U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-25-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Hahira, GA
6 posts, read 34,466 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Sounds like you would enjoy living in South Georgia. Yes, it is hot in the summer months but you have very pleasant winter months and the fall & spring months are nice too. Valdosta is a larger community with all of the things we need in our day to day lives but if you are looking for a slower pace, look at Hahira, GA. Only 11 miles north of Valdosta. You are only 2 hours from Jacksonville, FL, and 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta. Email me if you would like additional info.

Pam Mathis
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
 
2 posts, read 29,061 times
Reputation: 14
You seem very knowlegable about GA. What do you think of Stockbrige? I have visited and am interested in moving from Long Island,NY with my husband and 2 children. What's the story about that side of town.
Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
 
1 posts, read 24,185 times
Reputation: 15
I moved to GA about two years ago from Michigan. I must admit I love the access to fine dining, amenties, and culture! However, there is alot to consider when moving to this area in terms of safety. I can't even watch the news anymore. I wish someone would've told me...but I've learned through experience, which is the best teacher. I don't know much about Stockbridge, but I wouldn't recommend you relocate to any of the areas in DEKALB county. I've noticed many nice homes in the neighborhoods, but it is not the homes that make the neighborhood it is the people Decatur, Lithonia, Stone Mountain..I would stay away from. Now don't get me wrong there are nice areas in these cities; however, when you are not from here those places are just too hard to find. Personally, I've seen "the hood" and I would not make such a big move to move back into "the hood." I'm sorry. So if you can avoid it... Try!
Good luck and I hope your move serves you and your family best
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: West Seattle, WA
12,873 posts, read 19,552,830 times
Reputation: 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole412 View Post
I moved to GA about two years ago from Michigan. I must admit I love the access to fine dining, amenties, and culture! However, there is alot to consider when moving to this area in terms of safety. I can't even watch the news anymore. I wish someone would've told me...but I've learned through experience, which is the best teacher. I don't know much about Stockbridge, but I wouldn't recommend you relocate to any of the areas in DEKALB county. I've noticed many nice homes in the neighborhoods, but it is not the homes that make the neighborhood it is the people Decatur, Lithonia, Stone Mountain..I would stay away from. Now don't get me wrong there are nice areas in these cities; however, when you are not from here those places are just too hard to find. Personally, I've seen "the hood" and I would not make such a big move to move back into "the hood." I'm sorry. So if you can avoid it... Try!
Good luck and I hope your move serves you and your family best
You know nothing about DeKalb or Decatur to be making statements like this. I suggest that if you offer opinions on this forum, that they be informed ones; otherwise, it tends to mislead the OPs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,714 posts, read 6,720,800 times
Reputation: 20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You know nothing about DeKalb or Decatur to be making statements like this. I suggest that if you offer opinions on this forum, that they be informed ones; otherwise, it tends to mislead the OPs.
Not trying to provoke you or anything, I think she spoke her opinion, and was very clear that it was HER opinion. She apparently has ideas that are different from yours and that is what this site is all about.

Not trying to go against you or anything, just have a difference of opinion?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Location: West Seattle, WA
12,873 posts, read 19,552,830 times
Reputation: 5772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Not trying to provoke you or anything, I think she spoke her opinion, and was very clear that it was HER opinion. She apparently has ideas that are different from yours and that is what this site is all about.

Not trying to go against you or anything, just have a difference of opinion?
Just defending my turf against the Philistines
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,714 posts, read 6,720,800 times
Reputation: 20468
Damn!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 04:56 PM
 
Location: HELL a.k.a Columbus, GA
239 posts, read 576,667 times
Reputation: 88
According to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed, these are the 10 safest cities in Georgia. As I suspected, virtually all of them in the middle of nowhere.

1. Ellabell
2. Damascus
3. Auburn
4. Ball Ground
5. Gordon
6. Unadilla
7. Byromville
8. Tennille
9. Axson
10. Warthen

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 07:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Earth
539 posts, read 1,434,508 times
Reputation: 262
Southern Metro Atlanta, more specifically Fayette or Coweta County. Some of the best school systems in the state but you have to do your research to be sure you end up in one of the better districts. Low crime. Beautiful up and coming shopping malls with just about every store you can think of. A vast array of dining options. The southern part of Atlanta Metro has less traffic if you are commuting into Atlanta. There are many lovely parks and excellent athletic facilities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 8,900,671 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
According to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed, these are the 10 safest cities in Georgia. As I suspected, virtually all of them in the middle of nowhere.

1. Ellabell
2. Damascus
3. Auburn
4. Ball Ground
5. Gordon
6. Unadilla
7. Byromville
8. Tennille
9. Axson
10. Warthen
I only recognize 2 --Auburn and Ball Ground, GA.

I went through Auburn, GA last year. Very, very small town NE of Lawrenceville, GA.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 07:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top