Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Why the PSC is partisan is beyond me, but the result is straight party voting in most cases regardless of candidates hence all 5 members of the PSC are Republican. As a matter of fact, the PSC could be appointed by the legislature and it would be better. People generally pay attention to their state reps and senators....the PSC is a waste of an election in my opinion as few actually research candidates. We have too many down ballot races which lends itself to voter fatigue.

I spend a considerable amount of time researching candidates prior to each election....most people probably don't. The upside is my vote multiplies as most of my friends and family ask my opinion on these down ballot races because they know I know so I influence them to vote my way! :-)
Not a bad suggestion.

I think that would also be good for local judicial elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,329,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Why the PSC is partisan is beyond me, but the result is straight party voting in most cases regardless of candidates hence all 5 members of the PSC are Republican. As a matter of fact, the PSC could be appointed by the legislature and it would be better. People generally pay attention to their state reps and senators....the PSC is a waste of an election in my opinion as few actually research candidates. We have too many down ballot races which lends itself to voter fatigue.

I spend a considerable amount of time researching candidates prior to each election....most people probably don't. The upside is my vote multiplies as most of my friends and family ask my opinion on these down ballot races because they know I know so I influence them to vote my way! :-)

I tend to do my research before voting. It takes at least an hour when there are so many on a ballot. Still, I prefer this than to have to vote how many times. This last election almost missed me as I was completely unaware of it until a few days before.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,329,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
They were. In the general election back in November, the leading candidates for the SoS and PSC seats didn't receive 50.1%+ of the vote, hence the runoff.

But wasn't there another election earlier in the year (other than November and not for SOS/Public SC)? It would have been nice if they did one then and then schedule the run off the same time we voted in November.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,068,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
But wasn't there another election earlier in the year (other than November and not for SOS/Public SC)? It would have been nice if they did one then and then schedule the run off the same time we voted in November.
The primaries back in May?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:13 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
The State of California most notably utilizes the type of setup that you are talking about in the form of a "Top-Two" primary-runoff system where, instead of two separate party primaries, all of the candidates, regardless of party affiliation (Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent, etc), participate in one open primary (or a "jungle primary" as some people call it), and the top two vote-getters advance to a runoff that takes place on the date of the general election.

The State of Georgia appears to utilize a slight variation this "Top-Two" primary-runoff type of setup during special elections... Like most notably during the Georgia 6th Congressional District special election last year where Republican Karen Handel (who went on to be defeated by Democrat Lucy McBath in a historic upset during the 2018 Congressional election) defeated Democrat Jon Ossoff in a special election contest (to replace longtime GA 6th District Congressman Tom Price) that stands out for being the most expensive congressional race, ever.

California switched to the "Top-Two" primary-runoff type of system as a way to motivate candidates to run campaigns that will more broadly appeal to a larger swath of the voting public than party primaries that increasingly most often are targeted exclusively at much more ideological base voters.

Some have floated the idea of switching to the "Top-Two" primary-runoff system in Georgia as a means of motivating both the two major political parties and their candidates to appeal to a much more broad swath of the voting public rather than just the extremes on the right and/or the left.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM

815 posts, read 700,998 times
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/th...9elR0uIzuc5bL/

Both Raffensperger and Eaton won the runoff by about 52% to 48%. I was expecting a slaughter because I had read that voters 65+ made up half of the electorate and the black percentage dropped to 25% of the electorate.

Even though all the Democrats lost, I think things are looking pretty good for them in 2020 and beyond all things considered.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
I see where State House District 28 was decided by only 3 votes.

A good reminder that every single vote counts!

https://www.ajc.com/news/gen-politic...7VsrLoZjy4EDK/

Old 12-06-2018, 12:52 PM

815 posts, read 700,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I see where State House District 28 was decided by only 3 votes.

A good reminder that every single vote counts!

https://www.ajc.com/news/gen-politic...7VsrLoZjy4EDK/
Wow can't get much closer than that! I'm happy the challenger won this one. I was really disturbed about the goof that the election officials made in his election and the fact that he only found out about the mistake through happenstance.

I wonder if GA will get paper ballots in time for 2020?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,820,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/th...9elR0uIzuc5bL/

Both Raffensperger and Eaton won the runoff by about 52% to 48%. I was expecting a slaughter because I had read that voters 65+ made up half of the electorate and the black percentage dropped to 25% of the electorate.

Even though all the Democrats lost, I think things are looking pretty good for them in 2020 and beyond all things considered.
runoffs are never that close in georgia. it's usually a wash. one thing to remember is that our electorate is one of the most inelastic in the country— there aren't many swing voters. if the democrats are pulling 48-49% on a consistent basis it's probably not long before the democratic party holds all the cards in this state, if everything continues to go in the same direction. i don't think either party having full control is a good solution, we'll just trade out the problems we have for the problems blue states have. we need to have people above the political fray, and above corporate interests, guiding our policies. neither party fits the bill.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:53 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
runoffs are never that close in georgia. it's usually a wash. one thing to remember is that our electorate is one of the most inelastic in the country— there aren't many swing voters. if the democrats are pulling 48-49% on a consistent basis it's probably not long before the democratic party holds all the cards in this state, if everything continues to go in the same direction. i don't think either party having full control is a good solution, we'll just trade out the problems we have for the problems blue states have. we need to have people above the political fray, and above corporate interests, guiding our policies. neither party fits the bill.
The one thing constant is change. Its amusing to look at the 1976 election (Ford-Carter) and compare to the close 2000, 2004 or 2016 elections. Its almost a complete flip. Only the Rocky Mountain and a few states in the Northeast have remained aligned the same. President Trump carried 16 of the 24 states President Carter did, all but HI, MA, RI, NY, DE, MD, MN, DC. Hillary Clinton carried 11 of the 27 states President Ford did. Democrats seemingly had a permanent House majority until 1994. Republicans were talking about a permanent presidential majority in the 80s with California strongly Republican. Democrats were talking about a permanent presidential majority in 2008 with California strongly Democrat and the "blue wall" in the upper midwest. I guess one other constant is the side in the majority will get arrogant and the voters will kick them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia