U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the anchor of SW Georgia?
Albany 32 80.00%
Valodsta 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:39 PM

23,115 posts, read 37,579,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Where does SW Georgia start then? Is Thomasville SW or South?
SW GA towns:

Americus
Dawson
Albany
Blakely
Sylvester
Camilla
Moultrie
Thomasville
Cairo
Bainbridge
Cordele
Tifton

Valdosta is arguable, as it sits on the frontier of both SE and SW GA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:03 PM

10,369 posts, read 10,383,590 times
For the time being, Albany. And not to disparage the city, but I cannot see it hanging on to that title. It has a tough economy and young folks are leaving that entire area for more metropolitan locales. I was one of them...

Further, I think with Valdosta State University being located in, well, Valdosta, it's proximity to I75 and it's relative close proximity to Tallahassee and Jacksonville, I imagine it will soon catch up with Albany's population and certainly exceed Albany's level of sophistication.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 3,467,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
For the time being, Albany. And not to disparage the city, but I cannot see it hanging on to that title. It has a tough economy and young folks are leaving that entire area for more metropolitan locales. I was one of them...

Further, I think with Valdosta State University being located in, well, Valdosta, it's proximity to I75 and it's relative close proximity to Tallahassee and Jacksonville, I imagine it will soon catch up with Albany's population and certainly exceed Albany's level of sophistication.
What exactly do you think is leading to Albany’s decline? Could it ever rebound?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,723,915 times
Both Valdosta and Albany are, somewhat, military town with bases. Also, Albany has some manufacturing. Albany DOES have a Riverwalk and lovely riverside park just east of its downtown square. As someone else pointed out, both have state universities, and both kind of have a "overgrown farm town" flair to them, and I DON'T mean that to be disparaging. The medical industry is probably Albany's "ace in the hole". My South Georgia relatives tell me that Albany's Phoebie Putney Hospital is their ONLY viable alternative to "driving to Tallahassee"; they are FULL of horror stories about the areas other hospitals in Moultrie, Tifton, AND Valdosta. Still, with Valdosta's (which IS in Southwest Georgia) interstate access, they will, probably sooner than later, WIN this regional rivalry. Valdosta is growing; Albany is shrinking. Of my relatives in the Albany area, most have, with the exception of one that has a gorgeous home on Albany's more "fashionable" northwest side, have already moved to Lee County, Albany's northern suburb. Still, Albany does boast better shopping and store and restaurant selection between the two, but there is no telling when Valdosta could go on a building spree.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 PM

489 posts, read 893,377 times
Historically, Albany!!!!

Valdosta has more upside potential, and will be the undisputed anchor of South GA in the next 10 years!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
What exactly do you think is leading to Albany’s decline? Could it ever rebound?
Well, for starters, a third of the population live below the poverty line. The per capita income is less than 2/3 of the national average. The population growth rate has been pretty much flatlining since 1960, and it suffers from a serious case of white flight. The city population is 72% black; its main bedroom community of Leesburg, on the other hand, has a population that is 70% white. Segregate much?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 07-27-2018 at 02:03 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 PM

14,995 posts, read 24,016,053 times
Of Southwest Georgia? Albany.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:00 PM

1,930 posts, read 4,315,604 times
I've said this on other posts about Albany, and I'll say it again here. I've always heard nothing but outright negative things about Albany. It was to the point where I expected to see nothing but slums and decay when I visited. I hadn't been in years before around 2013-2014. I went to pickup/drop off a relative at times who was attending Albany State University. I didnt go much further than the school and the Walmart closest to it. It was nothing spectacular, but it didnt look horrible either. It looked sleepy/boring more than anything.

When she graduated, I had a chance to go to the Civic Center. I noticed the hotel nearby (Hilton, I believe). Again, it was nothing spectacular but it wasnt horrible either. It didnt look too shabby or anything. We drove a few miles out to eat at some restaurant, I didnt see any incredibly bad areas along the way.

I have another family member there now, whom I'm a bit closer too. I was able to go to the mall. Considering Albany's size, and it's reputation, I again expected much worse. It looked OK, with fairly a decent amount retail for the city's size. The immediate area didnt look bad either.

I havent seen this "terrible" Albany yet. I'm sure everybody cant be a liar, so there's obviously parts I havent seen, but my experience does tell me this. For as bad as the rest of Albany must be, there sure has to be enough relatively decent spots too, because that's all I've seen. It makes me wonder if people exaggerate about how bad it is.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I've said this on other posts about Albany, and I'll say it again here. I've always heard nothing but outright negative things about Albany. It was to the point where I expected to see nothing but slums and decay when I visited. I hadn't been in years before around 2013-2014. I went to pickup/drop off a relative at times who was attending Albany State University. I didnt go much further than the school and the Walmart closest to it. It was nothing spectacular, but it didnt look horrible either. It looked sleepy/boring more than anything.

When she graduated, I had a chance to go to the Civic Center. I noticed the hotel nearby (Hilton, I believe). Again, it was nothing spectacular but it wasnt horrible either. It didnt look too shabby or anything. We drove a few miles out to eat at some restaurant, I didnt see any incredibly bad areas along the way.

I have another family member there now, whom I'm a bit closer too. I was able to go to the mall. Considering Albany's size, and it's reputation, I again expected much worse. It looked OK, with fairly a decent amount retail for the city's size. The immediate area didnt look bad either.

I havent seen this "terrible" Albany yet. I'm sure everybody cant be a liar, so there's obviously parts I havent seen, but my experience does tell me this. For as bad as the rest of Albany must be, there sure has to be enough relatively decent spots too, because that's all I've seen. It makes me wonder if people exaggerate about how bad it is.
Point well taken, I suppose, but when you're throwing around phrases such as "wasn't horrible", "not incredibly bad" and "nothing spectacular", aren't you rather damning with faint praise?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:52 PM

240 posts, read 152,602 times
I would say that the stereotypes associated with Albany are overexaggerated to say the least. The biggest challenge the city/area has present day is the lack of interstate access making it pretty “isolated” in comparison to the other 2nd/3rd tier cities in the state. There are nicer areas of the city and some that aren’t so nice, but by no means is it terrible in the way many people try to make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia