U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM

6,473 posts, read 5,788,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Villa Rica councilman has resigned from his post after making an “inappropriate racial comment” to a city employee, according to the mayor.

Mayor Jeff Reese said former councilman Verland Best stepped down Tuesday. Best was first elected as the Ward 2 representative in 1994 and served in the position consecutively for seven terms.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/inapp...QJq2KGBR4FJgJ/
Rate this post positively

Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,070,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
The guy said he was trying to convey what a parent said to him 30 years ago in an attempt to show how times had changed for the better. The complaint does not contridict this—but the complaintant said that the use of the word at all made the person making the complaint uncomfortable.

“In the complaint, the employee, Lenise Lyons, said Best was conveying what a parent once said to him.*

Best said in a letter of apology, read before the council at its meeting Tuesday, he was surprised and upset by the complaint.
“Had I known that anything I said had caused the person I was addressing anlogized immediately and, if permitted, I would have tried to make clear what I meant,” he said.
Best said he regretted directly quoting the parent rather than paraphrasing, but*“focused more on the point I was making than the terminology of the comment. I thought, then and now, that the comment I quoted helped me to illustrate my point that we have come a very long way from 30 plus years ago and want to just continue going forward.”
Best said he never intended to disrespect or offend anyone or any group. He left the conversation with Lyons thinking it was a positive one.”

Old 09-05-2018, 02:51 PM

7,071 posts, read 2,832,109 times
Good.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:58 PM

4,694 posts, read 8,474,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Good.

You think witch-hunts are good? Do you not understand that these kinds of things cause a degradation for everyone? Those who have any drive or motivation will soon stop bothering because who knows if someone will drag up something out of context 3 decades later. All forward progression in Anything will be lost, as you have only the most milquetoast of individuals who occupy any position that might Ever come under criticism.

If you think it's good, then I hope you get to experience similar in your own life. Career taken from you, name dragged through the mud, for something taken out of context. Because that's "good".

Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM

7,071 posts, read 2,832,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You think witch-hunts are good? Do you not understand that these kinds of things cause a degradation for everyone? Those who have any drive or motivation will soon stop bothering because who knows if someone will drag up something out of context 3 decades later. All forward progression in Anything will be lost, as you have only the most milquetoast of individuals who occupy any position that might Ever come under criticism.

If you think it's good, then I hope you get to experience similar in your own life. Career taken from you, name dragged through the mud, for something taken out of context. Because that's "good".
I stand by my previous post.

Good.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:26 PM

4,489 posts, read 4,817,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I don't know the context of this situation so I can't speak on the issue, because all we know he was supposedly repeating a story, but we don't know the story. The story itself could been something that shouldn't have been repeated. in that case he made a stupid mistake that it's his own fault for this situation. If you went to your Job repeated a story of some one using the n word it probably come as inappropriate and you could lose your job. whether it was joke or not. It's just dumb and irresponsible.

That's one of the weirdest things about this Trump era, a guy in the white house says the most offensive and dumbest stuff that if he worked at a McDonald he would be fired over. Some one people try to immulate and shocked when they get in trouble for it. Like really?

Also term like "witch hunt" "fake news" "PC" basically lost there meaning because the over use and often inacrute use of by the president and his Supporters.

They create a false notion they are above getting offended and people are just being too sensitive. Which is funny, At the same time while Minorities are called too sensitive and should forgive or ignore racist the right wing is overtly sensitive or the kneeling thing. A lot of people on the right believe there's a war on Christmas and will get offended if you tell them happy holidays. So this has very little to do with PC or being too sensitive. Being that the right use PC and are sensitive to some issues. They just used those terms to distract the fact they antipathetic towards minorities then present a pretentious argument that they are some how above getting offended. I was told growing up by my mother don't say anything if can't say something nice. It's sad we live in a time that morality is politicize.

There is no "witch hunt" whats happening is we live in an era of social media, Social media is double edge sword, You don't suppose to post or do stuff on social media that could hurt you later. So a lot of stuff is being dug up from people being irresponsible. Society has always had rules when it comes to behavior you can't walk in job interview and say whatever you want.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:48 PM

8,933 posts, read 11,422,669 times
Context is irrelevant.

You're not allowed to use the n-word, ever.

That's just the world we're living in, and he should have known that.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 PM

5,925 posts, read 4,371,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Context is irrelevant.

You're not allowed to use the n-word, ever.

That's just the world we're living in, and he should have known that.
And it should apply to everyone.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 PM

8,933 posts, read 11,422,669 times
I don't think it should apply to comedians. But that's about it.

Maybe rappers, too.

But to me, where you think it should apply doesn't matter. The public has decided politicians aren't allowed to say it, even when quoting someone else. They don't have to agree with that, but they have to be smart enough to know if they violate it, they're finished. So in my mind, the guy may not be a racist, but he sure is dumb. And that's probably a good enough reason to get him out of office.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:02 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,307,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I don't know the context of this situation so I can't speak on the issue, because all we know he was supposedly repeating a story, but we don't know the story. The story itself could been something that shouldn't have been repeated. in that case he made a stupid mistake that it's his own fault for this situation. If you went to your Job repeated a story of some one using the n word it probably come as inappropriate and you could lose your job. whether it was joke or not. It's just dumb and irresponsible.

That's one of the weirdest things about this Trump era, a guy in the white house says the most offensive and dumbest stuff that if he worked at a McDonald he would be fired over. Some one people try to immulate and shocked when they get in trouble for it. Like really?

Also term like "witch hunt" "fake news" "PC" basically lost there meaning because the over use and often inacrute use of by the president and his Supporters.

They create a false notion they are above getting offended and people are just being too sensitive. Which is funny, At the same time while Minorities are called too sensitive and should forgive or ignore racist the right wing is overtly sensitive or the kneeling thing. A lot of people on the right believe there's a war on Christmas and will get offended if you tell them happy holidays. So this has very little to do with PC or being too sensitive. Being that the right use PC and are sensitive to some issues. They just used those terms to distract the fact they antipathetic towards minorities then present a pretentious argument that they are some how above getting offended. I was told growing up by my mother don't say anything if can't say something nice. It's sad we live in a time that morality is politicize.

There is no "witch hunt" whats happening is we live in an era of social media, Social media is double edge sword, You don't suppose to post or do stuff on social media that could hurt you later. So a lot of stuff is being dug up from people being irresponsible. Society has always had rules when it comes to behavior you can't walk in job interview and say whatever you want.
What he or she said!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia