Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 7,449 times

Advertisements

Hello - my first time posting - I currently live in a small town in Louisiana - I was born in Atlanta 40+ years ago and have thought about relocating to the north ga mountain area - I am single and have a eight year old daughter - I am wondering which area has the best school system, lowest crime and affordability. Can anyone help me out with some info please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 04:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmac65 View Post
Hello - my first time posting - I currently live in a small town in Louisiana - I was born in Atlanta 40+ years ago and have thought about relocating to the north ga mountain area - I am single and have a eight year old daughter - I am wondering which area has the best school system, lowest crime and affordability. Can anyone help me out with some info please?
Pretty much anywhere in the North GA mountain region should have low crime, and decent to good schools. I'm not sure about affordability though.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
amazing how long these posts continue. the original post was from 2006.

with that said, define affordability?

Towns County (Hiawassee, Young Harris) is the lowest tax county in GA. No crime. Single school K-12. has a 4 year college, Young Harris College which is a great school. Rabun County (Clayton) is ok as well as Union County. these are adjacent to Towns.

good luck.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM

31 posts, read 128,977 times
North Fulton County, or North Cobb County. Alpharetta, East Cobb, Kennesaw, or Roswell.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM

55 posts, read 88,242 times
The best thing to do would be to look up places on the internet and when you decide which one is best rent a place there with a short lease until you decide for sure.

Savannah is beautiful, but there are lots of tourists and not much to do if you're not a tourist, you might get sick of the same old restaraunts and the 4 or 5 bars.

Walton County is beautiful but the town is tiny, there's nothing to do unless you go to Athens or Atlanta, but it is 30 minutes from Stone Mountain which is great for family, 45 minutes from Atlanta and 20 minutes from Athens if you want to go see a movie, play pool, go to a very nice park or to a nice restaurant. The schools in Loganville would be a good choice which, depending on where you live in Walton, is usually a pretty short drive.

Don't even consider Oglethorpe, it stinks. Cheap, but a horrible school system.

Griffin is nice if you'd like to be in a small town and live pretty much off to yourself, there's really nothing to do there unless you want to rent a movie and take it home to a frozen pizza. Not sure about the schools, but it's pretty much a small town where people know almost everyone.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,126 times
My husband is waiting for a offer from the New Kia Plant thats opening in West Point,Ga and we live in Athens now and we love it here so what cities around there are similar/like Athens? We have 3 kids..a daughter that is 11 and going into 5th grade and a 2 year old son and a 4 month old son so obviously were looking for pretty good schools as well!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherof31998 View Post
My husband is waiting for a offer from the New Kia Plant thats opening in West Point,Ga and we live in Athens now and we love it here so what cities around there are similar/like Athens? We have 3 kids..a daughter that is 11 and going into 5th grade and a 2 year old son and a 4 month old son so obviously were looking for pretty good schools as well!
Uhhh none. Athens is sort of a one of a kind in Georgia.. I guess the closest place to La Grange that would be similar to Athens would be Auburn, AL

Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,292 times
Smile How about these places in atlanta?

What about these places? Covington, Conyers, McDonough
What is the location like? Is it safe, type of people living in area (upper class, middle class, etc), good neighborhood and cleanliness?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,149 times
Default may move to Ga

Just lookin for a sm home not in the city, hows Athens to
settle down in?
gotta get out of Chicago, and slow down

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,506 times
I am looking for some feedback.. I moved here to Lawrenceville, GA on June of 2009 from NJ. I am looking for better apts. and better schools for my kids.. Which areas would you recommend for me.. affordable apts. and good schools.. I looked at Norcross, Duluth etc.. I don't know my way around yet.. If anyone can give me some advice and feedback. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia