Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Sometimes you must flee. It is sad though. What year and highschool did you graduate from? I was Westover '84.
Oh my goodness...I graduated in 84 too...went to Darton for a couple of yrs and then transferred to UGA. Unfortunately the zoning changed when I was entering HS...I was going to go to westover too...most of my friends were there...a couple over at AH...but I ended up over at Riverview Academy before Sherwood usurped it and brought back to life...yes, my mom sent me the movie "facing the giants" . Otherwise I wouldve had to go to Monroe....which my mom was dead set against. I am so sure we know alot of the same people. Do you live in Lee county??

Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,432 times
Some of the things that bug me so much about Albany are actually nobody's fault (hellacious weather, utter flatness). Other stuff, such as not being able to get civil customer service because you're white, IS someone's fault.

Albany seems to be the town where every bitter, ignorant, angry black person in the world has congregated to get back at someone, even if that "someone" had NOTHING TO DO with his or her problems. Some self-serving, disingenuous doofuses (doofii?) claim that only whites can "oppress" anyone, failing completely to understand that anybody in the majority--which in Albany, means black people--can and do oppress others. Does this apply to every single black person in Albany? Of course not, and I have stated that so many times already that it gives me a headache.

This circumstance came as a shock to me, because I was used to dealing with educated professionals of every--and I do mean EVERY--race, people who didn't realize they were supposed to subscribe to the embittered victim mentality just because they weren't white. They were too busy getting advanced degrees and working hard to "poor me" themselves and everyone around them to death. You know those poor whites who run around with Confederate flags on everything, goofily conspiracy-theorizing everything in sight, still fighting the "War Between the States" and hoping for a different outcome? Pathetic, right? Well, that kind of mindset isn't unique to whites, unfortunately. Focus on every past grievance you can think of, to the exclusion of improving your education and your future, and see what you get--no matter WHAT color you are. And what do you get? Albany.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Yep - Lee county! I am quite sure we know some of the same folks!

I too went to Darton after graduating!!! We probably had a few classes together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
Oh my goodness...I graduated in 84 too...went to Darton for a couple of yrs and then transferred to UGA. Unfortunately the zoning changed when I was entering HS...I was going to go to westover too...most of my friends were there...a couple over at AH...but I ended up over at Riverview Academy before Sherwood usurped it and brought back to life...yes, my mom sent me the movie "facing the giants" . Otherwise I wouldve had to go to Monroe....which my mom was dead set against. I am so sure we know alot of the same people. Do you live in Lee county??

Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Some of the things that bug me so much about Albany are actually nobody's fault (hellacious weather, utter flatness). Other stuff, such as not being able to get civil customer service because you're white, IS someone's fault.

Albany seems to be the town where every bitter, ignorant, angry black person in the world has congregated to get back at someone, even if that "someone" had NOTHING TO DO with his or her problems. Some self-serving, disingenuous doofuses (doofii?) claim that only whites can "oppress" anyone, failing completely to understand that anybody in the majority--which in Albany, means black people--can and do oppress others. Does this apply to every single black person in Albany? Of course not, and I have stated that so many times already that it gives me a headache.

This circumstance came as a shock to me, because I was used to dealing with educated professionals of every--and I do mean EVERY--race, people who didn't realize they were supposed to subscribe to the embittered victim mentality just because they weren't white. They were too busy getting advanced degrees and working hard to "poor me" themselves and everyone around them to death. You know those poor whites who run around with Confederate flags on everything, goofily conspiracy-theorizing everything in sight, still fighting the "War Between the States" and hoping for a different outcome? Pathetic, right? Well, that kind of mindset isn't unique to whites, unfortunately. Focus on every past grievance you can think of, to the exclusion of improving your education and your future, and see what you get--no matter WHAT color you are. And what do you get? Albany.
You have said exactly the way it is. I knew that was a reason why I had to get out. Like I said, it is so sad. They only know that and live that because that is all they know...it is called living in a box. When I come back home to visit (I have lived alot of places and have traveled too), it is almost like my old friends are intimidated by what I say and what I have experienced. A fear of the unknown...outside of Albany.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 AM

When I moved to Albany, I was sad, but only because I had enjoyed north Alabama so much and hated to leave. I made up my mind to give Albany an honest chance, to look for the good. Well, honey, the good can be summed up on about four fingers, which leaves one finger free to be tempted toward a certain gesture.

If I were walking into businesses snarling, or being snotty, I'd understand and expect the bad attitudes. But when you address people as "Ma'am" and "Sir" and smile and say "Please" and "Thank you" and STILL get crap? Nuh-uh. Screw that noise. I feel like saying "Yeah, you're really striking a blow for change, denying service and being mean at that restaurant, you ignorant skank. Wow, I really feel bad about social injustice NOW.

Actually, now I just despise you."

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Maybe you should to move to Lee county where everybody else has gone. Dont know if the attitude would be any different.

I will have to say that when I do visit Albany and I go to the Publix out near the mall....everyone there is always so friendly with "mams" and even taking a bag of groceries out to the car. It makes me feel good to be able to take a pleasant memory away...people smiling and being friendly.

One time when I was in there and they wanted to see my drivers license because I was living in AZ at the time. That's why they wanted to see it...(the cashiers and the baggers, and the customer behind me) because it was an AZ drivers license. It was like, even though I was in my home town, the fact I had an AZ license was like a big deal. AZ is like a world away to them, and it is.

I feel bad for you, Flour, can you go back to AL? I hate to ask this, but you are probably familiar with the bible belt thing, have you found a good church there? My folks go to Porterfield methodist and they love it...it has lots of activity going on. Sometimes if you surround yourself with more positive people, you migh tbe able to get thru your time there alittle easier. You really seem like a nice person with a good attitude....well what part of Albany that hasnt taken it down.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
RunnerGrl and I were cheerleaders together in Jr. High! What a small small world!!!

I go to Porterfield! Parents too!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
Maybe you should to move to Lee county where everybody else has gone. Dont know if the attitude would be any different.

I will have to say that when I do visit Albany and I go to the Publix out near the mall....everyone there is always so friendly with "mams" and even taking a bag of groceries out to the car. It makes me feel good to be able to take a pleasant memory away...people smiling and being friendly.

One time when I was in there and they wanted to see my drivers license because I was living in AZ at the time. That's why they wanted to see it...(the cashiers and the baggers, and the customer behind me) because it was an AZ drivers license. It was like, even though I was in my home town, the fact I had an AZ license was like a big deal. AZ is like a world away to them, and it is.

I feel bad for you, Flour, can you go back to AL? I hate to ask this, but you are probably familiar with the bible belt thing, have you found a good church there? My folks go to Porterfield methodist and they love it...it has lots of activity going on. Sometimes if you surround yourself with more positive people, you migh tbe able to get thru your time there alittle easier. You really seem like a nice person with a good attitude....well what part of Albany that hasnt taken it down.
Thank you. I appreciate the kindness. One good thing that has come from all this (for me, at least) is that I've DEFINITELY come to appreciate (vs. take for granted) decent customer service and friendly people. When it's rare, you go out of your way to encourage it where you find it. I don't expect ANYBODY to fawn over me or anyone else; that's not what I mean by "decent customer service".

What I do mean is courtesy and response to courtesy, promptness, and general civility. And I expect that from anybody--white, Indian, Chinese, black, male, female, what have you. Showing professionalism and civility isn't being an Uncle Tom; it's how things are done if you want to get ahead. Act with kindness and intelligence, and you won't be a restaurant server/grocery clerk/yard guy forever; act ugly, and that will be the best you can ever hope for in life, if you're lucky. I don't care what someone actually thinks of me, as long as they act like they've got some sense. (That may sound hypocritical, but just try MAKING anybody sincerely like you. Doesn't work.)

I actually pay a bit more at Piggly Wiggly on Westover just because their employees are so professional and so nice, and I have called the manager there to ask him to thank his employees for being so great. (Note: I do not work for, nor do I personally know anyone who works for, Piggy Wiggly or its management, and I do not own stock in the company.)

We like our church, but even with extra activities, that's a few hours out of the week, with the rest spent in homesickness and frustration. We are making efforts to get back to Alabama--not because AL is paradise (just check the AL boards here) but because it's home. I've tried. I really, honestly have. I spent our first year here looking for things to like and enjoy. But Albany will never be home to me. I thought it was just me, until I heard/read so many others saying the things I felt. It's not just me.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
RunnerGrl and I were cheerleaders together in Jr. High! What a small small world!!!

Yay! That sounds great! Good for y'all.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:

During middle school....I was at Central Baptist, got baptised there, and since I havent joined a church anywhere else...technically, I am still a member. But my mom and my stepdad got married at and joined Porterfield probably about 20 plus yrs ago. And since they were members, my husband and I were married there in 1990.

As Kats mentioned...yes, I thought we did cheer together in jr high. If memory serves...it was the red plaid vests and red skirts we wore. I think the group picture is coming back to me, haha. Go braves! I still remember some of those old chants we used to do.

And Flour...I know what you mean about going home. I have lived in some pretty cool places (CT, AZ, NC, VA, OH and CA), but my heart really wants to come home. I know GA can really bite...with the humidity, bugs, mosquitoes...AND in Albany you guys got those nasty gnats, I had forgotten about those until last summer. In Atlanta the growth is out of control and the traffic is bad. But it is home base....so warts and all, I am ready just to be back home in be settled for awhile...and bring my girls up southern so they know where they came from.

So you folks pray real hard for me so that my husband can get transferred with his job to atlanta...REAL soon. There arent any openings right now, and he really likes the company he works for, so I am really praying we can get back because it just feels like that's where need to be. Thanks!

Last edited by runnergrl; 04-14-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia