Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:08 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Jim Galloway, Metro Atlanta, and Kemp
http://www.city-data.com/forum/52695931-post469.html
https://politics.myajc.com/blog/poli...PLtuHa9dMJzZO/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
Default Gubernatorial race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here's Jim Galloway's analysis as to why this governor's election is especially critical for the future of the ATL.

Thank you for posting a portion of this new Jim Galloway piece before I could do the same.
As Galloway so ably points out issue by issue, it's imperative that metro Atlanta voters are well-informed & especially clued in as to how the choice they make for governor in the fall will effect the future of our region and thus by extension, affect the state.
My hope is that the oft-used republican methods repeatedly promulgated out of their post-1980's era playbook, as in using divisive social wedge issues to win elections, will fail & be discounted by the electorate. (Speaking personally, this is what largely pushed me out of the republican party).
A gubernatorial campaign that will so readily affect the future of metro Atlanta should be focused on issues larger than the typical gop playbook ones such as school bathroom policies, Delta vs. the NRA, religious liberty rights of cake bakers, etc. Thus, the choice between what the 2 candidates offer as courses for the future of our state could hardly be any more stark.

Last edited by atler8; 08-04-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: the link i dropped, was found in a prior post

Old 08-04-2018, 05:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I support the expansion of commuter rail. I support expanding public transit. Since Kemp does not support that, I will not support him.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Dalton got decimated by the economic downturn a decade ago. For all the endless talk about economic decline in the Midwest and in Appalachia, economic suffering in places such as Dalton was almost never even acknowledged in the media. That Abrams is willing to openly speak to it may win her a vote or two in a very conservative city.

Agreed. Tell all of history, not just the cherry-picked parts that make some people feel good.

What you say makes sense logically, but for all of her effort to make issue of parts of Georgia's declining economy, it's not going to matter to a lot of those voters. They're going to look at her through a filter of "this black woman from Atlanta wants to take away my guns."

Old 08-04-2018, 07:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
What you say makes sense logically, but for all of her effort to make issue of parts of Georgia's declining economy, it's not going to matter to a lot of those voters. They're going to look at her through a filter of "this black woman from Atlanta wants to take away my guns."
Her stance on guns is going to be a problem for her, and its one thing I don't support her on.

That said, while Nathan Deal has done a good job of staying business friendly and attracting companies and industry to Georgia(film industry), it is also true that those jobs either went to the Atlanta area, or were not high paying jobs. Much of rural Georgia is still impoverished, does not have access to quality healthcare, and is forced to work factory or service jobs with little benefits for minimum wage or ten bucks an hour.

Some of rural Georgia's school systems offer a pretty good education, (I've been very happy with the schools in my home county of Floyd) but others not so much. A big part of the problem is not the education offered at the schools; its the lack of emphasis on the importance of education in the homes. Poverty is a cycle, and many people don't know how to break it. They make choices that make it hard for their children's education to be a priority and so the cycle continues.

Perhaps sliding the scale just a bit in favor of workers and companies that pay higher wages can help break the cycle. If good jobs are available, good choices are made clearer. If parents can make good choices, then the children will tend to as well. A better educated work force will attract higher quality jobs. It may not go over with the "taxation is theft" crowd, but I am one rural Georgian that wants to stop doing the same damn thing. I'll be voting for Abrams again in November.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Sadly you are right. Kemp's message will resonate with them, but how deeply?

Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
And the fact that Trump endorsed Kemp is ALL I need to know about him.
Checkmate

Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 AM

815 posts, read 707,933 times
I think that one thing that helps Abrams is the the state legislature will still be controlled by Republicans. Some moderate Republicans may feel better with a Democrat as governor who can veto the crazier ideas that come out of the General Assembly. I always trusted that Governor Deal was going to save the day no matter what the legislature cooked up. I would have also trusted Casey Cagle due to his proven track record of waffling in favor of big business. But Brian Kemp??? I just don't see how he's going to be able to back down and waffle on anything relating to LGBTQ issues, gun control or abortion no matter how insane it is and how much the rest of the nation laughs at us.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:34 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
https://youtu.be/TETHJP6d2Os

I do want to point out the idiocy of the “too liberal for Georgia ads”. These ads say absolutely nothing about the candidate herself and fails at confirming its argument.

Claim- Abrams is too liberal for Georgia
Argument- She believes in raising taxes for government services, was endorsed by “liberals” (I don’t think these two people are liberal but that’s just my observation) Pelosi and Clinton. But none of this proves their argument.

Why can’t conservatives just tell the truth about what they believe. I’d respect this ad much more if it specifically said that Medicaid expansion, HOPE expansions, and creating jobs which are Abrams “big government ideas”, as being too liberal. Say that they are against these ideas and see who wins when all information and positions are clear. If you have to purposefully leave out information for you to keep your beliefs, maybe you shouldn’t believe in those things in the first place.
Those particular ads aren't targeting you anymore than the claims that Kemp is a racist ultra-conservative, etc. are targeting Republicans. They are to get out the base.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
A lot of candidate's newsletters are like that. You read it and its like, "Really???" They target the extremes to get them to work for them, give money and vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia