Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times

Advertisements

It is not really that bad. Of course I have been here so long that I probably don't notice them much. However, I have been sitting outside on the patio in the late afternoon early evening and nary a gnat to be found! It is usually more of a "you are sweating" thing for the most part, however sometimes they can be "gnatting" around your head and face at any time.

This will sound like I made this up, but if you will put a dryer sheet (bounce, downey etc..) under your hat, it really will keep the gnats away from your face! This really does work! My step-son always did it, usually in the middle of summer when they were the worst, whenever he cut grass! Looks a little odd, but works well! (And you are "april fresh"!!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM

152 posts, read 745,863 times
FlourChild- Hopefully it won't be too bad. After many years of dealing with the love bugs in Florida that I mentioned, and the mosquitoes down there that I didn't mention, hopefully however bad the gnats are, I'm accustomed to dealing with pesty flying bugs. Guess we'll see though!

Katsmeeyow- Thanks for the tip in keeping the gnats away. That is rather unusual, in fact it's so unusual that if they do ever get to gnatting me too bad, I couldn't help but to remember that tip...thanks!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,024 times
Heh. Having a dryer sheet in your cap may look a little odd, but constantly scowling and waving in front of your face like you just lost a chili cookoff looks a lot odder.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:48 AM

FlourChild- Ha..no doubt that does look even odder! Thing is though, is I never wear a ballcap or any kinda hat, so I'll probably end up being one of the ones scowling and waving in front of my face like I just lost a chili cookoff, unless I can perhaps invent and maybe patent some sort of a chinstrap for holding a dryer sheet on an uncapped head. Hmmm.. that might just be the oddest looking of the three though...

Last edited by jeff3166; 05-17-2008 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: fat-fingered a word...

Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 44,993 times
Hello, I am going to be relocating to Albany and would like to know where the best schools are and the truth about Albany. I have read your posts and am interested in what you have to say, the good and the bad. My husband will work on MCLB.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobste View Post
Hello, I am going to be relocating to Albany and would like to know where the best schools are and the truth about Albany. I have read your posts and am interested in what you have to say, the good and the bad. My husband will work on MCLB.
I recently moved here (little over 3 months ago) and am single, with no kids, so am probably not the best one qualified to be responding to your inquiry. Matter a fact, I'm positive that I am not. With that said though....

I rented an apartment up in Leesburg, GA, which is basically an Albany suburb, just to the north of town. It's actually in a different county that Albany is, but very close to Albany, being that Albany is on the north edge of Dougherty County, and Leesburg is on the south edge of Lee County. That works out well, in that it makes for a short drive to the commercial areas (ie: restaurants, retail stores, the mall, etc.) of Albany, which Leesburg doesn't have much of. With no kids, I have no first-hand experience regarding the local school systems, but have read on here that the Lee County schools are generally more preferable.

As for the commute to the MCLB from Leesburg, I live on the southern edge of Leesburg, 11 miles from the base and my travel time from home to the base is about 20 minutes, thanks to about 7 of those miles being traveled on a limited-access 65 mph expressway. No matter where you decide to live though, Albany or somewhere else in the immediate area, traffic isn't bad anywhere really, from what I've heard, and it should take more than 20-30 minutes maximum to commute to/from the base from home.

Just a little info about the base here-- I'm not sure which base you're currently stationed at, but I can't imagine that that base is as sleepy as this one is. That's a good thing, in my opinion, as it's easy to access the base in the mornings and easy to get off it in the afternoon. The commissary and the exchange are probably about as small as you've seen. I've been to bases all over the eastern half of the country over the years, and other than Fort Monroe Army base in Hampton, VA, these are the smallest I've ever seen. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as you can fulfill some needs there, but you'll definitely have to do some grocery shopping out in town somewhere.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Wish I had more info for you but I'm sure others will come along and provide the info that I can't.

Good luck!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 AM

For schools, either go private or go Lee County in my opinion. I don't know what age kids, but Lake Park Elementary in Albany is really good, but that is only grades 1-5 with nowhere decent to go after that but private. There is also a magnet school that used to be good, but that was years ago and I do not know how it stacks up now.

Seriously, go Lee county or go private - wonderful private schools in Albany, but can be pricey.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 100,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
It is not really that bad. Of course I have been here so long that I probably don't notice them much. However, I have been sitting outside on the patio in the late afternoon early evening and nary a gnat to be found! It is usually more of a "you are sweating" thing for the most part, however sometimes they can be "gnatting" around your head and face at any time.

This will sound like I made this up, but if you will put a dryer sheet (bounce, downey etc..) under your hat, it really will keep the gnats away from your face! This really does work! My step-son always did it, usually in the middle of summer when they were the worst, whenever he cut grass! Looks a little odd, but works well! (And you are "april fresh"!!)

We sometimes did this at MCRD Parris Island, SC too!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 PM

It works, doesn't it???

Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 27,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
I've recently accepted a job in Albany, GA, and the MCLB. I am currently living in the Chicago, IL area and due to my work schedule, I will not be able to actually visit Albany prior to having to relocate there, and move in somewhere down there. Matter of fact, the closest I've ever been to Albany is when I've traveled up and down I-75, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area.

With all of that said, I am in a situation where I have to find an apartment and move in sight-unseen, doing all of my apartment searching online. In browsing various apartment websites, I am curious about a couple of different apartment complexes- Pointe North (on Dawson Rd.) and Hidden Oaks (on Mock Road).

If anyone has any information, positive or negative, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate knowing of any parts of town that should be avoided in searching for an apartment.

Thanks,

Jeff
Even though the Marine Base is on the East Side, you want to live in the Northwest. That is where the better apartments are and also the shopping/restaurant district. Pointe North is nice and used to be rather isolated, but now it's sandwiched between two strip malls. It's all ground floor apartments with small, private patios and lots of shrubs and shade trees.
If you insist on living near the base, you might try shadowWood or Quail Call, which looks just like Pointe North. There is another complex on Pinson Rd., but I can't remember the name. Most of these are within a mile or two of the rear gate to the base.
Avoid Hidden Oaks at all costs. It's rife with crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia