U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 10,803 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Unadilla, GA right off interstate 75 exit 122 and 121 to be exact. Population 2,400 give a take a person. I absolutely love my home town!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 02:19 PM

470 posts, read 1,310,399 times
Check out FBI stats for crime, they would be the most accurate, overall. But then you could look at city-data for the smaller town/county crime stats. According to the FBI's most recent stats, the Georgia and Atlanta crime rate has been dropping (released last week).

As for what's fun, what do you like to do? Fishing, hunting, water parks, hiking, art, movies dining, etc.? There is pretty much all of that here. No snow skiing though, have to head north in the winter to get that.
As for expensive to live here, it depends upon where you are coming from. Compared to most places in the northeast, I believe it is a lot lower. Also a lot lower than where I used to live in the northwest. There are plenty of online cost of living comparison calculators you can use.

I am in Athens, just an hour or so out of Atlanta, pretty quiet area, but the presence of the University gives it a pretty diverse culture. Good music, good food, convenient to the coast, the mountains, Atlanta, etc. Lower unemployment and cost of living than most of the area around Atlanta.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 AM

925 posts, read 2,292,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
According to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed, these are the 10 safest cities in Georgia. As I suspected, virtually all of them in the middle of nowhere.

1. Ellabell
2. Damascus
3. Auburn
4. Ball Ground
5. Gordon
6. Unadilla
7. Byromville
8. Tennille
9. Axson
10. Warthen
Ball Ground and Auburn aren't out in the middle of nowhere.

Ball Ground is located in northern Cherokee County. Granted you're in the rural part of Cherokee County, you're only ten miles away from suburban Cherokee County that has everything you need. You also have a quick drive to the mountains as well.

Auburn is a little town in the western areas of Barrow County. However, it is just a short drive from Dacula, located in Gwinnett County, which has everything you need. Lawrenceville, the Mall of Georgia, etc. are not that far away either.

Unadilla isn't too far from Warner Robins. While it is isolated, it isn't out in the middle of nowhere, when compared to the others (minus Ball Ground and Auburn).

Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM

375 posts, read 1,216,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
I wondered about this too. I live in Wyoming, and have never been to Georgia- but it looks absolutely beautiful. I've think quite often what it might be like to live in the South- it appeals to me in many ways, but I do worry about the crime I read about. Are there any places that are perfectly safe for families to live?? I also wondered if I could handle the humidity coming from such a dry climate, but the green of the area is so beautiful!!
I grew up in Wyoming. Georgia has always been beautiful from the first time I saw it in 1960 to now.

It's very much rural - just like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas. We have more counties and this is the largest state east of the big muddy. That said, most of the people are concentrated in a few cities - Atlanta-Macon, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta and Valdosta.

Humidity - it's always here with us - even in the three days of Feb winter. We don't get more than an inch or two of snow and that closes most of the schools.

You are safer where you live than here. Simply true because you don't have the population or the problems, nor the immigration.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,377,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Ball Ground and Auburn aren't out in the middle of nowhere.

Ball Ground is located in northern Cherokee County. Granted you're in the rural part of Cherokee County, you're only ten miles away from suburban Cherokee County that has everything you need. You also have a quick drive to the mountains as well.

Auburn is a little town in the western areas of Barrow County. However, it is just a short drive from Dacula, located in Gwinnett County, which has everything you need. Lawrenceville, the Mall of Georgia, etc. are not that far away either.
Unadilla isn't too far from Warner Robins. While it is isolated, it isn't out in the middle of nowhere, when compared to the others (minus Ball Ground and Auburn).

Actually, Auburn is split. The City limits is in Barrow County with much of unincorporated Auburn surround the Northern arc within Gwinnett County bordering Dacula and Buford. Many Auburn addresses are in the Dacula and Mill Creek School district.
Auburn / Gwinnett was also on the Atanta Business Chronicle's Top 25 most wealthy zip codes in the Atlanta area.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 27,803 times
If its a nice safe place to live and raise children, I say you should take a look at the town I grew up in. Hartwell Georgia is a small town, with a big lake , a big dam,and really nothing else. Hartwell has a decent school system, and if you move there you will get all caught up in high school football. North Georgia is a great place to raise a family, Hartwell is about 40 miles from Athens and the Bulldogs, and about 100 miles from Atlanta. You can make it to the beach in about 4 hours,or the mountains of North Carolina in less than 2 hours. The crime rate in Hartwell is very low. Not much industry anymore, but the town is very close to towns that do.The weather is usually pleasant, there are some very humid days during summer, but nothing a dip in the lake, or a good air conditioner won't cure.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:00 PM

309 posts, read 868,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
I grew up in Wyoming. Georgia has always been beautiful from the first time I saw it in 1960 to now.

It's very much rural - just like Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas. We have more counties and this is the largest state east of the big muddy. That said, most of the people are concentrated in a few cities - Atlanta-Macon, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta and Valdosta.

Humidity - it's always here with us - even in the three days of Feb winter. We don't get more than an inch or two of snow and that closes most of the schools.

You are safer where you live than here. Simply true because you don't have the population or the problems, nor the immigration.
And now you're back home in Wyoming - having fun in the snow yet?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,307 times
Hello I want to move to georgia I would like ask you a few ?'s can you email me glo.spea@gmail.com thank you

Old 11-24-2009, 04:03 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,035,660 times
Wow, that guy who made a comparison between Wyoming/Montana/The Dakotas and Georgia took a HUGE stretch. Even without the metros of Georgia (and he even left out several of those such as Albany, Rome, Athens, etc.)...We would still have many more micropolitan areas and niced sized towns than those states and Georgia also has much different demographics, scenery, and environment in general.

I mean, hey you could say NY is like very much like Wyoming using that vague logic.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 11-24-2009 at 04:13 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM

375 posts, read 1,216,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Wow, that guy who made a comparison between Wyoming/Montana/The Dakotas and Georgia took a HUGE stretch. Even without the metros of Georgia (and he even left out several of those such as Albany, Rome, Athens, etc.)...We would still have many more micropolitan areas and niced sized towns than those states and Georgia also has much different demographics, scenery, and environment in general.
80% of Georgia is rural - Wyoming and Montana are 95% rural. Close enuf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or