definitely did not during the run off. The majority is dropping in numbers in Georgia. I hope that now is the time.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
If Abrams is smart, she should spend a lot of time and resources campaigning down here in southern Georgia. if not, then a Kemp victory is guaranteed.

Also why is this topic in the Atlanta sub forum? Shouldn't it be in the main forum for Georgia?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
The way to win this election is to work smarter. Abrams isn’t going to waste money going after voters that are strongly Republican, she’s registering more Democratic voters. Doesn’t matter how red Georgia is if their voters don’t show up in higher numbers than Democrats. Kemp being connected to Trump is not a good thing in the long run, especially with how the FBI investigation is going.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:55 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Abrams cannot ignore central and south GA. These areas have a high AA population and lots of white people who aren't fond of the party of trump. Its not cool to be a Dem in these areas, so many are quiet about it. I agree she neednt waste time trying to convert Republicans because it will never happen, but she needs to fire up the Dems across the state.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The legislature is almost certainly staying GOP controlled regardless. So it's not like Abrams will get to implement a super progressive agenda even if she were to win.

I'd rather have that then the more likely scenario that Kemp goes full right wing nutter WITH a GOP supermajority.
She may be able to pull this off since she is not that far removed from legislature compared to Kemp who hasn't been in the chamber in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia