U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

5 posts, read 932 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring this year from NJ with pensions. We are both in our 50ís. We have visited GA and we would like to live there. Our kids are grown and we will be looking for part time jobs to supplement our incomes. We love live music and want to be part of a community with a downtown with Farmers markets and breweries. Good hospitals are very important as well. We donít want to live in a place with HOA fees. Our budget is between 250k and 300k. It would be nice to have at least 1/2 acre of flat land. We will not be commuting into Atlanta. While we are very vibrant and young at heart, we would like to make friends in our age group. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

1,611 posts, read 652,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamag View Post
My husband and I will be retiring this year from NJ with pensions. We are both in our 50ís. We have visited GA and we would like to live there. Our kids are grown and we will be looking for part time jobs to supplement our incomes. We love live music and want to be part of a community with a downtown with Farmers markets and breweries. Good hospitals are very important as well. We donít want to live in a place with HOA fees. Our budget is between 250k and 300k. It would be nice to have at least 1/2 acre of flat land. We will not be commuting into Atlanta. While we are very vibrant and young at heart, we would like to make friends in our age group. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Given your price range, the preference to be near a downtown, your desire to be near good hospitals and want for flat-ish land, I would suggest Newnan.

Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

1,993 posts, read 1,708,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamag View Post
My husband and I will be retiring this year from NJ with pensions. We are both in our 50’s. We have visited GA and we would like to live there. Our kids are grown and we will be looking for part time jobs to supplement our incomes. We love live music and want to be part of a community with a downtown with Farmers markets and breweries. Good hospitals are very important as well. We don’t want to live in a place with HOA fees. Our budget is between 250k and 300k. It would be nice to have at least 1/2 acre of flat land. We will not be commuting into Atlanta. While we are very vibrant and young at heart, we would like to make friends in our age group. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Athens, Ga area might be pretty close to what you want. It is more than a University town—and you can get a lot of culture, food and land on the cheap. Festivals, botanical garden, parks, concerts, sports, all there. Never really looked for farmers markets out there though—but there are farmers. Way less traffic than Atlanta, but only 60 miles or so from the city limits.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

944 posts, read 868,102 times
Marietta and Woodstock both fit the bill in that they have downtowns with farmer's markets and live music galore, and are near good healthcare. The half acre of flat land will be tricky in atlanta in that price range (as all the families with kids also want the same), but totally feasible. Some would say your budget will be tight in the cities mentioned above, but assuming you're not looking for a large 3,000 sqf house, it should be easy to find something in that price range. It may not be 100% updated mind you. I am consistently impressed at all the free live events that these two cities put on almost continuously, I think you will be too.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,286,537 times
Check out the Gainesville area as well. It has a growing downtown with local shops and restaurants, a farmer’s market on the Gainesville square, at least two craft beer places (Downtown Drafts and Tap It), and a brewery just south of the city (Left Nut Brewery). Jaemor Farms and Mountain Fresh Creamery are both just a few miles to the north. Lots of festivals in town with free music going on all the time. There are also frequent concerts through the Arts Council as well as through Brenau University. Lots of top-notch theater/arts productions through the Gainesville Theater Alliance and Gainesville Ballet. Plus there is Lake Lanier and proximity to the north Georgia mountains about 30 minutes away. Top notch healthcare through Northeast Georgia Health System, with a 500+ bed hospital and just about every medical specialty imaginable. It is pretty hilly up here, but I don’t think it would be too hard to find a reasonably flat half acre just outside of town. Parts of the city itself are pretty working class with some industrial areas, especially on the south side of town. However, there are also a lot of great neighborhoods in town as well as beautiful areas to the north and north west of the city limits. Lots of retirees in the area from all over the country, so it shouldn’t be too hard to meet people around here as well.

Last edited by OhioNative; Yesterday at 01:28 PM..

Old Today, 05:54 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,948,204 times
Some good suggestions so far. How are your politics, coming from NJ? If you are very liberal you might want to stick close to the college towns and not the Atlanta exurbs. If you aren’t fussed either way then I agree that Woodstock, Canton and perhaps Dahlonega are some options. Marietta but you will be very stretched for price.

If you only want a flattish 1/2 acre it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Old Today, 04:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 634,394 times
Lawrenceville! Yep. They have a lively and emerging downtown area with live music, and a brewery (a 2nd in nearby Suwanee), and the Gwinnett Regional Hospital is excellent. The area's affordable too.

This is the ATL suburb Elizabeth Warren just visited a few days ago, and Nationally known politicians know where to go. The area has tradtionally been a conservative stronghold, but that is fading away and its now a 50/50 area.

There are older buildings downtown turned into restaurants that are a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or