Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is indeed a sprawling mega-city. And while it is relatively unique in the South (most southern "cities" are midsize, a la Augusta, Columbus, Colombia, Birmingham, Montgomery, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Raleigh,
Asheville, Charleston, and so forth), there are many other similar mega-cities in other parts of the country (Seattle, SF, LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Boston, NYC, DC, Miami). I think many folks in the South tend to view Atlanta as this all consuming monster city that is disrupting the way of life for surrounding areas. But in reality it is a simple and common example of urban growth and commerce in a global economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Honestly, I'm a little surprised Metro Atlanta is including counties such as Meriwether, Pike & Lamar. These counties are largely still rural. I've always associated Meriwether county with nearby Pine Mountain & LaGrange (both in neighboring Troup County) which are both associated with Columbus. Hm... Guess the MSA guys got a bit carried away?
I'm surprised they dont include Hall County. If they include Meriwether, Pike, Lamar, they might as well include Hall. Honestly though, most people dont include Meriwether, Pike, and Lamar in metro Atlanta. I mean i live in Carroll, like 45 miles from Atlanta and I don't consider Carroll metro Atlanta. Really the only counties I consider Metro Atlanta are Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Clayton, Henry, Fayette, Douglas, Cobb. These are closest counties to the city of Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
I agree with you there, Matt. They should include Hall County and have the Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Gainesville MSA. (As well as Athens)

I do not agree with Decatur. I think, as said in this thread before, that Atlanta has begun more high density development closer to the perimeter. Yes, there will still be sprawl, but I don't think Atlanta will engulf other decent sized cities such as Chattanooga, Columbus, Macon, Augusta... and especially places like Birmingham or Greenville. However, I do think there will be another megalopolis where there would be a string of development along the interstate. An example being Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Providence, Boston (which is probably what you were referring to when you made that comment). Not exactly one big city, but a string of closely connected cities that would include cities like Montgomery, Auburn, LaGrange, Atlanta, Athens, Greenville, Spartanburg, Raleigh, etc.. Basically the I-85 corridor.

Me personally, I would consider Carroll County on the fringe of Atlanta suburbia.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta will eventually swallow Birmingham, Chattanooga, Columbus, Macon, Greenville, Spartanburg, Augusta and Charlotte. Welcome to Charlantaham!
I serious debult that will seriously happen in this life time

Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I agree with you there, Matt. They should include Hall County and have the Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Gainesville MSA. (As well as Athens)

I do not agree with Decatur. I think, as said in this thread before, that Atlanta has begun more high density development closer to the perimeter. Yes, there will still be sprawl, but I don't think Atlanta will engulf other decent sized cities such as Chattanooga, Columbus, Macon, Augusta... and especially places like Birmingham or Greenville. However, I do think there will be another megalopolis where there would be a string of development along the interstate. An example being Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Providence, Boston (which is probably what you were referring to when you made that comment). Not exactly one big city, but a string of closely connected cities that would include cities like Montgomery, Auburn, LaGrange, Atlanta, Athens, Greenville, Spartanburg, Raleigh, etc.. Basically the I-85 corridor.

Me personally, I would consider Carroll County on the fringe of Atlanta suburbia.
I think you're right about the northeast corner of Carroll being on the fringe of suburbia, but Carroll goes to the Alabama border, and the western half of Carroll is definitely not suburban, it's very rural.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Sorry, should have specified. The northeastern portions of Carroll County (basically from Villa Rica to Carrollton) I would consider the western fringes of Atlanta suburbia.. Western Carroll county by the GA/AL is indeed rural. (For me personally, it goes along the 20 corridor into Haralson County/Bremen, then that ends it..for now) lol

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
I serious debult that will seriously happen in this life time
That comment was 'tongue-in-cheek', I assure you.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Atlanta is indeed a sprawling mega-city. And while it is relatively unique in the South (most southern "cities" are midsize, a la Augusta, Columbus, Colombia, Birmingham, Montgomery, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Raleigh,
Asheville, Charleston, and so forth), there are many other similar mega-cities in other parts of the country (Seattle, SF, LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Boston, NYC, DC, Miami). I think many folks in the South tend to view Atlanta as this all consuming monster city that is disrupting the way of life for surrounding areas. But in reality it is a simple and common example of urban growth and commerce in a global economy.
Miami is another part of the country? D.C., Houston and Dallas aren't exactly in the far corners either...

Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I'm surprised they dont include Hall County. If they include Meriwether, Pike, Lamar, they might as well include Hall. Honestly though, most people dont include Meriwether, Pike, and Lamar in metro Atlanta. I mean i live in Carroll, like 45 miles from Atlanta and I don't consider Carroll metro Atlanta. Really the only counties I consider Metro Atlanta are Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Clayton, Henry, Fayette, Douglas, Cobb. These are closest counties to the city of Atlanta.
Paulding? Forsyth? Cherokee? Coweta? You do know that Coweta County shares a large border with Fulton County....right?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:23 PM

Metro Atlanta has sooo many counties. I'm sure he forgot to add them in on accident. haha

However, I'm more inclined to remember Clayton over a county like Rockdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia