U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,622 times

Advertisements

What city will Atlanta consume/merge with first? Macon, Chattanooga, Columbus, or Augusta? Will it be more beneficial or inconvenient for the area? How many of these cities can Atlanta actually grow into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,594,237 times
Well, you'll probably get more sane responses in the Atlanta room since the rest of Georgia hates the city. LOL

In terms of reality though, Atlanta's growth over the last 2-3 decades has focused more on the Northside than any other, and that really hasn't shown any signs of changing. There's an 8 out of 10 chance that one day (25 years?) from now, Chattanooga will be a "rural suburb" of Atlanta. Eventually the East/South expansions will pick up more, but not at the pace of the Northern migration.

For quite some time now there has been discussions between Chattanooga and Atlanta to even build a high speed rail line between their two airports. The reasoning that some airfares are cheaper up there, some here, and in general for tourism it would be good. Chattanooga doesn't have close to enough money to do it on their own - Atlanta's mismanagement of nearly 70 million dollars recently, pretty much guarantees it won't come from here either. Since most all Federal spare money is being pumped into the war, there's slim chance any Fed-money will chip in, either - so, most likely unless a train fairy pops in and poofs one out of thin air, that 'aint gonna happen.

So, my guess is that around 2035, commuting to Atlanta for work from Chattanooga will be about the same as it is now if you commute from Cartersville or so to town. It'll take 3 hours each way or so. Welcome to L.A. ;-)

Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM

913 posts, read 2,626,197 times
My guess is that Macon would be first followed soon by Columbus. Chattanooga just seems too far away.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,946,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
My guess is that Macon would be first followed soon by Columbus. Chattanooga just seems too far away.
I agree, there is a lot of growth south of Atlanta. If my memory serves correctly; Griffin was once a part of metro Macon. More people started to commute to Atlanta for employment and entertainment and Griffin got gobbled up. A commuter rail from Chattanooga to Atlanta would be a benefit for Chattanooga not Atlanta. Also Meriwether County was more or less a part of Columbus metro, until the textile industries went across the big pond. Maybe by 2030 we will referring to metro Atlanta as Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Marietta/Macon metro area. Of course Atlanta and Columbus do share Troup and Meriwether counties currently, as people commute both directions for work and play.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,505,267 times
Even the most sprawling city in the world, Los Angeles doesn't sprawl to the extent to engulf cities such as Bakersfield and Barstow and make them suburbs.. which are similar distances from LA as Chattanooga, Columbus, and Macon are from Atlanta. If anyone has visited Atrlanta recently, you will realise that the trend is toward high density growth inside the perimeter.. dubbed "smart growth." It is puzzling to me to find so many people on this forum enamored with the idea of "sprawl." It's not a development pattern that should be welcomed or encouraged. Finally Atlanta is getting around to devloping a high density urban core with mixed use of residential, office, retail, and entertainment.
The lack of water resources in North Georgia simply will not allow this type of wasteful sprawl development to continue as it has unchecked.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM

20,962 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I say Chattanooga...the growth is more intensive to the north of Atlanta, and there is only one county (Gordon) between the Chattanooga and Atlanta SMSAs at this point.
Plus, those northside commuters are beginning to cast covetous eyes towards Chattanooga's airport...

Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM

913 posts, read 2,626,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I say Chattanooga...the growth is more intensive to the north of Atlanta, and there is only one county (Gordon) between the Chattanooga and Atlanta SMSAs at this point.
Plus, those northside commuters are beginning to cast covetous eyes towards Chattanooga's airport...
North Atlanta is built out in many places. I think the southside will continue to boom, just look at Newnan and Peachtree City, they continue to grow very well. With Kia coming to LaGrange and BRAC to Columbus, I think the I-85 corridor will see explosive growth over the next 5-10 years. Chattanooga just seems too far removed compared to Columbus and Macon.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Actually Chattanooga is about the same distance from Atlanta as Columbus (in fact it may be a tad closer).. but still too far away to become a suburb of Atlanta.. unless we start driving flying cars that go 200 mph.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:32 PM

602 posts, read 1,736,062 times
Man, I would really hate to see Atlanta attach itself to a nice place like Chattanooga. But I guess Atlanta, like most noxious parasites, will go where the water is.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:44 PM

Like I said... even Los Angeles.. the most sprawling metropolis in the world, doesn't sprawl that far.. and neither will Atlanta.. there are some limits on how far out a single metropolitan area can sprawl. BUt what you guys may be hinting at is what is common in the northeast and midwest where... invidual metropolitan areas grow independent of another but where their edges come close to touching.. but these areas are still independent metropolitan areas.. I mean Washington, DC hasn't engulfed Baltimore.. but both metro areas are pretty much conriguous to one another..but they still remain pretty much independent and seperate for the most part. YOu may see the rural gaps between places like Atlanta and Chattanooga and Columbus shrink.. but they will still remain their independence as self sufficienta nd self contained metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or